Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Generalities for a Class C Newbie

The Half Unit and I are strongly considering a new Melbourne variation for frequent interstate traveling. I'm looking for input on Jayco as a manufacturer in particular. Anything I need to know about them or that model? All opinions welcome.
stendec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You're going to need to be more specific with your questions, since there's such a wide range of rigs and the things people do with them. Many people camp different ways, so you should ask more specific questions based on the way you want to camp or where you're planning on going.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
CAG

There are two books that I recommend for anyone planning on buying an RV of any type. Travel Trailer& Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide and Motorhome Comparison Guide both by Randall Eaton. They are updated often and have everything that a buyer needs to know about the RVs and the companies that make them, including their past and financial histories as well as consumer ratings.

Once you decide what it is that you plan to do as an RVer buy the books and start researching. I find that asking questions on individual Web sites, like this one, get you information on one brand, and various models but these books will give a larger picture. You quickly find out which companies value customers and which don't.

I spent several months with my nose in these books and numerous trips to RV lots to look at just how well they were (or were not built). This is my fourth RV and that history also helped decide.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. From the factory the MB chassis rides better than the other class C's chassis I have driven. Granted I haven't driven another class c in 5 years so newer Fords might be better. Cross wind and truck turbulence handling can be improved with suspension mods. Hopefully MB has improved on the emission issues. None so far on my 2016 Melbourne but several on 2013 Sprinter van (same engine). Only MB issues so far have been 4 wheel speed sensors fail all at different times. Nearest MB dealer is about 1.5 hours away but fixed under warranty. Routine maintenance on the chassis side is more expensive but the diesel engine does take about 13 qts of synthetic oil and you do want to stick with recommended fluids. Service intervals on my 2016 was every 20k miles but I stick with the 10k interval like on my 2013 van. Expect to pay about $200-300 for a oil change and inspection.

Jayco craftmanship (fit and finish) on my rig isn't the greatest. The Melbourne Prestige might be better and wasn't around when I bought mine. At the time I bought mine the price was $30-40k list cheaper than " higher quality" rigs. I had a few Jayco warranty fixes and the process and experience was better than I expected. If you get one with a folding mattress see if it is like the one in the following thread.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ess-49622.html
If it is you will have issues with it and I would be disappointed they haven't addressed the problem. Might give you a bargaining chip to get a better mattress. The mattress is a queen size in width but only 76" long. At 6'4" I made it work until we had the issue like in the above thread. I now use a 80" long standard queen mattress and sleep like I was at home. Road noise off the lot was terrible but after several mods it can be made better.

Good luck with your search.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote