Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Generator hard starting

The Onan generator in my 02 is getting hard to start. If I give it a shot of starting fluid it fires right up, so that sells me that is a carb problem. Any thoughts on where to start? Again thanks for any info. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #2

The new ethanol fuel is a big problem if not treated when stored for over 2 weeks. It breaks down fast and leaves crystal like balls in fuel bowls as a result. You should change the fuel out and flush out the bowl by dropping the adjustment screw on the bottom and draining through new fuel. Make sure you add some type of stabilizer for ethanol fuels to the new fuel upon purchase. It breaks down real fast.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

There are a few things you can do. As mentioned above ethanol absorbs moisture from the air very rapidly. Does your generator take its fuel from the coach’s main fuel tank or from a separate tank?

If it is from your main tank;
- Have you replaced your fuel filter?
- Break the rules and add non oxygenated (no ethanol) fuel to your tank.
- Add Seafoam to the tank and run the generator and coach’s engine for a while.

If it is from a potable tank;
- Drain the tank and refuel with non oxygenated fuel. Fuel with no ethanol in some places is hard to find. Add Seafoam to the fuel and run the generator. Once it is running good again I would add about ½ to 1 oz of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to each gallon of fuel. ATF really helps the top end on small engines, as modern fuels are very dry (not very oily). AFT will not hurt your coach’s engine if you do add it. It is just a lot of ATF for a main tank. Again check if there is a fuel filter, if so clean/replace it.

If all else fails you may need to remove the carb and clean it, as you probably have debris in the needle valve or the carb has gummed up. As for parts most likely all you will need is a gasket kit, unless it has a cork float.

Does your generator have an air filter? Have your cleaned or replaced it?

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote