Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Garmin 600 series

I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne which came with a cool Garmin 600 series Infotainment System (I think it is a 660 but not near it right now). Anyway this has great potential and is really cool but I think this may be the first attempt and has a fell short comings.
First, the GUI (graphical user interface) has multiple zones but they adjust the two dash speakers AND the two kitchen speakers at the same time...I can't turn down the kitchen speakers and turn up the dash speakers...can anyone else adjust them independently?
Second, what is the point of the wifi capability?
Third, I have to wrestle with it to play music via the Music App...does anyone else have any issues?
Fourth, I can't get it to play movies, movies that I installed on SD card...why is it called an InfoTAINMENT when it doesn't play movies?
Finally, what features and creative ways do others really make use this?

I only really use it for it navigation features (ILO Google navigator because it considers size/weight of RV for roadways)...so I think I am under-using it's potential, especially when camping.
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #2

Our new 2019 jayco sits in our driveway directly from the dealer so dw has not yet tried it. Dw is the electronic wizard so have to wait for her..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Below is a link to the online manual for the RV-BBT600 Series, it should answer a lot of your questions.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...-homepage.html

1. I can adjust my dash and kitchen separately with no issues. Look under Playing Media / Adjusting the Volume / Speaker Zones for instructions. FYI: There is a Fusion-Link App (Android & Apple) that can also be used to adjust zones & use the system.
  2. The Remote and Dock are two devices, they communicate over wifi. The system can also be used as an Access Point. Look under Customizing the Device / Wi-Fi Settings for instructions.
  3. I have no issues playing music. Typically use radio, stream over Bluetooth or for TV. Not sure with your rv, in my RV the main tv is connected to Aux1. If you are attempting to use the USB port with an Apple device, you need to turn off the Bluetooth or disconnect the Apple device from the system or you can have playback issues.
  4. I don't think the device is capable of movies. I have never tried and the manual does not mention anything about movies.
There have been a lot of updates for this device including updated maps. If you have not done any updates, you should. They have resolved a lot of my issues. The current version is v3.20, you can navigate the system to check the current version. Look under Device Maintenance / Product Updates.

You will need to install the Garmin Express software on your computer, downloaded at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/. You have to update the Remote and Hub separately as they are separate devices, instructions are in the manual (Note: update the dock before the remote the first time. With v2.0 or earlier if the Dock is not updated first the system will no longer function).
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

@Balibe
Yes, I had read the entire manual. I had also upgraded the firmware for the dock and remote to 3.20. What is important to me is that you said you CAN change the volumes! I think they didn't hook up my system correctly. I messed around with all 4 zones and made sure they weren't set to follow zone 1. Only Zone 1 changes the volume and it changes all 4 speakers together.

I didn't know there was an app! I will be downloading and heading out to the RV tonight.

I did play around with the Access Point and even used my phone as a hotspot for the dock and remote. No big perks there because there is no file sharing that can take place...like be able to transfer music files from my phone to the remote's sdcard...or from my laptop in my house to the remote via he wifi network. I might try side loading an ftp file transfer app on to the device so I can move music files back and forth easily...perhaps the Fusion-Link will provide this for me.

Interesting you said you can play the TV through the coach speaker system! We can't and we have to turn the TV all the up to it's maximum when the Air Conditioner is on...likewise when the generator is on. Our TV does have RCA Jacks connected going somewhere!? Again, I don't think they hooked our system up correctly.

Bluetooth works good. The USB port in the dash works good when inserting a thumb drive with music on it.

Ok, just downloaded the app and heading out to play around with it.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

I have a class a 26x, not a class c melbourne. I would assume yours would be wired for zones as the function is there. Zone 1 controls the dash speakers and zone 2 the main cabin speakers, no issue controlling them independently or together at different levels. I have nothing connected to zone 3 or 4. Have you tried Jayco support to see if the zones are supposed to be separate or one? You may be able to get a diagram of the audio system.

When I select Aux1, the TV sounds go thru the speakers. Mine is on the TV RCA cables. They had to pull my radio to work on the backup camera, so I took the chance to see all the hookups. I was checking to see if zone 3/4 would control my exterior speakers.

If you figure out a way to get apps on the remote, let me know. It does not connect to the Play Store and Garmin Express has no option for loading or purchasing apps.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
I have a class a 26x, not a class c melbourne. I would assume yours would be wired for zones as the function is there. Zone 1 controls the dash speakers and zone 2 the main cabin speakers, no issue controlling them independently or together at different levels. I have nothing connected to zone 3 or 4. Have you tried Jayco support to see if the zones are supposed to be separate or one? You may be able to get a diagram of the audio system.

When I select Aux1, the TV sounds go thru the speakers. Mine is on the TV RCA cables. They had to pull my radio to work on the backup camera, so I took the chance to see all the hookups. I was checking to see if zone 3/4 would control my exterior speakers.

If you figure out a way to get apps on the remote, let me know. It does not connect to the Play Store and Garmin Express has no option for loading or purchasing apps.
I have "side loaded" the Angry Birds game on to the remote to entertain my daughter. Angree Birds takes a while to load when starting the app, but runs fine when playing. Apparently the remote has a small processor so only try small simple apps.
Perhaps when I uncover my RV I will try loading on my home automation/security app...it is very light and simple, as well as chromecast, and shopping list app.
The easiest way to "side load" an app is to use a computer to download the app on to a micro SD card and then put the sdcard into the remote. There are websites that archive older versions of apps. ApkMirror is one good site. So go online to find an older version of an app which runs on older Android versions...I don't recall what version of Android the remote runs on but perhaps it might be 3.x (at the time of this writing Jan 2019 Android is at 9.x). If you get a too new version, it won't hurt anything, it just won't run. Apps are files that have the .apk extension. Once downloaded onto sdcard and sdcard is in remote, use the file manager app (it might be called io) to navigate to the downloaded apk file on the sdcard and click it to install it. If you have trouble installing, you might need to first go into settings and select an option to "allow install from unknown sources" or something like that. If you or anyone else wants exact step by step example I can write my exact steps when I try another app.
I believe ApkMirror does check the integrity of their apk files.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

I had a bunch of problems with this unit. I was getting ready to rip it out. I got a number for Garmin technical support specifically for RV units. They walked me through the update and how to use the unit and overcome the quirks. The rep was very knowledgeable and helped me get the unit working well. If you run into any problems with the unit including failures or maintenance call this number. I had messed with this unit for many frustrating hours, they walked me through the issues in 20 minutes. I think i can now become friends with the device. Call Garmin at 1-800-253-5081
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Latest updates fix rear camera issue after using turn signals/side cameras...now goes back to the previous screen you were on, so if on rear camera, goes back there after turn signal, if on navigation, goes back there after turn signal. Finally fixed this PITA issue!

Two updates out there, one for base unit, one for remote.
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #9

Here is what I was told be Garmin support...
...the dash unit has a single 4 channel amp, that back of the unit has line level RCA Jack's for each zone, it also has a quick connect from the built in 4 channel am...so the unit has two ways to hook up speakers. Jayco contracts them to install using the quick connect which means all four speakers are amplified using the single built in amplifier. To use the RCA speaker connections (line level) would require an external amplifier...which Jayco is not installing. So turning up the volume turns up all zones (only 1 amp). I could purchase an external 2 channel amp and use the RCA line level to connect 2 speakers and keep the other two connected via the internal amp. This way the zone controls will be able to change the volume of speakers independently. Further more he said I could have TV playing out two speakers while other two speakers could be playing music.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
Here is what I was told be Garmin support...
...the dash unit has a single 4 channel amp, that back of the unit has line level RCA Jack's for each zone, it also has a quick connect from the built in 4 channel am...so the unit has two ways to hook up speakers. Jayco contracts them to install using the quick connect which means all four speakers are amplified using the single built in amplifier. To use the RCA speaker connections (line level) would require an external amplifier...which Jayco is not installing. So turning up the volume turns up all zones (only 1 amp). I could purchase an external 2 channel amp and use the RCA line level to connect 2 speakers and keep the other two connected via the internal amp. This way the zone controls will be able to change the volume of speakers independently. Further more he said I could have TV playing out two speakers while other two speakers could be playing music.
Interesting since on our Seneca, I can control the front and rear zones separately. On original setup it shows 4 zones but our Seneca only uses 2 zones, the cab speakers and the rear speaker and you can turn off zones 3 and 4 so they don’t even show on the screen. We usually have them so the rear speakers are a little louder than the cab but when the DW goes back to nap while I drive, I can turn the rear speakers down or off.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Interesting since on our Seneca, I can control the front and rear zones separately. On original setup it shows 4 zones but our Seneca only uses 2 zones, the cab speakers and the rear speaker and you can turn off zones 3 and 4 so they don’t even show on the screen. We usually have them so the rear speakers are a little louder than the cab but when the DW goes back to nap while I drive, I can turn the rear speakers down or off.
I am guessing Jayco is no longer having Garmin install the external amplifier anymore. Probably to keep prices down. Perhaps it is on a per model basis too. Whatever the reason, I got screwed...thank you Jayco!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #12

I has those same issues. I called Garmin support and the walked me through the fixes. But first update the unit and the dock this must be done separately. next call Garmin Support at 1 800 253 5081
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #13

Yes I already had done the update. I also called Garmin it was Garmin support that told me about the need for an external amplifier which Jayco does not install. If you can adjust the rear speakers separately from the front speakers then you must have an external amplifier installed somewhere.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
Yes I already had done the update. I also called Garmin it was Garmin support that told me about the need for an external amplifier which Jayco does not install. If you can adjust the rear speakers separately from the front speakers then you must have an external amplifier installed somewhere.
There is no front and rear speakers like a typical car stereo where you would use the fader adjustment for the front/rear. There are zones, which can be adjusted together or independently. I can adjust zone 1 (driving area) and zone 2 (main area) independently with the factory install from Jayco. If you cannot adjust the zones independently you may have zone 1 & 2 linked together. From the manual ……. "Linking zones allows you to keep the volume levels of two zones synchronized. Adjusting the volume of either of the linked zones affects both zones."

The stereo portion is based on Fusion Entertainment, which is now a Garmin Brand. Garmin acquired Fusion Electronics in 2014. Fusion has been popular in the marine entertainment for years, which is where the zones are used. The zones would be different areas of the boat/yacht like the upper deck, lower deck, interior area, etc.

The system does have an On-Board, Class SB Amplifier for 45W max X 4 channels at 4 ohms per channel (total of 180W max output). Only zones 1 & 2 are powered by the on-board amplifier. Jayco only provided two zones, so probably why they did not provide an external amplifier. To use the RCA line outputs and the RCA subwoofer outputs, you must connect external amplifiers (from the manual).

I have had my stereo out, the only thing connected to RCA is the tv & camera inputs. I would like to get my hands on a wiring diagram for this stereo, online searches have yielded nothing
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #15

Here is the wiring from jayco. not sure if this helps but at least you can see how they wired it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Garmin seneca.pdf (237.5 KB, 70 views)
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #16

@Balibe
The Garmin support told me because there is only one internal amp (a 4 channel amp) that all four speakers will adjust together...they can't adjust per pair, that would require a second amp. Within the software, I don't have the zones "linked" together. I dorked around with this for hours and can't get them to adjust independently, neither could the dealer, and Garmin support information seems to agree with the inability to adjust independently. However, if you aren't using the RCA Jack's (line level outputs) and you can adjust them independently, perhaps you have a slightly different model number...what is your model number?
Also,my dealer gave me the same wiring diagram plus a few more including how Jayco routed the wires through the coach. If you are interested PM me and I can send them to you.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Here is the wiring from jayco. not sure if this helps but at least you can see how they wired it
If I'm reading this correctly, the Seneca has an external 4 channel amplifier installed.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 AM   #18

It must have the amp installed as I can adjust front and rear individually. I wonder why they would not install one in the Melbourne.

I havent figured out the wifi except maybe that is how the remote communicates with the base hub.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
It must have the amp installed as I can adjust front and rear individually. I wonder why they would not install one in the Melbourne.

I havent figured out the wifi except maybe that is how the remote communicates with the base hub.
I guess they stopped putting in amps to keep the price and/or weight down. These only have a small weight margin and every little bit can help.
Honestly, after talking with Garmin support I am surprised they are still in business. When I was buying new, the Garmin was a bug selling point for me but now that I see and know it's abilities and inabilities don't want it. If I was looking at new motorhomes I wouldn't go with a Garmin if had the opportunity.

As far as the remote to dock communication. Yes, it uses wifi. You can set the dock in modes, I switch modes when it sits at my house so it is connected to my home wireless network. You can also use your cellular phone as a hot spot to give it internet connectivity. Also, it defaults to an open network so you want to change that.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #20

The new Seneca switched to the sound stream units so I guess garmin did not impress too many people.