Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #21

If you are within range, Enterprise Rent A Car will come to the campground. We do that. We had a Toad (Mini Cooper). It pulled beautifully but you had to be careful because you canít back up.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
SJD

Have had a travel trailer but now have a Seneca, best move I have made RVing. I tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler with the NSA Ready Brute tow bar and built in braking system. I would not have anything else. Far easier to hook up and go then a travel trailer. We use the Walmart parking lot some when on the road & life is so easy with a motorhome when you make those short lay overs.
SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #23

We relate to much of the discussion on this post, but we wonder about the cost of nice MH compared to comparably equipped TT. Especially if we already have the TV for the TT. Also, it seems like we would give up a lot of floorplan for a smaller, less expensive MH. Then there is the cost of maintaining the motor and drivetrain, which seems like a good bit more than our truck. I have no problem elevating our truck to work on it and do all of its maintenance and 90% of its repairs. I am not sure I could do as much on a MH.

Maybe everyone does not have the budget for a MH. Of course we could buy a used one or a lesser "quality" unit, but then we go back to the really nice TT that we could get for much less. Just thinking out loud.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #24

For us, the reasons we went from a TT to a motorhome were....

Convenience... We didn't want to get out and go back to the trailer to use the bathroom.
Old people... We were at the point that we no longer wanted to deal with the hooking and unhooking (often in the rain or dark of night). lol
Safety/Security...We have sometimes felt uncomfortable getting out of the tow vehicle and going back to the TT at a rest stop or parking lot when we wanted to get a snack, take a nap, use the bathroom, etc.

With the motorhome, these things are no longer an issue.

It just works for us.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
We always just used Enterprise.
We do both these days. If we're going to be zipping around a lot, then it's Enterprise.

At Disneyland we found Uber was much, much more useful for getting to the park and back!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #26

It's true. A good motorhome is very expensive, especially when you have to purchase a tow vehicle too. We are retired and had gone the trailer route for a long time - loved it and wouldn't have considered a motorhome when we were younger. Already having a TV and a really nice trailer is awesome and definitely cheaper. For us, the big factor was our age...we felt if we didn't buy a motorhome now, we wouldn't be able to justify the expense later factoring in the years we had left to safely travel; and later the hitching and unhitching might have caused us to have to stop camping and traveling altogether before we wanted to.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote