Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #1

Full body paint vs regular white exterior

Fixing to buy a Jayco Greyhawk class c. Not sure whether to get full body paint or regular white exterior. What would ya'll recommend and what are the pros and cons of each. Thanks
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #2

Welcome to JOF. Tough call, mostly a budget driven decision. Today’s gelcoat and vinyl decals are pretty stable but full body paint looks rich. Ive seen a few 5 or 6 year old rigs that would have benifited from full paint as the cab and coach no longer match.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Full paint will get the rig hotter in the sun. White will not be nearly as hot to the touch or radiate as much heat inside.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Also wondering which one is easier to upkeep and keep clean
Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

I would imagine paint would look cleaner even if it was just as dirty as my white.

On the flip side the way these thing depreciate I’d make extra sure the one I’m buying I absolutely loved before I dropped paint upgrade money on it. I’ve flipped out of too many for all sorts of reasons.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

White is the most popular car color.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #7

Haha my car is also white !

Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #8

Boy, I would love for our Seneca 37FS to just be was plain white. I seem to just get this black cleaned up, we hit the road and almost always have rain or some type of road debris to spoil the shine. Ah well, it keeps me out of the bars.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #9

So for it looks like the white exterior may be the way to go. Other opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #10

I think the full body paint is gorgeous, but couldn't justify the additional cost for it.

IIRC there were a couple of folks on here recently that had a bad experience with the paint. Think it was poorly done job overall, but not sure.

To rgoldings point, either way, the rig is filthy as soon as you hit the road We always seem to hit rain too
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

I have full paint, no issues with quality of the job, it looks great. Ive had white and now full paint. Personally, i think it hides dirt and black streaks better then all white did. Also can power wash the rig without having to worry about damaging stickers.

Perhaps it adds to the heat load, if it does the 2 ACs have no issues dealing with it.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Dada, it’s all according to where you spend your time. The colors do get hotter.
Our last three coaches had full color and we like that.
We live in Florida and the browns do warm up. I used an infrared gun to read the temps and this is what I fouled in direct sun.
The brown was 167 degrees while the ivory was 104. Big difference as you can see.
We always get complements on our coaches with color.
Hard choice but again if you live in hot climate you may save some money and get the white finish.
Happy shopping, Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #13

No stickers on the Seneca's, all the swirls and stripes are paint and then clear coated.

Yes, the black is hot in the Summer. Did I mention it was hot. AC runs quite a bit,our back one runs almost continuously Winter and Summer. Of course, we spend Winter in Florida and Summer in upstate New York. Living the dream.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #14

The greyhawk 29mv is the one we want with the full body paint but we or worried about all the black on the coach. It really does have a lot of black. Guess we just make our minds up and go for it. Thanks for the advice and input.
Dada
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #15

If the 29MV does not have dual ACs, do not get full body paint !

Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Boy, I would love for our Seneca 37FS to just be was plain white. I seem to just get this black cleaned up, we hit the road and almost always have rain or some type of road debris to spoil the shine. Ah well, it keeps me out of the bars.
With ya on this one...

I put my hand on the different colors of our Seneca when in the sun and the light colors are warm, the medium ones are hot and the dark brown is going to burn my hand.

We have been discussing having a partial vehicle wrap put on the forward portion of the overcab that is all dark - something a lighter color that does not make the inside so warm up there.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
With ya on this one...

I put my hand on the different colors of our Seneca when in the sun and the light colors are warm, the medium ones are hot and the dark brown is going to burn my hand.

We have been discussing having a partial vehicle wrap put on the forward portion of the overcab that is all dark - something a lighter color that does not make the inside so warm up there.
SloPoke, before you wrap the front cap make sure it won’t interact with you paint finish. One the the companies I owned was a full graphics company that did a lot of that work. Even using 3M products we found that the glues sometimes when heated in the sun for long periods would degrade the paint finish. I would be cautious moving forward. Good luck, Jimmyd
Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
SloPoke, before you wrap the front cap make sure it won’t interact with you paint finish. One the the companies I owned was a full graphics company that did a lot of that work. Even using 3M products we found that the glues sometimes when heated in the sun for long periods would degrade the paint finish. I would be cautious moving forward. Good luck, Jimmyd
Thank you for the heads-up. Our go-to guy is a long time friend who grew up in our neighborhood. He owns Justin's Tint here in SLC, and his clientele are mostly upscale and luxury vehicles. I will check with him on this exact concern.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Thank you for the heads-up. Our go-to guy is a long time friend who grew up in our neighborhood. He owns Justin's Tint here in SLC, and his clientele are mostly upscale and luxury vehicles. I will check with him on this exact concern.
SloPoke, funny thing is one of the guys who ran that company for me lives out near you. His name is Harlan Smith.
We keep missing him when we’re out that way. Good luck with your wrap. Jimmyd
Old 03-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #20

Mine is white...Love it!!!
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote