Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

Generator in auto-mode w/ driving

Can the generator run in auto-mode while driving?
Coach gets too hot to drive without the roof AC on.
Does the generator have to run constantly while driving to do that?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

I would just give it a try don't know why it wouldn't work. I never had to since the dash air did a good job with the SENECA.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

UM, dont think that is a very wise idea. Generators are not built like vehicle motors. They are designed for stationary use, I read in awhile ago that some one was doing this, the generator will usually trip when you hit a but because the oil sloshes around and the generator will shut off on low oil. More over the electricity is being generated with a stator and rotor assembly that probably isn't designed to be bounced while running(check with cummins onan) this assembly although quite robust is fragile. i dont think for me personally the risk is worth the reward. I dont want to go into too much more detail. I could write pages about the reasons i would NOT both from a safety and Power Engineering background.
fam cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #4

[QUOTE=fam cruiser;286660] UM, dont think that is a very wise idea. Generators are not built like vehicle motors. They are designed for stationary use, I read in awhile ago that some one was doing this, the generator will usually trip when you hit a but because the oil sloshes around and the generator will shut off on low oil.[ /QUOTE]
A very large number of MH owners drive with the geny running all the time with no adverse affects. Most doing that think it is more efficient to run the geny and roof air than the dash air. The RV geny's are desinged to be used that way. As I said I never found the need.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

We kept the generator (also an Onan) on our boat going all the time we were out... It ran the AC and radar. That thing was rocked and rolled all over the place, and never suffered any ill effects (although I did).

I really don't see hove movement could effect them... just my opinion.

Having said that, I'm not sure about the auto mode. Generators seem to like continuous duty more than a lot of stopping and starting. The generator on the boat went to idle mode when the demand dropped. That's something that I wish that the genset in the motorhome did. Dropping to idle when not under a load would save fuel.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #6

I've run the generator on the road (specifically to power the A/C) a few times and never had a problem. Fam Cruiser's post is the first negative I've heard about running the genset in all the years I've been RVing.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

I Stand corrected. directly from the cummins site.

Q: Is it practical to power the roof air conditioner with my generator
while traveling on the road?
A: Yes, that is what a generator is for, portable electrical power. In fact, it can
help lower fuel consumption because the generator uses less fuel than your
vehicle engine. Plus, it gives you an opportunity to exercise your generator. Any
appliance that can be run in a stationary position can also be powered while
driving.

Not for me, But hey what ever floats your boat
fam cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

Fam Cruiser, Interesting statement from Cummins. I really didn't think of it in terms of saving fuel but of keeping the passengers in the back cool when the cab air wasn't up to keeping the back of the house (and passengers) cool enough. When I would be running the generator I would also be using the cab air.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #9

We run ours on the road to power the roof a/c occasionally, but mainly to brew a cup of coffee or cook something in the microwave!!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

Thanks guys. My question was more specifically, can it be run in auto mode so it only comes on as needed by the ac/thermostat. The Manual says in auto mode, to prevent constant stopping and starting, it will run in no less than 10 minute intervals. I thought it would be more efficient than running it 8 hours straight on a long driving day, but the manual also "seems" to indicate that it will only run in auto mode while stationary; so I am unsure and thought someone must have figured this out before me...

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #11

We ran ours all the time on our previous unit. Never had a problem. The owners manual even had directions for doing so, and there was a gen start button located in the drivers area cluster of switches.

Our previous motorhome was a class A Airstream Land Yacht. Had two roof airs and required 50 amp sevice. The generator would run both air conditioners and anything else that was wanted at the same time, no problems.

Our current unit has not been run while we drive, but I would not hesitate to run it if I needed it.

Good luck,

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

The answer to the OP's question is yes, you can set the generator to run in 'Auto' while driving - at least you can on our Seneca. Keep in mind, though, that each time you start / stop the engine (i.e. for gas), the genny will reset to manual mode.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #13

Joe, just my opinion, I would start the generator and let it run. I always start it up and let it run 3-4 minutes before putting it under load. I would not use the auto feature, and I doubt you'll save much fuel. I always shut down the load to the generator and let it run for 3-4 minutes and then shut it off.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #14

I am going to use common sense on this one. The "auto" mode in question here is likely it will start automatically when the shore power is removed. I have never heard of any device that will sense power is needed or not needed to control the generator starting and stopping.

I will grant a device COULD be designed that could be connected to the thermostat and accomplish this function. But there is no "oh,yeah" to this. It will require some serious thought and understanding of electrical control circuit design.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I am going to use common sense on this one. The "auto" mode in question here is likely it will start automatically when the shore power is removed. I have never heard of any device that will sense power is needed or not needed to control the generator starting and stopping.
The Onan Auto Start that JAYCO uses only comes on when either the battery drops to a certain voltage or the thermostat calls for cooling depending on how you have it set. IIRC it can also be set to do both.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #16

Then, Grumpy, I have learned something. I have never seen or heard of that functionality but if you have seen then I'll take your word for it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Then, Grumpy, I have learned something. I have never seen or heard of that functionality but if you have seen then I'll take your word for it.
Had it on our SENECA