Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Garmin Fusion RV RTT600

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 26y with the Garmin Fusion system. To say this device is frustrating is a gross understatement. It had been working reasonably well recently while in our current trip to PA until yesterday. I entered the address of our next location and pressed “Go.” The device calculated and the route appeared on screen. But there was no audio directions. We continued along the way, still directions on screen but no audio. At the next turn, we heard a very faint voice in the back back of the motorhome. While my husband continued to drive, I moved to the bedroom. The Garmin direction voice was playing through the speakers in the bedroom (zone 5)!?!🤪🤪

Just to get the following out of the way: The device is updated to the latest software version. When playing music from iPhone connected via usb plug or bluetooth, all speakers work. I’ve reset the he unit to factory settings. The volume is set midway for all speakers.

Everything seems to work on all speakers EXCEPT the Garmin navigation directions, which no longer works on the cab speakers and only through the bedroom speakers😤😤

I have read a number of post expressing frustration with the Garmin Fusion device in Jayco RVs but I haven’t seen anything about navigation directions playing only through the bedroom speakers. I think everyone would agree that navigation directions playing through the bedroom speakers is about useless — about as useless of the Garmin itself🤪🤪
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
CAG

I still don’t know if I have learned the Fusion system fully but I did learn that I had to close the speakers to other areas and be sure the front speakers are the only speakers operating when using the head unit on the road. I also found in the instructions that if you want to use the phone, attached to the USB connection you need to shut Bluetooth off or it tries to use both methods of connection.

Every GPS I use is Garmin. They are by far the best but driving I prefer Waze which can be used thru the USB and gives me real time traffic info.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

Maybe this will help...

Your frustration is universal but let me share what I learned when speaking with Garmin/Fusion support. Never, no never ever plug your phone into the USB port on the dash. It is ONLY for updating the hub software. When you plug your phone cable into that port, demons are set loose inside the unit and all mayhem breaks loose. Dramatic yes, but since I’ve heeded this recommendation, my unit has been nearly flawless. Yes, make sure your current on both the hub and remote unit. If it continues to act weird, you may need to do a reset to factory settings and update both again to ensure it works. Yes, there is hope. Best of luck.
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaylett View Post
Your frustration is universal but let me share what I learned when speaking with Garmin/Fusion support. Never, no never ever plug your phone into the USB port on the dash. It is ONLY for updating the hub software. When you plug your phone cable into that port, demons are set loose inside the unit and all mayhem breaks loose. Dramatic yes, but since I’ve heeded this recommendation, my unit has been nearly flawless. Yes, make sure your current on both the hub and remote unit. If it continues to act weird, you may need to do a reset to factory settings and update both again to ensure it works. Yes, there is hope. Best of luck.
Interesting since that is they only way you can use SiriusXM or any of the other apps on you phone. I think they gave you some bad information as the manual specifically recommends using the USB for phone connection and say do not use Bluetooth.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

I have a Garmin RV-BBT601 unit that I removed from my 2018 29MV (replaced with a Kenwood unit). As far as I can tell, all of the functions work as intended, but I never liked the user interface (many others have noted) and wanted Apple Carplay. If you are interested in a replacement unit, I would be happy to let it go for the cost of shipping (probably $20 or so).

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchout View Post
I have a Garmin RV-BBT601 unit that I removed from my 2018 29MV (replaced with a Kenwood unit). As far as I can tell, all of the functions work as intended, but I never liked the user interface (many others have noted) and wanted Apple Carplay. If you are interested in a replacement unit, I would be happy to let it go for the cost of shipping (probably $20 or so).
What Kenwood unit did you replace it with and I assume that since it is Kenwood it is still Garmin GPS?

Old 08-13-2020, 03:27 PM   #7

I replaced with the DMX-9706S. This is just a digital multi media receiver with no GPS or DVD. I typically use Apple for navigation (or Waze) through Carplay, so I ditched the Garmin GPS altogether. I'm happy with the 9706S. If I did it over again, I might go with the 7706S to get the short chassis. Just makes installation a little easier.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
CAG

The one problem I see with that unit is that it has only two camera inputs. I need three, left right and rear.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #9

Thank you for input

Thanks to everyone for their input. I’ve disconnected Bluetooth and WiFi connection to my iPhone. I’ve reset the device to factory settings. I won’t connect my phone using USB.

We will be leaving tomorrow for another leg of our trip. We’ll see if I have to run back to the bedroom to hear the navigation directions.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #10

I know that my MV uses a switcher, the mirror and rear cameras go into the switcher and it outputs a single feed to the head unit. So only 1 camera input is needed on the head unit. Here's a link:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=761561[

Old 08-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The one problem I see with that unit is that it has only two camera inputs. I need three, left right and rear.
Do you actually use the side cameras? I find them to not be very useful as the blindspot mirrors are WAY more effective. And I can't see the screen (even on full brightness) with my sunglasses on.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Damn😤😤

I have worked on this issue for the better part of three days. You, fellow Jayco owners, have offered suggestions and advice. I have read the owner’s manual. (I taught English for 22 years and would have used that manual as an example of how NOT to write.). I have burned up the Google.

We left the campground this morning to go to our final antique show. The directions still were coming from the bedroom. I finally used the RV Safe GPS feature of my RV Life subscription.

Once parked and set up at the antique show, I once again endeavored to figure this out. I was determined that a piece of technology was not going to defeat me.

This time I entered a destination that required a long time for calculation and then ran to the back of the coach. I could hear the navigation voice but it did not seem to be coming from the speakers nearest the bedroom. I repeated it for the speakers above the table and then again for the speakers above the sofa. The navigation voice did not seem to be coming from any of the speakers in the coach. But, I could still hear the voice ever so faintly.

I then thought — there is only one other set of speakers - outside for sitting under the canopy. I looked at the toggle switch — it had been flipped to “outside.” I flipped the switch to “inside,” reset the navigation on the Garmin and voila! The navigation voice has returned.

I say once again - Damn🤯🤯😤😤😳😳🤪🤪

RV travel is like life — a never ending world of challenges and rewards.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
CAG

What toggle switch and where is it located?

Old 08-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #14

Right by the door inside

The switch is located inside the door directly below the alarm panel. I think I’ve attached a pic correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
162AD882-00E3-4A50-B5E3-6B0B980043C8.jpeg  
Old 08-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
CAG

Thanks mine are not labeled and there are three. One I know is the awning LED strip as I have switched that our to a dimmer. I have to figure out what the others are.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #16

Don’t you just love it! We have owned our Greyhawk for almost a year and for almost a year I have searched for the light switch for the bed above the cab. I have looked and run my hands all over the walls, looked in the storage bays next to the bed, searched around the TV, everywhere. And, as you know, a Google search is only as good as the words used in the search. Nothing. On these trips, we use the bed over the cab to store merchandise. I was standing on the ladder, leaning over toward the driver’s side so I could pull down the blind over the window. Something caught my eye, and I looked up, and hidden behind the curtain (which we never had opened), and up on the ceiling next to the wall is the switch to turn on the lights. UGGGGGG!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #17

I never messed with that "outside speaker" switch. If we're going to listen to music outside, I carry a Bose Micro SoundLink. But it's interesting that turning on the outside speakers would close all the other channels? In our TT, we could run ALL speakers at the same time, which was handy for watching a Texas Aggie football game once when we had the entire extended family along. Other than that, we've never used the outside speakers, and actually never have on the MH.

As for the switch for lights in the cabover, I looked and looked for that one too. Since that's my son's area, I told him to figure it out. He found the switch in about two minutes. And that time included driving a dump truck or something all around "looking" for it...

Thankfully I've got him pretty well trained about switches. He knows better than to flip a switch that is not part of his area, or that he doesn't know what it does. I would have half expected him to flip that speaker switch and me spend weeks trying to figure out what the heck happened to all the speakers!!

Fun times ... It's always something isn't it?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I have worked on this issue for the better part of three days. You, fellow Jayco owners, have offered suggestions and advice. I have read the owner’s manual. (I taught English for 22 years and would have used that manual as an example of how NOT to write.). I have burned up the Google.

We left the campground this morning to go to our final antique show. The directions still were coming from the bedroom. I finally used the RV Safe GPS feature of my RV Life subscription.

Once parked and set up at the antique show, I once again endeavored to figure this out. I was determined that a piece of technology was not going to defeat me.

This time I entered a destination that required a long time for calculation and then ran to the back of the coach. I could hear the navigation voice but it did not seem to be coming from the speakers nearest the bedroom. I repeated it for the speakers above the table and then again for the speakers above the sofa. The navigation voice did not seem to be coming from any of the speakers in the coach. But, I could still hear the voice ever so faintly.

I then thought — there is only one other set of speakers - outside for sitting under the canopy. I looked at the toggle switch — it had been flipped to “outside.” I flipped the switch to “inside,” reset the navigation on the Garmin and voila! The navigation voice has returned.

I say once again - Damn🤯🤯😤😤😳😳🤪🤪

RV travel is like life — a never ending world of challenges and rewards.
I ran into the same issue with the outdoor speaker. Darn directions were outside!
Has anyone figured out a way to safely turn off the dock when camping?
When I do, the WiFi between the hob and remote disconnects and I have to reconnect everything. I turn off the remote and mute the dock but I worry it pulls power from the battery and it shortens the time before I lose power.
jcanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanuel View Post
I ran into the same issue with the outdoor speaker. Darn directions were outside!
Has anyone figured out a way to safely turn off the dock when camping?
When I do, the WiFi between the hob and remote disconnects and I have to reconnect everything. I turn off the remote and mute the dock but I worry it pulls power from the battery and it shortens the time before I lose power.
I take the detachable face off the dock, power it down by holding the power button for a few seconds and confirming shut-down. Then I hold down the power button on the dock for a few seconds until it shuts down too.

Seems to work, and everything seems to come back up and connect when I go back to it later...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I take the detachable face off the dock, power it down by holding the power button for a few seconds and confirming shut-down. Then I hold down the power button on the dock for a few seconds until it shuts down too.

Seems to work, and everything seems to come back up and connect when I go back to it later...
We have a 2018 29MV as well. That's the best way to shut it down, and you'll hear an odd pop when the dock is successfully powered down (the sound of the speakers turning off). If you don't power down the Garmin unit, it can force the dock back on as well.

One thing to note, after having our dock replaced, is these are often wired directly from the battery so that the radio can play when the car isn't running, so you have to be mindful of turning off the dock when you're done using it.

Another note: that outdoor speaker button is pretty useful if you want to listen outside without having to mess with your sound config on the Garmin but turning everything down inside. i.e., if someone is going to sleep inside, but the party needs to go on outside...
Hockeywolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fusion, garmin, navigation, speakers, zones