Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #1

Generator and levelers does not operate on 12V

Jayco 2015 Redhawk
My 12 V battery does not start my generator or operate my leveler. The battery is good and full. The levelers operate with 110 hookup.

Prior to this malfunction everything worked fine . We were dry camping and started the vehicle while the levelers were down. We turned off the vehicle the next day we tried to retract the levelers using the 12 V battery. When this didn’t work we used the auxiliary button which we were able to retract the levelers but could not start the generator.
Dbliven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:59 AM   #2

On most Jayco motorhomes the "House" or coach battery operates the levelers and generator. You mentioned it was charged, next step might be to check the connections at that battery for tightness and/or corrosion. Those circuits also usually have a large fuse near where they connect to the coach battery (my unit does) and if you have a multimeter you can check each side of the fuse(s) to make sure power is passing thru the fuse.

When you use the Aux Start button you are tying the coach and chassis batteries together, so a voltage problem is what I suspect. When you are unplugged, do all the coach 12-volt lights and systems work fine? Any chance you have a multimeter and can read the coach battery voltage when unplugged?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbliven View Post
Jayco 2015 Redhawk
My 12 V battery does not start my generator or operate my leveler. The battery is good and full. The levelers operate with 110 hookup.

Prior to this malfunction everything worked fine . We were dry camping and started the vehicle while the levelers were down. We turned off the vehicle the next day we tried to retract the levelers using the 12 V battery. When this didn’t work we used the auxiliary button which we were able to retract the levelers but could not start the generator.

Make sure parking brake is engaged....and or, make sure house power is on, switch as you enter...
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

If the battery is 3 years old, even though it is fully charged, it may not have enough power to start the generator. When our house battery wasn't charged enough to start the generator, I would start the engine and the charge from the alternator would supply enough power to start the generator.

Be careful using the Aux Start button to start the generator. Starting the generator requires a lot of power. You could end up with a chassis battery that doesn't have enough Cold Cranking Amps to start the engine.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote