Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #1

Gasing up the RV while towing a Trailer.

I have a 29' Redhawk that take unleaded gas. I want to tow my SUV on a flat bed but the thought of filling up is intimidating. I barley fit the RV into some pumps without a trailer. Any Suggestions on how you fill up would be appreciated! I don't think they sell regular unleaded where the tractor trailers fill up.

Thanks in advance!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Very few truck stops have gasoline at the truck pumps. Only seen it a few times.

You may have to so some research and google maps looking on your trip.

Many truck stops have gas pumps out front and the outside pumps may have the gas you need without having to navigate the tight turns. Some are so tight, I can't navigate them without my trailer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

RV lanes at Flying J are good or outside ( end ) pumps are sometimes useable and satellite view is very useful for entry and exit points

Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

I have found that in most cases, when the vehicles have to face the building to fuel, like 95% of the filling stations are today, trying to fill the RV pulling a toad is nearly impossible, unless you can get an outside lane and there is enough room to exit around the building or make a safe U-turn to exit. We use Google maps, but with the canopies over most of the pump islands, it is sometimes difficult to determine which way they face.

Even if I have to pay a little more per gallon, I'll try to find a gas station that has the pumps aligned so that you can be parallel to the road, which makes it much easier. In all the miles that we have traveled, I have only seen one "RV Only" lane at a Flying J and used it. I'm a little anal about keeping the gas tank full, so I always like to fill up prior to arriving at a CG, then I don't have to worry about it when we leave in the morning. So when we find a gas station near the CG, if it looks like a maneuvering nightmare, we'll unhook the toad and DW will drive it to the CG and check-in while I'm gassing.

It just seems like gasoline powered RV's are the minority since we can't use the truck lanes and we're relegated to the AUTO lanes which are headaches.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I have found that in most cases, when the vehicles have to face the building to fuel, like 95% of the filling stations are today, trying to fill the RV pulling a toad is nearly impossible...
That’s what I was afraid of. We recently purchased a tow dolly to pull our toad behind the Grayhawk. We haven’t taken the toad on a trip yet, but I have been quite anxious about dealing with the fuel stops. Ugh.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #6

When planning a trip, I use the Pilot/Flying J RV Travel Guide to find stations with RV gas lanes. https://www.pilotflyingj.com/rv-services/

I use 'Google Maps' to plan the route, and I mark the acceptable fuel stops as a 'favorite place' in case I drive that way again.

If there are no Pilot/Flying J RV gas lanes where I want to go, I use the satellite view feature of 'Google Maps' to look for acceptable gas stations along the way, at about the locations where I might start looking for a fill-up.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
That’s what I was afraid of. We recently purchased a tow dolly to pull our toad behind the Grayhawk. We haven’t taken the toad on a trip yet, but I have been quite anxious about dealing with the fuel stops. Ugh.
Don't let this deter you from using your motorhome. I do not let the fuel tank go less than 1/2 without preparing for a fuel stop, so I'm not wandering around looking for a place to refuel with the MH driving on fumes. I try not to do more than 200-250 miles per day which for us is about a half-tank, so we can usually find a place to fuel close to the campground.

Something else I do, is try to avoid (when possible) the chain convenience stores for fuel. The patrons there park at a pump, go in, get their groceries and lunch, then emerge to finally pump the gas, so multiple pumps are blocked while they shop, and we invariably have to wait, blocking lanes.

We travel the Interstates, and watch the signs at the exits for gas stations. When there is an exit with multiple stations, your chances are better that you'll find an uncrowded station with properly situated pumps to use. After a while, you'll get the hang of it, and it won't cause you heartache.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #8

When planning a trip, I use the Pilot/Flying J RV Travel Guide to find stations with RV gas lanes. https://www.pilotflyingj.com/rv-services/

THANK YOU Bullitt6283!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

I have towed my Jeep for going on the third year. I will admit holding my breath a couple of time while looking for an appropriate fueling situaiton, but have never been left wanting for fuel. I am usually more stressed about tight turn lanes where I am afraid the rear of my 31DS will swing out and smite a car.

If you see a station that looks RV friendly, buy gas there. Ignore the 2 or 3 cent price differential which is where I think the trouble begins. Even on 50 gallons, 3 cents is a $1.50.....my peace of mind is worth much more than that.

I buy gas at Costco a lot (where available) and early or late in the day, they are usually easy to get into an outside lane, but, I have seen others that I just drive on.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

X2, I just downloaded the app and ready for tonights trip
Thanks again

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #11

I found that most Race Track Gas Stations have plenty of room to maneuver also. So do quite a few Sam's Club locations.
As others mentioned already, plan your trip and use Google Maps to take a look at those gas stations from the top and street view.
I too have a Redhawk 29XK, towing a Hyundai Santa Fe on a tow dolly. I have had no problem yet. Even in the tiny Pilot a few miles south. If it does get narrow, I just use the outside pump.
Don't be afraid.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Don't let any of this deter you. I too, am trying to get over anxiety about pulling a new 5'er and I'm doing my best to get over it, lol. I know you can't really map out every gas station you'll use. But you can view google maps and do satellite view and even street view to see how much room there is with the pumps. Always shoot for the outside pumps. Also, try to choose pumps that don't need sharp turns. I know, easier said than done. But if you keep these things in mind, you'll be pulling in and out of those pumps like a pro!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #13

Fueling up while towing

We've found stations located on or adjacent to "big Box" stores like Walmart lots are fairly easy to access, and we're about 56ft long total. Definitely a bit nerve wracking, but not impossible. Don't let it deter you...it becomes easier each time you do it!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #14

I have a 33’ Greyhawk towing a car trailer. Fueling is a problem. When traveling on the interstate I look for exits with multiple gas stations. Sometimes I have to pass a couple of stations or turn around until I find one that I can get into and out of without taking down the pumps. Once the DW had to get out and guide me to back out of the gas pump area. Just stay calm, and take your time. Good luck.
Mikemace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:57 PM   #15

In our prior Motorhome before our Seneca... we had the same challenges you are talking about with gasoline, but they were not all that tough when you have a flat bed trailer.

Almost every of the outside pumps at every gas station has, will offer gasoline. We just pulled up and fueled our old motorhome, sometimes we might have to back up a few feet to pull out from the pump - but it was a much easier time than we have today with Diesel on both sides.

Now - for those who flat-tow or dolly-tow a toad... and that can not back up! I feel for ya if you have to unhook your toad to back up from a fuel stop.

Yea... the pic is not a Jayco... but it is our old Motorhome before joining the Jayco family.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1172.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote