Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Generator Usage

First of all, would like to apologize for all the posts. I'm someone who likes to have as much information as possible, especially with a big decision like this.

I have used coaches for many years, but have never owned. I've always thought of the generator as a treasured commodity, not to be abused. But with my information gathering, I'm becoming to realize that it can and should be used as much as any other system on the coach. Just looking for points of view or opinions.
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #2

The generator needs to be run at half capacity for at least an hour a month. My Redhawk had only 10 hours from the previous owner and I spent hours with seafoam, a new filter and fuel pump to get it running.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
CAG

The generator is there for your convenience. It will provide power for AC appliances when not hooked to shore power. If you are doing work on the RV while at home it can provide power for tools etc rather than having to run a electrical to provide power. It is also one of those items that if it is not used and maintained can be a thorn. So my theory is use it when you need it and keep it exercised between trips so that it works for you when you need it.

Follow you manual's recommendations for "exercise" and treat the gas tank with SeaFoam so that your carb and system remain free of varnish.

Ours gets a lot of use on boondocking and hunting trips.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

I could have sworn the manual said 2 hours at 1/2 load ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I could have sworn the manual said 2 hours at 1/2 load ...
My diesel generator manual says 2hrs but maybe gas is different.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
My diesel generator manual says 2hrs but maybe gas is different.
Our gas says 2 hours as well.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

I wouldn't want to be without a generator. Been there, done that in my younger days. Once I got my Lance camper 25 years ago with a propane generator I was hooked. Now I have a Greyhawk with a nice 4k unit that I love. I also bring along a little 2200 watt inverter generator that I use when the big power demand is not required. Saves wear and tear on the big expensive genny.

I totally agree with the other posts that it is required that the generator be run under load every month. It is printed in the owner's manual. The carb will gum up if you don't and the thing may not start or it will run like crap.

My son's 5th wheel has a 5500 geny in it and he failed to exercise it often enough. Had to replace the carb as it wasn't serviceable. He is now replacing the entire unit because it basically blew up. He is installing a new EFI unit that does not have a carb. Maybe those don't require exercising as often but I would still do it for piece of mind.

Get a generator. You will be glad you did!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #8

Question for Sea Foam users. My motor home has a 55 gallon tank which would take a lot of Sea Foam for routine cleaning. I never let my tank get too low so if I treated the entire tank it would get diluted before going through as much of the cleaner as I would like.

Just wondering what others do. Most of my camping is boondocking so my generator gets a good amount of use. When I am not out I will exercise it for about 1/2 hour each month which has worked OK for me so far since I use the rig pretty often. I may increase the exercise time since I thought it was only suppose to be an hour each month but upon looking it is indeed 2 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture3.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
CAG

I buy it by the gallon but in the case of the genny using gas from the engine tank (Class A-C) I treat the gas remaining in the tank at the end of a trip. So, if I have 20 gals left I put enough in to treat that twenty and let it mix around on the way to storage. I then do not worry about treating the gas during the next trip since it will be "fresh".

This keeps treated gas in the tank for running the generator for the exercise routine.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #10

I believe there are a few reasons to start it up every month, and 2 hours should be good. Here are 3 reasons, could be more.
If the gas evaporates from the carb, it leaves a gummy Substance behind that will cause problems and clogs later.
The oil will absorb moisture, so you need to run it long enough for it to get hot and dry out the oil.
And, all those moving parts need to get oiled so the gaskets don’t dry out and rust does not start developing inside the generator.

I use ethanol free premium in my Portable generators and add stabil if the fuel is not used up in a couple months. Ethanol will cause plastic parts like fuel lines to degrade early. Auto engines use primarily brass parts, metal or rubber fuel lines but small engines can be made with a lot of plastic parts.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #11

I say use it, and use it often.

Even if you don't "need" it, use it often. For all the reasons mentioned above, it needs to run to stay in shape. And just like any other machine, it needs to be properly maintained if you want it to continue to work.

My in-laws NEVER exercised their generator, NEVER treated their fuel in storage (we have no access to ethanol-free gas), and their carb has gummed up TWICE because of this. I told them they needed to USE the generator often, or it wasn't going to work right; told them this right after FIL replaced his first carb. They didn't listen, and had to replace it again. Still don't listen, so they'll probably do it again ... or not... FIL isn't in any shape to be turning wrenches these days, and they wouldn't pay someone to fix it. They used their lack of faith in their entire MH (and especially their generator) as an excuse not to go with us on a cross-country trip to one of their "bucket-list" destinations. DW told me this, and I could only shake my head.

I keep a tight maintenance schedule on that generator, and I run it at least monthly MOST of the time. There have been exceptions, but if I'm not able to get to it monthly to exercise it, it at least has treated fuel in it. This time of year, it can be up to 2 months between visits; busy season at work...

We use our generator ALL THE TIME, so I need it to work, so I take care of it. IMO, running it and using it are part of taking care of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #12

Here is a tip on finding ethanol free fuel. The big fuel dealers won’t have it, like shell or Chevron. Check with independent fuel and convenience stores in outlying areas. The smaller the town or the more farmland areas the better the potential. Loggers and farmers know the value and request it to be sold in their areas.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Here is a tip on finding ethanol free fuel. The big fuel dealers won’t have it, like shell or Chevron. Check with independent fuel and convenience stores in outlying areas. The smaller the town or the more farmland areas the better the potential. Loggers and farmers know the value and request it to be sold in their areas.
Largely agricultural area, relatively rural, still can't find it close by. I continue to hold out hope and look for it everywhere I can though... I even have several clients in agriculture and have asked them specifically, and they give me a look like I have lobsters coming out of my ears.

In fact, the closest place to me that I know has it is actually a chain station (Valero IIRC) and there's a Wal-Mart (Murphy) relatively close to that same spot that has it. Both are still 30+ miles away in the wrong direction, and FAR less rural than where I live.

It's been advised that stations near marinas typically have it available. The station closest to the largest marina in the area (I drive by it at least once a week) doesn't have it, nor do the other 3 or 4 next closest stations. All independently owned.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

I know many have said to run the genny for two hours under load, to exercise it. But I have a question. I understand running it regularly to keep the gas flowing through and keep it lubricated, by why for such a long time?

What happens that second hour that doesn't happen the first hour? Running under half load makes sense, but once the genny is up to temperature, all the moisture is burned off, the oil has been splashed around, and fuel has been run through the carb, what else is accomplished? Why doesn't a good 20 minutes accomplish these same results?

It also seems like the manufacturers want you to run these things longer, part of planned obsolescence, so you'll get to replace it when it breaks down? It's a mechanical item, after all, it won't last forever.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #15

I’ve always wondered that myself. Why not 1 hour?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #16

It takes time and heat to get any moisture to evaporate out of the oil. That said, I think an hour under old is probably fine.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #17

Even though diesels don't run as hot so it may take longer to burn moisture off, unless I use it driving to a campsite running the AC or space heater an hour is all it gets in storage. No carburetors though.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
It takes time and heat to get any moisture to evaporate out of the oil. That said, I think an hour under old is probably fine.
OK, maybe. But isn't it a sealed oil system with a threaded cap versus dip stick, so how much moisture can get in there?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Another reason to exercise any generator, RV or portable. In time, the residual magnetism is lost, and the generator won't produce power. This can also happen if you run it for long periods with no load on it. Our portable genny at home gets started, and a trouble light plugged into it. I let it run for quite a while, and replenish the gas in the tank, with another dose of Stabil.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Another reason to exercise any generator, RV or portable. In time, the residual magnetism is lost, and the generator won't produce power.

What time frame are we talking about?