Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Generator oil change?

Yes, I searched the forums to see if this has been posted and perhaps it has, but I was unwilling to go through the 546 pages of posts to find it!

Our Greyhawk is a little beyond one year, purchased just before Christmas in 2017. We have used the generator sparingly, never longer than maybe 30 minutes and usually just to keep the A/C on while parking, setting up, etc.

Not sure how many hours but can't be that many (and I am at work, not near the rig).

When I checked the oil two weeks ago, it still looks pretty pristine (not dark at all), but surely after at least 14 months, and how knows how long it sat on the dealer lot, it should be changed out, right?

We are about to take it out in two weeks for our first weekend trip this year.

Any have any advice, suggestions, obscure references they want to submit?!

Thanks in advance.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
While the oil may look good, it can still contain quite a few contaminant that are bad for the engine. Moisture can build up in the oil along with acids that will eat up the insides. My philosophy is run the engine regularly and when you do get it good and hot.

When I had my plane, my mechanic swore by running it often and letting it build some real heat to help boil off the contaminants.

No real data to back this up with...
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #3

I would change it for peace of mind. Its inexpensive to do verse having your generator crap out.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

We change ours at least once a year regardless of miles or hours as recommended by most engine manufacturers.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Personally I use synthetic oil in all of my engines, it's better oil and it since it's made from natural gas the residual sulfur is considerably less. This residual sulfur combines with water to form sulfuric acid in the oil. As the a previous poster stated you need to run your generator periodically and get it up to full operating temperature and keep it there or a while. This is what boils off the water. Just periodically starting the engine only letting it run for a few minutes is worse the not starting it at all as the combustion creates water vapor and it get in the oil but the engine doesn't get hot enough to evaporate it. This might be helpful: Oil Degradation. Ya I know it's from England but it's still good information.
Johnny Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #6

Oil degrades with time. I would change it two or three times a year whether you use it much or not.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #7

According to the Onan manual, “change oil at least once a year.”
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
When I checked the oil two weeks ago, it still looks pretty pristine (not dark at all), but surely after at least 14 months, and how knows how long it sat on the dealer lot, it should be changed out, right?
If the history of the previous oil service is unknown, certainly change it now to establish the service record including the quality of the oil and filter used. After that, service on the manufacturer's calendar & run-time limits. We will always change before the run-time limit, but disregard the calendar limit. I don't lose sleep over keeping slightly used oil in the crankcase over time. I always exercise the unit on a regular basis to, among other things, drive moisture from the oil. If you do 'worry' about such things, then certainly change your oil regardless of its use at the calendar limit.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
According to the Onan manual, “change oil at least once a year.”
What he said ^ ^ ^
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
What he said ^ ^ ^

Just go ahead and change it.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #11

Unused equipment, eventually will not work when you need it. Especially items that use fluids that can change or go stale. Your generator should be run a minimum of a half hour every month, or stored correctly with stabilizers and such. We change oil/filter in the engines, both main engine and generator's engine, twice a year and run both a minimum of a half hour on the first of every month. Hydraulic leveling legs also get exercised to keep seals lubed. Its just simple insurance. You have it for when you need it.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Unused equipment, eventually will not work when you need it. Especially items that use fluids that can change or go stale. Your generator should be run a minimum of a half hour every month, or stored correctly with stabilizers and such. We change oil/filter in the engines, both main engine and generator's engine, twice a year and run both a minimum of a half hour on the first of every month. Hydraulic leveling legs also get exercised to keep seals lubed. Its just simple insurance. You have it for when you need it.
Great advice. Oil collects condensation, will age out just sitting, oxidization from contaminates can collect, just condensation going from hot to cold.
Changing oil and filters regularly is any engines best friend along with frequent use.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
^ ^ ^ Agree 100%

In fact... today is going to be the day!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #14

Generator Usage

By all means change your oil. Oil change is the cheapest maintenance you can do for your generator. Mine held about a quart and a half of oil. Secondly, run your generator once a month and let it come up to operating temperature. The carburator for my Onan was $300 in round numbers plus labor to install. NOT using the generator is worse than running it. If you don't run it often enough gum and varnish will build up inside the carb.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #15

Thanks all, just as soon as we get our Greyhawk back from repair, I will be changing the generator oil, prior to the next trip.

Now all I have to do is get State Farm to pay for (most of) it! The new wheels, hub, lug nuts, etc. not the oil change!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #16

Oil doesn't go 'bad' sitting in the un-opened container does it?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #17

Also check into adding a Fumoto Valve to make future oil changes a lot easier and cleaner. Also nice to be able to drain hot oil without getting burnt and drain direct into jugs.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #18

Amazon link to the Fumoto Valve?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #19

It all depends on the drain plug thread on your generator. On the 8K in our Seneca, it required adapter ADP-710 to thread into the generator 1/4” npt drain hole and then valve F-N107 to thread in the adapter. This was also the same setup that the 5k onan in our old Winnebago too. You will have to check the threads on your drain plug to be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
We change ours at least once a year regardless of miles or hours as recommended by most engine manufacturers.
Ditto and always in spring just at the start of camping season.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote