Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

FYI Generator 2015 Seneca TS

Most may know this, but I will share anyway. After leaving a camp ground early in am later I stopped and was dry camping in a parking lot. When I tried to start my generator it would not start. After a few tries I checked the air conditioners and found i had not turned them off. I turned both of and the generator started no problem. I now know the generator will start with one air switched on, but not with two. I suspect best methods would tell you not to have any loads on when starting generator.
johnd
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #2

I have a 2014 TS and have experienced a somewhat different scenario than what you describe. When I have left the A/C units turned "on" and it was hot enough for cooling to occur, the generator starts fine and runs unloaded for a short time. Then the transfer switch tries to close, but it will not remain closed due to (apparently) the large simultaneous load. It will try this several times, pausing a short time between cycles, until I realize what is happening. Shut one A/C or the other off and then it will load. Wait 15 seconds or so after that and the second can then be switched on too.

I wonder if something in the setup changed from '14 to '15 to make them behave differently?
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Generator loading on start

Robby
I was not talking about auto start. This happened when I decided to start the generator manually after travel. It acted as you describe, but I was doing it with the switch. Several tries then i realized the airs were on and yes all I have to do is turn off one and then it starts and I can turn the second on with no issue.
I guess if you are going to use auto start maybe you should only have one air in the on position.
You would think with 8000 watts there would not be an issue.
I have found (to my surprise) the auto air is all i need on the road with just the wife and I up front. Even at 95 degrees in Tunica a week ago I had to turn down the auto air as it was too cold. It was after dark, but that was a pleasant surprise. I have had 12 DP's and never was the auto air enough without roof air to back it up. They had had 12kw to 19 kw generators so two or more roof airs was never a start up problem.
johnd
Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #4

I read yours again, your genny was running and would not transfer, now I am not sure if I remember right. I was thinking the genny did not start, but maybe it was transfer. Seems like it was the way I described the first time, maybe not.
johnd
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #5

I had the same issue and found best to start ten w/o the units on and wait until the transfer switch comes on. Then switch them on one at a time.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Yes, I was starting it manually and it would run but not transfer the load. You would hear it try engaging and the engine would momentarily slow then "release" and try again after about 10 seconds. Only took a few times before I figured out what I did.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, nostart