Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #1

Generator Transfer Relay box burnt

I have a 2015 Redhawk 26XD. With 12,000 miles. Yesterday we lost shore power and discovered that the issue was traced to the generator transfer/relay switch that is located in a box under the bed. There are a series of lugs on top of the relay on the box that are the electric connections between the shore power, the fuse/breaker panel, and the generator. They are marked “panel’ ‘Shore’ ‘generator’. The neutral (white ) wire that comes from the relay to the lug marked ‘panel’ had burned completely off the lug. I jumped the wire, thus eliminating the relay and lug, in order to maintain shore power to the fuse/breaker panel. This evening I lost shore power again, and discovered the lead (black) wire had burnt off. I suspect that the problem lies with the transfer switch/relay. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
14F43C59-85F8-4FFE-80C2-377F120A6946.jpg  
Gailscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #2

Could have been a loose connection that caused the problem. I would connect the shore power line directly to the line going to the fuse pane until you get it replaced.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #3

Thanks that what we did...
Gailscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailscott View Post
Thanks that what we did...
I see that you bypassed it to the shore power - As I look at the connectors you used... butt connectors are not all that good for heavy loads...

I would pull those off and twist the wires directly together and use wire nuts (red for 2#10 is a tight squeeze, unless they are stranded wire)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
CAG

One has to wonder just how safe it is to have all of the electrical connections under the master bed. Makes me warm and fuzzy.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
One has to wonder just how safe it is to have all of the electrical connections under the master bed. Makes me warm and fuzzy.
This is one of the reasons on my coach I installed NEST smoke alarms that are linked together. I put one in my electronics bay and one near the master bedroom. If smoke is detected in the bay both alarms will sound.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:00 AM   #7

If 30a OR 50A service, and drawing (very close to) or (OVER RATED AMPS), just screws being "not quite tight enough" can GENERATE HEAT= more resistance= more heat; if 50a, several other possibilities. If running electric heat, feel/ inspect each receptacle/ plug for heat; should be NONE...
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote