Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2021, 05:40 AM   #1

Generator exhaust scrapes asphalt

I have a 2021 Melbourne 24l. My exhaust pipe was installed with its bend about 6 inches below the bottom of the rig. I’ve scraped it on asphalt and other surfaces when moving slowly to park. Please offer advice about making more distance between the pipe and the road below. My only attempt with service from a Jayco dealer resulted in him declaring that, “they all are installed like this.” I think it’s dangerous.
Jimmy Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:13 AM   #2

Here’s a link to a photo… https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Odl...JrH-qw#Candler
Jimmy Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #3

Send Jayco an email and include that picture. You can also check with Onan support.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Lewis View Post

The part to the right of the photo is connected to the generator? [ I don't have a Melbourne. ] If so, the only thought I have would be to shorten the length of pipe between the gen and the elbow.

You'd think a muffler shop could do it quickly.

The long drop and the upward travel seems weird to me. Seems like a potential rust spot. I'm not sure I'd buy the "their all made that way" statement.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Lewis View Post
I have a 2021 Melbourne 24l. My exhaust pipe was installed with its bend about 6 inches below the bottom of the rig. I’ve scraped it on asphalt and other surfaces when moving slowly to park. Please offer advice about making more distance between the pipe and the road below. My only attempt with service from a Jayco dealer resulted in him declaring that, “they all are installed like this.” I think it’s dangerous.
Certainly does not look right to me in comparison to a replacement pipe.

Cummins Onan Generator Accessory - 0155-2845, Tailpipe Exhaust Kit, 1 1/4" Pipe Dia. x 3 1/2" x 21 7/8"

https://www.absolutegenerators.com/c...3-1-2-x-21-7-8
Attached Thumbnails
tail_pipe_kit_large_.jpg  
Old 09-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Looks like it needs to be cut and someone was just lazy.

If it emits fumes in the same place, outside the underbelly, should be good there. I'd just check clearance on anything close to exhaust pipe if you cut it (or when you do) to ensure heat from the exhaust doesn't melt anything.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #7

That doesnt look right at all. My exhaust exits the gen, makes a clean 90 deg, exits out the side of the rv, and ends up being a few inches below the bottom of the side of the rv. The exhaust is parallel to the ground/rv, not at all angled as yours is. Thus doesnt have the close ground clearance yours has.

I would say they used the wrong exhaust pipe, one from where a gen would be mounted much higher in the rv; or a universal fit that wasnt cut to fit; and bent it to mount out the side.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:40 PM   #8

Agree with above that it looks like someone installed the exhaust parts in the wrong order or the wrong parts for a Melbourne altogether. I had an issue with my generator the first year under warranty and took it direct to Onan because I didn’t have faith in the dealer I bought it from. Anyway I paid Onan and submitted a claim direct to Jayco. I believe there is an Onan service center in Memphis. My issue was they reversed the inlet and return fuel lines. I can see that getting by the quality inspection but not your issue.

Good luck.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote