Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2022, 12:28 PM   #1

Furnace and steps

My furnace will fire up and run for a few seconds then go off, it will do that four or five times then it stay light. Looking for answers!

My steps will not stay out! The switch is not allowing then to stay out! I have to crawl under the coach and disconnect the wiring to have them stay out! Then to close them I crawl under the coach again and connect the wiring and the steps will go in and out! Looking for solutions!

Thanks!
Muely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #2

Welcome aboard! What year is your 24B?

Regarding the furnace, The sail switch is the most common issue. It confirms air flow across the heat exchanger. No or not enough air flow it will shut down the furnace.

The sail switches are known to go bad or get dirt build up on them. So it might need to be cleaned or replaced.

The second issue is altitude, you are in Montana and the air is thinner at altitude and there is less force pressing on the switch, which signals a fault at startup and it will shutdown.

What model furnace do you have? Do you have an outside access to it?

On most campers, access to the sail switch in not the easiest thing to access, because the furnaces are buried, without outside access.

This video has an outside furnace access.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muely View Post
My furnace will fire up and run for a few seconds then go off, it will do that four or five times then it stay light. Looking for answers!

Mine usually does that three to five times before staying lit.
I just considered it normal startup.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:15 PM   #4

2020 and it happens in AZ as well in regards to furnace! Thanks
Old 03-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #5

Steps

I believe your solution to the furnace has already been answered but as far as the steps there is a magnetic switch somewhere on your door. If the magnet gets dislodged far enough from the other part of the switch it will not close. Just look for the two and see if they are close together. You can also check with another magnet by putting it next to the sensor. If that is not your problem then I would suspect a broken wire which you could trace down with a multimeter.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:56 PM   #6

Steps

I've checked the magnets and that's not the problem. It's seems to me it is in the wiring and/or the switch that's controls for it to stay open when the switch is activated!
Old 03-02-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

OK, your best bet would be to go to the Jayco website and search for the support area where you would enter your VIN. Once in you can download the steps info including a troubleshooting guide and the schematic. Then it would be just trial and error checking.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:27 PM   #8

Steps

Thanks Joey55!
Old 03-02-2022, 09:46 PM   #9

OK for the steps, this is my weird experience. It seems to me that there is some safety wiring hidden somewhere and with mine I discovered that when the key was in the ignition, the steps would NOT stay out. Shut the door, in they go regardless of position of the step switch
I was also having an issue with the solenoid that sends 12v to charge the house batteries and I discovered that the steps, on mine at least are wired to the house battery side of the solenoid.
This is was all trial and error, I really am no expert at this, BUT my house batteries charge and my steps cooperate so I did something right
NoImMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #10

Steps

Thanks for your scenario!
Old 03-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muely View Post
Thanks for your scenario!

Step problems are super common. Two (or three) years ago, the motor died on ours. Now, the "override" switch no longer works. The steps operate in and out with the door, regardless of the switch position; I can't get them to Stay Down.

Googlin' a lot - I finally bought a test harness and found a manual that tells you how to test to see if the controller is borked or not. It's been too cold (and a blown-out knee) for me to get under and do the test, but I'll do it in a couple of weeks.

A borked controller is often the culprit when you've ruled out everything else.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #12

Great video for step problems.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #13

Steps

Thanks for your post! Take care!