Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
But the cost estimate above for an RV of $7600 at 10mph is a misnomer. The net difference between an RV and your TV without an RV or a truck with the same engine package will be less than half that amount since your MPG will maybe go from 18 to 10.

Don't let MPG run you out of RVing. Drive to that resort and stay in a hotel or cabin and add up your cost when you get back home. We don't RV just to save $$ but we often do.
I'm not sure what you mean by "misnomer", but the $7600 isn't an error. It's a fact, and an important one. You need to know the cost of driving your RV, as it can be a substantial amount, and you need that number to compare your travel costs with other ways of traveling, whether it's in a RV, car, van, tent trailer, whatever.

You should not limit the comparisons to the "same engine package", either, as it's the dollars that are important, not the "engine package" that consumes them. MPG can be as little 6 on an old unit without fuel injection, or over 20 mpg on small Class B, and significantly higher with a car and tent trailer.

A lot of people new to RVs have a poor understanding of their costs and their value. Asking questions about mpg is a good start on the costs, but it's not the only cost. Depreciation is a major cost if you buy new; others can be commercial campground fees and storage fees if you can't park it at home, and so on.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #22

If you're concerned with mileage and do a lot of traveling ( and need a tow vehicle that's a good daily driver too) these are great trailers. I know someone with one and he does better then 20 mpg towing it with a RAV4.

http://tab-rv.com
Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobx2 View Post
Not being a wise guy, but if fuel economy is a concern then maybe RVing is not for you. It is rare to see better than 12 mpg with any type of RV and/or TV while towing. I average around 10 mpg pulling my 5th wheel.
Maybe when I am rich like bobx2 I wont have to worry about fuel costs. But until then its always a consideration on where and how often we will go camping. But we enjoy it and its definitely for us.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #24

I recommend taking a sister or brother with you, one you can at least tolerate, and make them pay for half the cost of gasoline. HE HE.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6A View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "misnomer", but the $7600 isn't an error. It's a fact, and an important one. You need to know the cost of driving your RV, as it can be a substantial amount, and you need that number to compare your travel costs with other ways of traveling, whether it's in a RV, car, van, tent trailer, whatever.

Here's my point. If you drive your SUV to Disney World and stay in a resort hotel, you may spend X$$'s compared to X+Y $$'s in your RV. The net is not the full fuel cost, but rather the difference. The 20k miles in the example generating the $7600 is the total fuel cost. Assuming you were going to drive that same 20k miles but get better mpg in your SUV, the cost would be less than the $7600 but not ZERO. Unless your option to RV'ing was to stay at home, the cost of $7600 is a missnomer like I said. You may have spent that much in your RV, but would have spent a good portion of it anyway unless you stayed at home and watch tv.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #26

Any idea what the super c with diesel gets in average? I would expect a good bit better than an overweight gas aspirated class c
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Maybe when I am rich like bobx2 I wont have to worry about fuel costs. But until then its always a consideration on where and how often we will go camping. But we enjoy it and its definitely for us.
I really don't think he was implying that only rich people can RV and not worry about the cost of fuel. Rather I believe he was making the point that the "extra" cost of fuel when traveling in an RV or pulling one is a part of the overall package of enjoying what an RV can bring to a family. No its not cheap, but neither if flying to New Orleans or driving the family minivan to the Rocky Mtn NP and staying in a hotel. The total cost of a vacation or family recreation is a consideration to most of us and determines what and how often we are able to do something. There is a value to participating in the RV lifestyle. If the extra cost of fuel erases that value to someone, then they ought not partake of it.

PS: My first trip to Alaska back in 08 involved renting a motorhome in Anchorage and driving about 2000 plus miles thru some of the most beautiful scenery known to man. It happened to coinside with a spike in gas costs and I paid over $6 per gallon and got 8 mpg. I told my wife that if the extra fuel cost [say $1.50 per gal], about $400 over the price of gas a month or so earlier was going to break the bank then we couldn't afford to take the trip in the first place. Rich?? Not this guy. Just pointing out that a higher fuel bill for a trip costing around $5 or 6k was about the same as the extra cost for groceries up there.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #28

grey hawk runs 8mpg with v10. oh well!! as my brother say don't want to pay for fuel quit driving
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #29

Seneca with Cummins 6.7 diesel runs me between 10.5 and 12.5. 2015 model year
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Any idea what the super c with diesel gets in average? I would expect a good bit better than an overweight gas aspirated class c
I considered a diesel when I bought my first class C fifteen years ago. At the time, the extra costs of the diesel (purchase price and routine maintenance) meant I'd have to drive 30,000-40,000 miles a year to break even financially. The heavier engine subtracted hundred's of pounds from the payload, too. The calculations may have changed now, and the diesel has features some will prefer, even it doesn't reduce their cost.

My experience is depreciation and fuel are the biggest expenses (back then, interest costs were important, but interest rates are much lower now). Routine maintenance (oil changes, etc) and consumables (tires, brakes, etc) were much smaller costs, as was insurance. We drive 10,000-12,000 miles a year, which makes fuel cost important, but rarely stay in a commercial campground.

Put all these expenses in a spreadsheet (and others you'll have), estimate the costs for the kind of trips you'll be making, and see what it adds to. Do the same for the other traveling styles you're considering. You might surprise yourself. For us, the break even financially was about two months of travel for the motorhome to be cheaper than a car and nice motels.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #31

I get about 9.5 mpg towing on an 08 Seneca with the Durmax 6.6 diesel engine
Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #32

I get between 10 & 11 mpg towing a 3500lb Honda CRV with our 2014 Seneca.
WOX04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #33

10.5-12

Tim
2008 JF GII 26BHS (9300# GVWR)
2010 Ram 2500 CCLB w/ 6.7 cummins.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote