Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Garmin Fusion loss of power

I’ve lost power to my Garmin Fusion GPS
system in my 2018 Melbourne 24L. When it is docked, it just goes black. It had been working fine. Any suggestions?
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

Yea it most likely needs to be replaced. Call Garmin tech support. They are great but can only do so much. The dock is probably dead and will give you an auth code to have It replaced by your dealer or Jayco. Mine is going in next week. Unfortunately it's a POS system that everyone has issues with.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
CAG

Sorry this may seem like a dumb question but then again. You are turning it on with the power button on top when you dock it, right?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #4

Have you checked the fuses? Bad thing is there is sometimes can be a fuse in the back of the head unit. You could plug the tablet portion into a computer and see if it powers up. If you havent yet, look into updating the system there are several software updates that make the system more stable. These are great systems if you keep them updated.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #5

Yes. The power button turns it on for about 90 seconds and then it turns off on its own.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
CAG

Vehicle is running when you turn it on? Or at least the key is on?

That's strange. I have had mine go into charge mode when I attach it but turning it on and having it go off again, only if the key is off.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

Yes. With the engine running, I turn it on and it works for about 90 seconds before it turns off on its own.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Have you checked the fuses? Bad thing is there is sometimes can be a fuse in the back of the head unit. You could plug the tablet portion into a computer and see if it powers up. If you havent yet, look into updating the system there are several software updates that make the system more stable. These are great systems if you keep them updated.
I just picked up this RV on Wednesday in Kentucky and am still in the process of driving it back to NJ. Do you know where I can locate the fuse for this device?
Old 09-07-2020, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewtown View Post
I just picked up this RV on Wednesday in Kentucky and am still in the process of driving it back to NJ. Do you know where I can locate the fuse for this device?
Mine is under the bed its labeled. If I recall it's # 12
Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Mine is under the bed its labeled. If I recall it's # 12
I located the fuse and mine is #12 as well. The fuse is fine. The other items using that fuse work fine (ie refrigerator). So the fuse is good, the device itself works when not docked, my guess is that either the dash base/charger is bad, or the is another fuse under the dash.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
I located the fuse and mine is #12 as well. The fuse is fine. The other items using that fuse work fine (ie refrigerator). So the fuse is good, the device itself works when not docked, my guess is that either the dash base/charger is bad, or the is another fuse under the dash.

Thanks for your help!!
It's the hub like you said. The remote ( screen) will work by itself when removed. It will also work the cameras and nav when docked. You won't have radio capability though. The same exact thing happened to me on way to my trip it worked perfect. On way back nothing. It's a known issue on these devices and Jayco will cover it.
Here's what you can try and what Garmin will have you do. Shut the coach power switch off for 1-2 mins and also remove negative cable on battery for couple of minutes so that all the remaining juice can be drained out. See if that helps.
Also if you cant get to the music option on the screen where you access the main menu of options including reset then you can't even do a hard reset on it. Sorry and hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #12

According to the Wiring Diagrams Jayco sent me, there COULD be a fuse in the battery bay in one of the little inline plastic fuse holder, you might check those, there is 2-3 in there if I remember right. If memory serves me correct, I think there is one in the wiring behind the unit which is not real hard to access, you just have to pull about 12 torx screws around the dash dace and it lifts off and then the radio is held in but a couple screws. I remember working on mine and seeing that and thinking "thats real convenient" I would check the battery compartment first....but Jayco wiring diagrams have been known to be wrong but its and easy check.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #13

Maybe a long shot, but did you make sure the dock is powered up?

I had a similar problem, and it was because I had shut down the dock and remote for storage, and I forgot to turn the dock back on. The remote would power up by itself, but since the dock was off, when I docked the remote, it would shut down. Or perhaps more accurately, go to sleep.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #14

I called Garmin product support (913-397-0872) and was able to fix the power issue to the dock. They said to cut the main power and then pull the two 7.5 amp fuses located under the driver’s seat. I put the fuses back and the dock is powered again.
He mentioned that there is a software update available to address this issue going forward and he sent me instructions to perform the software update.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
I called Garmin product support (913-397-0872) and was able to fix the power issue to the dock. They said to cut the main power and then pull the two 7.5 amp fuses located under the driver’s seat. I put the fuses back and the dock is powered again.
He mentioned that there is a software update available to address this issue going forward and he sent me instructions to perform the software update.
Glad to see it worked for you. I got excited and went out to my hawk and tried the same but it's not working for me. Taking it in for a replacement next week.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #16

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs with the same Garmin , and sometimes my drivers side camera will not work but everything else works. Does anybody have any ideas ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs with the same Garmin , and sometimes my drivers side camera will not work but everything else works. Does anybody have any ideas ?
The Garmin unit only get input from the video splitter box. If only one camera is acting up, my guess would be a bad cable. I had one fail and when I replaced it, I didn’t find any cuts or kinks, it just was bad.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #18

so, I have basically the same unit with the same problem(s). Where would the video splitter box be?
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #19

You have to open up the dash, not hard, just remove the torx screws around the dash cover and it comes right off, then there is usually 2 screws that hold the wood grained panel on and it will be behind there. The parking brake knob unscrews on the newer Senecas but the older ones have a small pin you have to drive out to remove the knob. Be gentle in there so you dont accidentally unplug something else. Here is a pic of the location and what the box looks like. My bad cable was on the passenger side and the wire runs out of the cab under the door sill.
Attached Thumbnails
i-4FvSRNX-X2_LI.jpg   i-sgNf5c3-X2.jpg  

Old 09-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #20

Great pic.
Now if I can just get to it, I might be able to deal with it.
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote