Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #21
Site Team

About 10 years or so. Much longer than an RV genny would remain dormant. It's much more likely to happen in a portable generator. The one you forgot about in your garage, or in the one you just bought at a yard sale that belonged to someone else that forgot it was there!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #22

No need to apologise for your post. There are a lot of us out here looking for an answers. So you could help someone like me a rookie learn something new. I would like to give you an answer to this I was told by the tech who walked me through my MH today said in a gas generator you need to run at least an hour a month. He has worked at the dealer for the past 12 years. Also said to use like a sta-bil in the tank to help keep the gas fresh.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
OK, maybe. But isn't it a sealed oil system with a threaded cap versus dip stick, so how much moisture can get in there?

First, I’m not a mechanic although I have rebuild a few engines, so I don’t know for sure, but just like in a car, there needs to be some crankcase ventilation to allow the piston to move up and down, so it’s not completely sealed. In a car you have a PVC valve to provide crankcase ventilation.
I’m sure it’s not a lot of moisture or the oil would begin to turn white.
I have been told by many mechanics not to just start up my classic cars if they have been sitting for a while, the oil must come up to full temperature to clear out any moisture.
I only get my generators up and running once every couple months so I’m not following the manufacturer recommendations to the letter.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have been told by many mechanics not to just start up my classic cars if they have been sitting for a while, the oil must come up to full temperature to clear out any moisture.
I only get my generators up and running once every couple months so I’m not following the manufacturer recommendations to the letter.
I understand that about the oil, and it should be hot and up to temperature in probably 5 - 10 minutes or so, I can see letting it run for another 15 minutes to keep it up to temp and evaporate any minimal moisture, but 2 hours????

I do the same thing, I treated the gas in the Fall, but only fire up the genny every couple of months for 20 - 30 minutes with a electric heater plugged in as a load. I can't see the reason to run it multiple hours every month, seems like overkill.

I only run my backup house generator maybe twice a year, but it's propane, so I don't have to worry about the carb getting fouled.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #25
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Another reason to exercise any generator, RV or portable. In time, the residual magnetism is lost, and the generator won't produce power. This can also happen if you run it for long periods with no load on it. Our portable genny at home gets started, and a trouble light plugged into it. I let it run for quite a while, and replenish the gas in the tank, with another dose of Stabil.
Yes, I think there is something in the manual about the winding needing to be exercised and moisture remove with running. I don't think it is only the oil that can be problematic.

https://rvdiychannel.com/2014/07/08/...rv-generators/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #26

My 2 cents on the generator use question: As everyone has already mentioned, use it or lose it! These coach generators sit essentially outside and are subject to heat, humidity, cold, critters, etc. Humidity is truly a generator killer as a humid environment will create rust on the rotor and stator which eventually lead to under voltage issues. I know because I had a Koehler 4000 watt generator on my boat :-). I never had issues with mine but lots of folks did. Here’s my recommendations for properly exercising a generator:
1) Check generator oil level and coach fuel level. The generator fuel pick up sits higher in the coach fuel tank to prevent you from using all your fuel so that your main engine will not run and you get stranded.
2) Make sure all 120 volt breakers are off on your power center.
3) Start the generator unloaded ( no 120v accessories on).
4) Run the generator unloaded for 15 minutes to warm it up.
5) After about 15 minutes, sequence on loads one at a time. Start your AC unit, wait a few minutes, start your water heater on electric (IF you have fresh water!), start TV’s and place a cup of water in the microwave and turn it on high.
6) Run fully loaded for at least 30 minutes.
7) Slowly shed each 120v load - one at a time while waiting 5 minutes or so.
8) Once all 120v loads are off, let the generator run unloaded for 10-15 minutes. This will allow a bit of a “cool down” period.
9) shut down the generator and write down the date of the run.
9) Do it again next month :-)

My personal experience doing this routine has really prevented me from having any generator issues to date.
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #27

Frodo, good advice.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #28

Young wise man say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo13056 View Post
My 2 cents on the generator use question: As everyone has already mentioned, use it or lose it! These coach generators sit essentially outside and are subject to heat, humidity, cold, critters, etc. Humidity is truly a generator killer as a humid environment will create rust on the rotor and stator which eventually lead to under voltage issues. I know because I had a Koehler 4000 watt generator on my boat :-). I never had issues with mine but lots of folks did. Here’s my recommendations for properly exercising a generator:
1) Check generator oil level and coach fuel level. The generator fuel pick up sits higher in the coach fuel tank to prevent you from using all your fuel so that your main engine will not run and you get stranded.
2) Make sure all 120 volt breakers are off on your power center.
3) Start the generator unloaded ( no 120v accessories on).
4) Run the generator unloaded for 15 minutes to warm it up.
5) After about 15 minutes, sequence on loads one at a time. Start your AC unit, wait a few minutes, start your water heater on electric (IF you have fresh water!), start TV’s and place a cup of water in the microwave and turn it on high.
6) Run fully loaded for at least 30 minutes.
7) Slowly shed each 120v load - one at a time while waiting 5 minutes or so.
8) Once all 120v loads are off, let the generator run unloaded for 10-15 minutes. This will allow a bit of a “cool down” period.
9) shut down the generator and write down the date of the run.
9) Do it again next month :-)

My personal experience doing this routine has really prevented me from having any generator issues to date.
Old wise man say: kinda the same thing - USE IT or LOSE IT.

Middle age fertility doctor say: Use it or lose it

Onan Diesel generator mechanic say - when I had our Generator serviced: Use the hell out of it - if you do it will last longer than you do.

We do, it works well every day.... today included.
Attached Thumbnails
20200206_201436.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #29

Generator Exercise Interval

My generator is the Onan Marquis 5500 watt. I had several instances of hard to start. Added Stabil, etc. but it didn't seem to help much. I started using premium fuel and it has started super since then. I exercise it about 45 minutes to one hour on a monthly basis and it starts right up. I use an air conditioner and electric water heater for the load except when cool. Then I use the Heat pump.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #30

Sometimes you just cannot run the gen every month so in that case disconnect the gas hose going into the gen and run it dry. You can also use a 2-5 gal gas can with sta-bil or seafoam to run the gen after it sets for awhile. That way you will not be using the old gas in the rv.
Anything is better than just letting it set with old gas in the carb.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #31

If you are looking for ethanol free gas go to pure-gas.org and click on your state.
2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4 (toad)
All Blue Ox tow gear
RVi brake and TPMS
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #32

Agree and as well we run non-ethanol fuel and use full synthetic oil. Also installed a fuel shut off valve so when finished with the generator I close the valve and let her(the carb) run dry.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Agree and as well we run non-ethanol fuel and use full synthetic oil. Also installed a fuel shut off valve so when finished with the generator I close the valve and let her(the carb) run dry.
Can you put a link to the valve you used? Install instructions? I like the idea of running the carb bowl empty.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #34

I purchased locally at a small engine repair shop. Pinched the supply side hose shut and made a cut, installed the valve and some hose clamps.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
I purchased locally at a small engine repair shop. Pinched the supply side hose shut and made a cut, installed the valve and some hose clamps.
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-07-403...s%2C158&sr=8-2

Old 02-12-2020, 07:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch C View Post
If you are looking for ethanol free gas go to pure-gas.org and click on your state.

Great tip, thank you
I found a couple more near my home that I didn’t realize sold ethanol free gas.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #37

Mine is some sort of plastic(nylon?) that is made for gas however that which you illustrated looks to be a good choice.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #38

I don't know if all models have drain valves for the float bowl but apparently the 4K one does. Would be easier to drain the carb than running it dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #39

Another reason to run under load is the brushes that make contact with the armature. Jat
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I don't know if all models have drain valves for the float bowl but apparently the 4K one does. Would be easier to drain the carb than running it dry.
I did not know that - and I really appreciate you sharing that !