Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #1

Garden hoses

Can I get some guidance on the use of garden hoses?

1. Hose or hoses for fresh water. Do not use for #2 or #3. No real questions here.

2. Hose to rinse black tank hose and hose flange (which I have) which fits into dump station hole - at dump station if no hose is supplied. But, what about rinsing the black water hose and hose flange when there is on-site dumping? I would have to hook this hose to the fresh water spigot. Seems unsanitary. In addition, what if the last guy hooked this hose to the fresh water spigot?

3. Hose for black water flush. I’m new to a flush system, but I assume that this is generally done on-site because it could inconvenience others waiting to dump at a dump station. If that assumption is correct, can this be the same hose as #2? The reason I ask is because #2 could be used at a dump station where the spigot is probably more unsanitary that an on-site spigot. Which leads to the same as above - I would have to hook this hose to the fresh water spigot. Seems unsanitary.

I know this is a lot to go through, but any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Ronscomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronscomm View Post
Can I get some guidance on the use of garden hoses?

1. Hose or hoses for fresh water. Do not use for #2 or #3. No real questions here.

2. Hose to rinse black tank hose and hose flange (which I have) which fits into dump station hole - at dump station if no hose is supplied. But, what about rinsing the black water hose and hose flange when there is on-site dumping? I would have to hook this hose to the fresh water spigot. Seems unsanitary. In addition, what if the last guy hooked this hose to the fresh water spigot?

3. Hose for black water flush. I’m new to a flush system, but I assume that this is generally done on-site because it could inconvenience others waiting to dump at a dump station. If that assumption is correct, can this be the same hose as #2? The reason I ask is because #2 could be used at a dump station where the spigot is probably more unsanitary that an on-site spigot. Which leads to the same as above - I would have to hook this hose to the fresh water spigot. Seems unsanitary.

I know this is a lot to go through, but any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

1. I bought a white - "drinking water approved" hose for our fresh water. But, I'll freely admit to filling up the tank, many times, with our garden hose.

3. I have a separate 10' green garden hose for the black tank flush.

2. I can't help you here. I would think you'd be able to make things work with two hoses and a box of Clorox Wipes.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #3

We don't drink campground water. We buy a 24 pack of bottled waters, and keep them in the oven we don't use. I have one white hose that I connect to the city water. It's the only hose I carry. First I dump the black, then shut off the valve, then I dump the grey, which rinses the black out from the hose. I don't rinse the grey. I just call it good and stick it in the bumper. I use the garden hose to put some water in for the trip, but doesn't matter. We got the bottled water.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:05 AM   #4

Here’s our setup/routine: I run the CG faucet a bit, then wipe it good with a Lysol wipe. Then attach my “Y” fitting to the bib.

1) Attach my white hose to one half of the Y and to city connect. Use ONLY for fresh water and store separately from any others.

2 & 3) my designated black collapsible (Zero-G) hose attaches to a quick-connect that attaches to a backflow fitting, both of which stay on the other leg of the Y. That way I know never to hook the white into it. I use this hose only for connecting to the black tank flush connection and store it in a separate tote. I also occasionally use it for the hose-fitting cleanout, but not much. No real need as I also do gray tank flush last.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. That clears up a few things for me.
Ronscomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #6

Just to share, I picked up one of these as I was outfitting for my first RV adventure. It's probably overkill, but the hose is clean and doesn't have any odors.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Cleanin...ds=Camco+rinse
Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Just to share, I picked up one of these as I was outfitting for my first RV adventure. It's probably overkill, but the hose is clean and doesn't have any odors.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Cleanin...ds=Camco+rinse
I did the same. Seems to work well.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #8

Any hose used for drinking water needs to be one that is made for that purpose. Garden hoses are not safe to drink from due to toxins. Info about this is online.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #9

Bill Shatner and I drank from garden hoses most of our youth and we are just fine.

Right, Bill?
Attached Thumbnails
ShatnerChoke.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Any hose used for drinking water needs to be one that is made for that purpose. Garden hoses are not safe to drink from due to toxins. Info about this is online.

True...however I grew up drinking from every water faucet with a regular green hose. I haven’t grown a third eye or died. Yet [emoji23]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Bill Shatner and I drank from garden hoses most of our youth and we are just fine.

Right, Bill?

Lmao Murff!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #12

I use the blue water hose, much stronger than the white hose. I've had the white hose grown a bubble and fail on me. I purchase a 50' hose, but about 15 - 18 foot off and make two hoses out of it. Normally the shorter hose is within reach of the spigot but if not I can use the longer one, or both. Cost for a 50' is not much more than the 25' hose. I do also carry a standard hose which I use for my black tank flush.

Yes I also drank from a garden hose when young, and never had seat belts in a car till I was in my 20's. Would "hitch" a ride on my sled behind a car also... none of which I suggest today's snowflakes should do. Sometimes you just learn by getting older and wiser...other times you just get older

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #13

I use a y for my water and a back flow preventer (below) on my blank tank flush hose. Haven’t researched it, but I am pretty sure the black tank flush itself also has a back flow preventer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
Snip...
I am pretty sure the black tank flush itself also has a back flow preventer.

Yes they do. Just ask the owners that have LEAKING back flow preventers! (a common occurrence, unfortunately).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Yes they do. Just ask the owners that have LEAKING back flow preventers! (a common occurrence, unfortunately).
Seems those things, either for an RV or a faucet, can only exist in two states- working and spraying water everywhere. And that's it. No in between.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #16

White hoses under pressure are less likely to get hot and burst while lying in the hot sun.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
asjdhf
Attached Thumbnails
a2f8035bd33203e51a1b84f61fbd694f.jpg  

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #18

Most cheap green houses can contain lead. Fine for flushing black tank, not so fine for drinking water.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #19

No matter what hose you attach to a campground spigot, always, always clean the spigot with a water bleach mixture before making your attachment. You have no idea how clean a hose the previous camper used.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Quote:
Not toxic, it's the taste.

That being said; white for potable/drinking/fresh water only.
Garden or whatever hose for all other.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote