Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

Generator Fault Code 38

I got this fault code yesterday while running down the road. At the time I have the frig on AC and both air conditioners running. The fault code 38 is for overcurrent. I have read that this means that more current was being demanded than what the generator could provide. Would this be correct? After check checking the generator I restarted it and left only 1 AC on and turned the frig to LP. The generator operated normally for the rest of the ride home. From what I have read the coleman AC units I have have a normal draw of 1,500 watts and a start up draw of 3,500 watts. The only way I can think that I'd reach the 8000 limit of my generator is if both AC's cycled on at the same time creating a heavy demand.

Also, while checking the generator I saw water leaking out from under the generator near the bottom seam. I check the fuild level, which was ok. The water did not appear green in color like the coolant in the generator, so I don't think there was a leak.

Any ideas of why I'd get an overcurrent error code? Is my understanding of an over-current error correct?

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

Sounds like your understanding of over-current is correct IMO.

It could have been running hot in which case it tends to bog down a little, and could've had over-current because of that. Also could've been the perfect storm and simply had too much draw all at once?

Does your generator compartment door have a vent? Also, was it hot that day? Were you in traffic? All of these contribute to overheating generators which has been a common problem with them.

The "liquid" would not be from the generator; these units are typically air-cooled. Not entirely sure about that diesel model though.

I would check out all the connections at the transfer switch and main panel. I know I've had problems with loose connections, and I just recently had a transfer switch go sideways on me. My generator threw a "no voltage present" in that case. It was nothing to do with the generator; it was the failed transfer switch.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #3

extra info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Sounds like your understanding of over-current is correct IMO.

It could have been running hot in which case it tends to bog down a little, and could've had over-current because of that. Also could've been the perfect storm and simply had too much draw all at once?

Does your generator compartment door have a vent? Also, was it hot that day? Were you in traffic? All of these contribute to overheating generators which has been a common problem with them.

The "liquid" would not be from the generator; these units are typically air-cooled. Not entirely sure about that diesel model though.

I would check out all the connections at the transfer switch and main panel. I know I've had problems with loose connections, and I just recently had a transfer switch go sideways on me. My generator threw a "no voltage present" in that case. It was nothing to do with the generator; it was the failed transfer switch.

There is no vent in my compartment door, but the generator is at the rear of the RV far away from the hot exhaust and engine heat. I was traveling down the interstate in about high 80's temps. My generator is a Desiel Onan 8000 Watt genny whcih is water cooled.

I will have to track down the transfer switch. I normally hear a "thunck" when I plug in shore power and the EMS lets the power through to the coach, so I'm guessing it in in the read bedroom under the wardrobe. If it is, I'm not sure how I could access it.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvteach77 View Post
There is no vent in my compartment door, but the generator is at the rear of the RV far away from the hot exhaust and engine heat. I was traveling down the interstate in about high 80's temps. My generator is a Desiel Onan 8000 Watt genny whcih is water cooled.

I will have to track down the transfer switch. I normally hear a "thunck" when I plug in shore power and the EMS lets the power through to the coach, so I'm guessing it in in the read bedroom under the wardrobe. If it is, I'm not sure how I could access it.
Ya, I would be double-checking the wiring. Loose connections are all to common and can cause all kinds of problems.

Since it's liquid-cooled, if it's leaking you could be overheating?

It may have nothing to do with what's going on with the generator, but I'd want to find out for sure what that drip is.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #5

I would pull the side panel to check out the liquid. You can pretty much see the complete unit with the side off.

It is possible that the reserve reservoir was over filled and while running the solution expanded and dropped out. Not sure why this would not appear as anti freeze though.

You dont mention your elevation but the specs are 3.5 % loss for every 1000 ft above a base of 500 ft and something like 1 % for every 10 degrees above 77.

I would also test my converter and the two ac units to see if they are over drawing power. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-021427_Drive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	63547
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote