Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #21

I do the very same procedure as you just described but it seems my chips are coming from the fuel nozzle especially if I leave it in while moving to the passenger side. I was even thinking of getting a lead vent flashing which is used on residential applications to put around the filler area before fueling. I like to think outside the box.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdrip View Post
Hello. My name is David. I've been reading the forums since purchasing our Seneca last November. It's been very helpful.

I have a question. When filling with diesel the chain on the fuel cap and the fuel nozzle are chipping the paint on the Seneca. Has anyone found an extension or something to protect the paint?

Many thanks.
My 2012 Seneca cab steps non-skid was lifting and also dealing with scratches around the fuel filler nozzle. My fix was to take the steps off to my local Line-X dealer having the steps sprayed to include the filler neck area, which is pervious to fuel, oil and most anything else. Used stainless steel screws and countersunk washers to reinstall the steps. Three years later and it still looks like the day the steps went back on the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca Line-X Stairs copy.jpg  
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimonson View Post
My 2012 Seneca cab steps non-skid was lifting and also dealing with scratches around the fuel filler nozzle. My fix was to take the steps off to my local Line-X dealer having the steps sprayed to include the filler neck area, which is pervious to fuel, oil and most anything else. Used stainless steel screws and countersunk washers to reinstall the steps. Three years later and it still looks like the day the steps went back on the RV.
Well, that's cool!
What is Line-X? Some type of spray on bedliner?
As far as the shortness of the chain and chipping. The chains are the right length, but sometimes get twisted, taking the time to make sure they are long enough, slows down the chipping.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #24

Yes, Line-X is a brand of spray on bedliner. My body shop used a different product but it also is warranted for life against peeling, chipping, or softening. I have splashed diesel on it with absolutely no effect. And the wet grip is fantastic.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #25

Thank you, sounds like a great idea!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #26

Yes, Line-X is a spray on bedliner. Google Line-X for a dealer near you.
jsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #27

Fuel neck

This is what I done to fix my problem. Simply made a padded collar. I also lengthened the chain by about 6"
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01096.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	32166

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01097.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	32167
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #28

Wish I found out about this thread sooner. Anyway, ended up spending some money, but this is how I fixed mine. Works pretty good though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0307.JPG   IMG_0308.JPG  
gicanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicanuck View Post
Wish I found out about this thread sooner. Anyway, ended up spending some money, but this is how I fixed mine. Works pretty good though.

Did you build that extension or buy it? If bought, can you say where? If built, can you share a drawing? I've learned from my other trucks we use for work (Freightliner M2's) that you can't fill these tanks above the bottom of the existing neck without risking interference with your venting. Have you seen this to be a problem now that your fill port is well above the top of the tank where the vent ports are located?

Please share any thoughts.
RayBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
The potential could be that due to expansion it may come out the over flow tube. Having said that I have used these since July of 2016. I personally fill mine to just above the original openings. To further peak my curiosity I have used jerry cans and topped tanks up even higher to see if expansion becomes a factor. I then parked my unit on my driveway nose slightly down and to the left .I inserted a boro scope to see how close the fuel was to the top, there was still air space at this level of filling. I left this to heat up in the sun and did not see any fuel out of overflow tubes. I have also filled tanks up higher at the pumps but then hit the road immediately to get maximum range and drop tank levels. The temperatures would be much higher in the southern states and this could become a factor? I will be travelling to the factory next April then south to Florida and back through Texas so I would have some more info then. I developed these to prevent scratches to the fairings, additional fuel capacity was not in the initial thought process and became known after trying a few fills. I do know we travel to the same location in the Rockies about 4-5 time a year to go atving. Before extensions and transmission reprogram I would use just over half a tank to get there, with these two modifications I now arrive having used just one quarter of a tank. I have spoke to Matt at Allison and will do one more mod next spring. To fine tune the shifts even more time, he mentioned I could wire in a second switch to the transmission and switch it from ecno mode to performance mode, all the while keeping my od switch operational. This may cover the shift lag spot when pulling a trailer up hill in heavy winds. So in closing people have purchased them to protect their units from damage and then fill to their comfort level.
This is the guy I got these from. Gord is the name and he's really awesome to deal with. I got it off his website at extendafill.com. He could probably explain the details whole a lot better than I could. Hope this helps!
gicanuck is offline   Reply With Quote