Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #21

Overheat possibly
Rcemerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #22

And running ethanol gas is another issue that can mess up the generator.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #23

This was happening to mine also (31UL) when it was very hot and traveling .I found that the rubber gas line went right across the front of the generator I installed a heat shield on the hose and I’ve not had a problem since.

Chuck and Dianne, and the two Doxies, Hans and Fritz
2015 Precept 31UL, "The Mothership", Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.
Toad - 2013 Equinox AWD Blue Ox Patriot, Base Plate, and Alpha tow bar, 3" drop receiver hitch.
chuckanddianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #24

I had the same problem with my 2016 29MV Greyhawk. I ended up installing an additional electric fuel pump with a fuel regulator installed near the fuel tank area on the frame. All purchased from my local auto parts store. I put a toggle switch in one of the outside storage compartments to turn it on when needed etc.
No problems since.
tomknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guid View Post
My generator dies occasionally while I am traveling regardless of the fuel level. Any suggestions on what might cause this? Sometimes I travel for hours without a problem and other times it dies on a 30 minute trip. It is not predictable. I never have a problem when parked.
Thanks

I had the same problem with a Redhawk . In my case, it wasn’t lack of oil , but a little too much oil. I got a rubber bulb aspirator and removed some oil and have had no problem since. When you change oil put in about 1.4 qts instead of 1.6!!! It worked for me.
bdoc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #26

Almost exactly my experience, I finally got mine modified by Jayco under warranty and the generator quit before I could get home 30 minutes later at 89 degrees. If your problem is fuel line vapor lock then the vented doors and air diverters do no good at all. This is what mine was doing and Jayco gave up trying to fix it.
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:17 PM   #27

I had the same problem with my 2019 Greyhawk 29MV. Lowered the oil level to the bottom of the safe zone on the dipstick. Haven’t had the problem since. Apparently ONAN is aware that the problem has existed for years but refuse to design a new dipstick with calibration for the correct oil level. So to everybody who mentioned too much oil that is what my problem was.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #28

I have a 15 29MV that did the same thing. I used a temp gun to check temps with the original solid door panel and it was amazing how hot it got. After pleading my case with the dealer and Jayco, I received a vent to cut in to the door. I even added a seal between the door and the vent so the generator gets all outside air. Now the temps dropped like a rock and it’ll run fine on the hottest of days. Good luck.
Mnxtrik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:05 AM   #29

I have a new Jayco Greyhawk and the generator quit working for me also while traveling and thereafter wouldn’t start even parked. Seems to me the difference is heat also. The day it quit and the subsequent days that followed kept temperatures close to 100 degrees and more here in Texas. The generator would just not turnover in that heat. A couple weeks later I had a generator technician come to the house and it started right up and I’ve had it start up and run with no issues (Parked) since with temps in the high 80s to low 90s. Can’t say for sure that’s the issue, am camping this weekend with temps expected to be cooler, so I’ll run it and see.
I want to add that my generator door comes with vents.
belisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #30

The part number is: 0235446. you'll need to go through a Jayco dealer to order it. And don't try Camping World that was a waste of time. The price was $110 with shipping. Also lower your generator oil level to just above the fill line. These fixes should solve your problem.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
The part number is: 0235446. you'll need to go through a Jayco dealer to order it. And don't try Camping World that was a waste of time. The price was $110 with shipping. Also lower your generator oil level to just above the fill line. These fixes should solve your problem.
Thanks!
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote