Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Garmin Fusion frustrations

Anyone else trying to figure out a way to replace their Garmin Fusion with something that actually works? Really frustrating trying to get it to work properly. I'm stuck now trying to get the remote to synch with the dock. Garmin manual says to Dock manually by going to Settings - WiFi - RV Hub Dock. Then select Access Point, etc. However, when I select Hub Dock it will try to synch but gives me the error message that it can't locate the Hub Dock. Although I can see the Access Point option it is grayed out and will not allow me to click on it. The manual indicates that I need to make sure the dock is "on" but there is no light to indicate that the dock is actually on.
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
MD3

Update it.... the dock and the tablet/remote. BOTH.

I was beyond frustrated with our Garmin as well. It had never worked right for me.
It was suggested that I update both (by Rustnuts).

It has now worked flawlessly... (except for the rear camera microphone function). I still can't get that working.

Here is the page updating is suggested :
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...e-53583-6.html

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

We too became frustrated with the Fusion/Garmin system until I found a trick. You have the base unit (Fusion) and the hub (Garmin). Each has their own Off/On button. The trick is to make sure you have the base unit turned on, or you will constantly get that error locating the dock. Since the lights on the base unit behind the home, play, rewind... are very dim in daylight, how do you know if the base unit is on? Simple, double click the power button on the base unit to turn it on and hold for 3 seconds to turn it off. If in doubt if it is off/on... just hold the button for 3 seconds to be sure its off. Once I figured this out, I never had the error you had mentioned. Yes also Update both as per MD3.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #4

I am thinking I may replace it. I have found it very difficult to move around radio stations while driving. Also I have a Garmin rv760 that syncs to my phone and I get weather & traffic updates. The Fusion does not do that. Find it difficult to see from the drivers seat. Very disappointed in that product. I am a huge electronic geek and was originally jazzed about it but after using it, not as trilled anymore.

Oh be careful if you deside to update the maps and head unit with Garmin. You can crash it. Mine was no longer seeing RV mode. The remote runs Android operating system. So trying to update it can be confusing. Three separate things to update. 😮

If I find something that will work I will post.
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
Update it.... the dock and the tablet/remote. BOTH.

I was beyond frustrated with our Garmin as well. It had never worked right for me.
It was suggested that I update both (by Rustnuts).

It has now worked flawlessly... (except for the rear camera microphone function). I still can't get that working.

Here is the page updating is suggested :
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...e-53583-6.html

_
Question...how does one update it? is this something that you need wifi for? Can you just undock the head unit and do it at home from your PC? Thanks!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Cabinetmaker you need to complete updates through a computer (PC or Mac)

Download the Garmin Express app for your MAC/PC.

Follow step-by-step instructions for updating from Garmin Website.

Current versions as of Today; Base Unit 3.20 & Hub 3.10.

Also be sure you update the Garmin Express App from time to time; Gear in upper corner, About, Updates.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
Cabinetmaker you need to complete updates through a computer (PC or Mac)

Download the Garmin Express app for your MAC/PC.

Follow step-by-step instructions for updating from Garmin Website.

Current versions as of Today; Base Unit 3.20 & Hub 3.10.

Also be sure you update the Garmin Express App from time to time; Gear in upper corner, About, Updates.
Thanks Jack! Just what I needed. Went to the website and it has all the stuff. I also found a few videos from Garmin on our units that helped with understanding functions.

Appreciate this Jack!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
Anyone else trying to figure out a way to replace their Garmin Fusion with something that actually works? Really frustrating trying to get it to work properly. I'm stuck now trying to get the remote to synch with the dock. Garmin manual says to Dock manually by going to Settings - WiFi - RV Hub Dock. Then select Access Point, etc. However, when I select Hub Dock it will try to synch but gives me the error message that it can't locate the Hub Dock. Although I can see the Access Point option it is grayed out and will not allow me to click on it. The manual indicates that I need to make sure the dock is "on" but there is no light to indicate that the dock is actually on.
I’ve had the same issues and been on the phone with Garmin support. I was constantly losing connection between the unit and the dock. When lost, I was without cameras etc. and couldn’t operate anything, very frustrating. I updated both parts and it made zero difference. That also is a crazy process requiring a laptop and a USB stick. It seems that the issue is when I connect a cable to the USB port on the dash to charge my phone. For some reason when connected and charging my iPhone the unit and hub revolt. I’ve now avoided anything in the USB hub and the unit has functioned properly thus far. Net, don’t plug anything into the USB port. Try this and let me know if it works better.
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #9

Same issue with the USB port it locks the unit up. I have updated the unit and Hub and it did make the unit run better but the USB port still is screwed up.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

Given the fact that this headunit is no longer available on the 2019 line-up, I’m guessing that Jayco realized the unit’s poor design.

I’m not a fan of mine at all.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
Given the fact that this headunit is no longer available on the 2019 line-up, I’m guessing that Jayco realized the unit’s poor design.

I’m not a fan of mine at all.
X2!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #12

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've made some progress but it's still a big pain in the butt. I'm going to talk with a sound company about replacing it.
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #13

Update System

We were having the same frustrations with the Garmin Fusion in our 29MVP and I updated the docking station and the remote this past weekend. The improvement is amazing, the issue regarding powering off and on is gone and there are many small enhancements that are really good. We did have to use a brand new flash drive and used a Mac Book instead of a windows system before the update would take but that could have been operator issues.
lbyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #14

I'm new to this forum, and joined specifically for this reason! I had the same issue with the USB charging port locking up the Garmin dock. In addition, because it wasn't obvious if/when the dock was on and it (aggressively?) links to whatever bluetooth is on in my house, it would run the entire house and chassis battery down in less than a day when it was parked in the driveway.

We finally just turned the thing off (had to hold the power button for over 15 seconds), now it won't come back on at all and the USB charging port doesn't work either. I checked all the fuses for the panel and there aren't any blown. I think this dock is defective and we're going to have them remove it (Greyhawk is only 1 month old!) and buy our own unit.

For what it's worth, the radio interface is awful as well. And I love listening to local radio stations when we travel.
Hockeywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbyeary View Post
We were having the same frustrations with the Garmin Fusion in our 29MVP and I updated the docking station and the remote this past weekend. The improvement is amazing, the issue regarding powering off and on is gone and there are many small enhancements that are really good. We did have to use a brand new flash drive and used a Mac Book instead of a windows system before the update would take but that could have been operator issues.
lbyeary, what kind of enhancements did you find? I haven't noticed anything since my update. My annoyances with the operating system haven't really changed either. Isn't it so strange that to update the OS, you have to go through the music setup page, instead of the home page setup screens? And you can't mute the stereo while doing that (because the mute button freezes the whole screen!)?
Hockeywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #16

The two biggest enhancements I’ve noticed are icons on the map screen showing dining, gas, etc. and when we turn the vehicle off the system now says something like “main power off, system shutting down”. It does shut down and then comes back on when the vehicle is started again. That was my main issue, not coming back on by itself. We are taking our first trip since the update on Friday and will let you know if any issues come up.
lbyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #17

I seriously thought the Fusion system in out new Melbourne was demon possessed...thank you, thank you, thank you to those who explained about updating BOTH the remote and the dock. As of now, it all seems to be working as it should be, so we are heading out for our first trip.
*A couple of lingering questions, though....Has anyone been successful pairing an iPhone 8+ to the bluetooth connection? Our iphone 5 works just fine, but the new one just says unsuccessful. The phone pairs with other vehicles, so I'm stumped as to what's wrong.
*My radio offers Aux 1 as a music choice, but I haven't found the input spot for line-in cable yet. Is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks, again, for all the help. I spent yesterday waiting on a call back from a service tech on the Fusion system and then decided to check the experts here, and you did not disappoint. me. I'm pretty non-techy, so explaining it and listing specific links I needed for instructions was a huge help.
mt1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt1314 View Post
I seriously thought the Fusion system in out new Melb
*My radio offers Aux 1 as a music choice, but I haven't found the input spot for line-in cable yet. Is it hidden?.
On my Seneca, “Aux” is pre-wired for the TV sound. Turn TV speakers off and the sound will go through cab and house speakers.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #19

I turned the tv speakers off but don’t know how to get sound to the speakers in the bedroom Thinking that’s a good movie watching spot for the tv in the bunk area. Do you know how to get tv to the other speakers?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #20

Oops. What I thought was speakers in the back was actually lights...oh, well, would’ve been nice