Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Generator shutting off

My generator has recently started acting up. It runs fine when we are parked but as soon as we start driving it shuts down within 5 minutes. I noticed that the new motorhomes are coming with vented generator doors I was wondering if they there having problems with these things overheating?
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #2

Is the MH fuel tank more than 1/4 full?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #3

Oil level

Possibly as you turn a corner the oil shifts away from the pick-up and loses oil pressure - if the oil level is a little low or an overheating issue but when you are moving i would think that the air moving would cool the generator more than when it is sitting still
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Possibly as you turn a corner the oil shifts away from the pick-up and loses oil pressure...
Les
X2
Old 03-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

Is it flashing a code ?
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

The oil level is good. When I saw a new red hawk the other day with a vented outter door it got me thinking it might be getting hot from the Heat off the V10 and Jayco decided give them more air flow. Im not sure about the code. I didnt realize the generator gives trouble codes i will have to break out the owners manual and se how to read them. When i was poking around today i did notice that the rubber fuel line bends tight around the generator frame. I think I will extend the line so it dosent kink. I might even insulate it because I have a feeling that it might be getting vapor lock.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

I posted a pick of the fuel line eventually the fram will rub a hole in it. Something for everyone to check.
Attached Thumbnails
D1D02645-CBB0-4CBC-9EE2-CBD494BCF8FB.jpg   2DC669F3-23AA-4437-88DF-60562BFFC95D.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

In the bottom pic i moved the line out a bit so you can see the wear starting on the fuel line.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #9

If it shutting down you can count the flashes on the red indicator light on the start switch outside if it is setting a code. 3 flashes means there is another code that you have to get. While flashing the 3 times, press the stop button quickly and you will see another 2 digit code. It will flash the code over and over for about 5 mins.I think this was how I found my problem once, mine was starving for fuel due to a bad fuel pump.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

Ok thanks. Im going to try and do something with the fuel line. And if that dont work please slow down when you see me on the shoulder of the highway counting blinks and cursing Jayco off.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #11

One of my jobs used to be maintaining big 16 cylinder cummins gen sets but the Onan can be a pain figuring out sometimes, why they never put a slide out tray on these coaches is beyond me sure would of made things easier. You will figure it out, that module that controls the gen set can cause problems. As someone said keep oil full and gas above 1/4 tank. I saw where one person had their Onan shutting down just below a 1/2 tank I think that was a goof on the pickup line when placedIn case you haven't already done this. Go to the onan web site an download a complete service/tech manual. It will answer all the questions you have, including part #'s.
Go to: http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/ then click on Maintance Parts then click on Tech Documents then scroll through and find your particular generator.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #12

This probably won't be helpful, but I thought I would post a link to it, j.i.c.

I had an intermittent issue with mine, when in auto-gen mode where it would shut itself off. I ended up discovering a bad wire at the battery bank where a fuse-holder had been eaten up by battery acid causing it to lose connection to the ignition source, making the gen think I had cycled the ignition and putting it into 'protect' mode.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...f-46814-2.html