Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

Question Gas Pump Keeps Clicking off

I am a new owner of a Greyhawk Prestige (6 weeks) with a strange problem. Periodically (not always) I have trouble gassing up because the gas pump keeps clicking off. I've dismissed this in the past as being a problem with the pump, but recently went to two different gas stations and encountered the same problem at both. At the first gas station I tried for over 10 minutes fiddling with the pump handle (slowing the pump to a trickle, pulling it part-way out, removing it and starting over, removing it and holding it upright and then upside down before reinserting it, etc.), but finally gave up, cursing the obviously faulty pump before driving to another gas station. Unfortunately, there I encountered the same problem! I kept working with it and eventually got the pump to start working correctly, but this took several minutes and I have no idea what caused the problem to go away. I'm now thinking something is wrong with the gas intake system on my RV. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or how to deal with it?
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

My last class c had the same problem. After $1000 at a Rush Truck Center the smaller vent hose next to the filler hose was plugged. It was plugged with glue that was put on the hose instead of the metal barb to hold the hose on. I fought this for several years till I broke down and had it professionally looked at. Rush took apart everything before they found it. Pulled tank, return charcoal canister then found it in vent hose by the cap. Check that 1st!

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

It does sound like a venting problem. My old F350 had the same issue..
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

In the past i have found spiderwebs clogging the fuel vent lines. Locate your vent line and make sure its not kinked or clogged.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

Congratulations on the Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #6

Can anyone give me some guidance as to how (where) to find the vent line and how to make sure it's unclogged ?
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #7

Another reason this happens is the fuel filler hose itself can kink which slows the flow and shuts the pump off. Also, make sure the engine is off when refueling.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #8

I had the same problem on my last coach. It was an Endeavor diesel pusher and had fuel fill on both sides. This problem only occurred on the driver side. For years, I got use to just filling up on the passenger side to avoid dealing with it. Finally, one day I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Borescope...40107488&psc=1

They don't work great, but they are adequate enough to inspect the filler tube and the vent tube if you have access to it.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #9

You have a problem...our Prestige takes gas really fast and good. Just ask my wallet! Kidding aside I would talk to the dealer or Ford about it. Like others have said it sure sounds like a plugged vent or pinched vent line.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel system, fueling, maintenance