Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Getting Excited!

Next weekend 1/31-2/3 is a RV Show at St Louis. We are shopping for our first RV and are leaning towards a Jayco Greyhawk or Entegra Odyssey, Minnie Winnie is a distant 3rd for now.
The St Louis Dealer told me that they will have several Redhawks and two Greyhawks there. One will be the Greyhawk 30Z which I love the huge entertainment center in this floor plan.
What they have are 2018 Models. They still have a "discounted price" as if they were 2019 Models. I hope my wife doesn't go into sticker shock. I would expect 33% off a 2019 Model for a cash outright price and 40% off for a 2018 Model?
We have never set foot in a Class C even.....really hoping the "wow factor" will persuade my wife to finally retire........I can dream right?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

We've owned four motorhomes over 15 years two class A and two C. For us floor plan is #1, brand is second, maintenance comes in next, and manufacture's provided resources after that.
What we've always enjoyed about motorhomes is that they are self-contained RVs and need nothing else.

Happy trails.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

I’ve watch you post, read your thoughts, and I know how prepared you are. You’ve done quite a lot of research. Just know that you can still get just a good of a deal away from the show, too. After owning mine for a few months, I can tell you, with 100% certainty, I will never buy a show model. There are certain things you have to handle carefully and when you have thousands of people poking, pulling, and proding them, things are going to break. I can also tell you that you will know more than most salesmen at the show with the particular models you’ve studied. Don’t let that discourage you. Have fun, take pictures, and I am extremely happy for you.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Looking around is the greatest right? We considered the Minnie Winnies too as at the time Jayco and Winnebago were still independents. Hubby liked the Jride extras and I liked the finishes in the Jayco. The two year warranty sealed the deal for us. WE chose the 29 mv and bought off the lot for a good discount. Yes the unit was dirty and had some moldings chipped etc but the dealer repaired and cleaned everything well. The key is a really thorough inspection both pre and at delivery and a reputable dealer.WE identified all the little dings we saw and then asked the throw in slide toppers. We also wanted a dealer close by so did not end up buying the show model. We are really happy with our unit and have had no warranty work needed..two years in April...

Enjoy the process...
Baldfacemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

We have a 2019 redhawk class c 22j. There differences between the 2018 model and 2019. The 2019 comes with a slide topper , not on 2018 just one example.. So check out all model yrs..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 AM   #6

Lots of good pointers....Thank you all very much. Slide toppers from the factory is a great addition, would save me having to add them at a higher price later. I agree about buying a show display. Two thoughts on it: either they're going to have it in tip top shape for a good impression or by the end of the weekend with all the foot traffic through it, it would seem like a used Coach to me.

Been very lucky to have found this site, I have learned so much from actual users with all levels of experience but I realize the learning is a never ending process. Being such a "newbe" at this I know it might seem silly and a waste of money I would consider a professional inspector check out any unit before it left the dealers lot.

The two year warranty, J-Ride are huge benefits. Plus if this seems like a good dealer they are only two hrs away from us. The only other Dealer close would be a CW and I'm cautious about any dealings with them. Would much rather buy from "the small guy" with a good reputation.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #7

Forget cw. Awful service. Have a local camper who bought from cw nothing but issues on their thor class c.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

The way I kind of see it any (and possibly all) can have problems right off but customer service from the dealer and manufacturer after the sale is the key. The Greyhawk and Entegra Odyssey two year warranty are key points for me. Especially the Jride feature. I see on Minnie Winnie forums where new owners are adding all kind of aftermarket components trying to get the ride that comes standard on the Greyhawk/Odyssey. The airbags on the Minnies just don't impress me too much.
Seems like the more I learn.......the pickier I get
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Team

I know I've said this to you before, but you need to get out in the wind. Pick something and start living the RV lifestyle. You are never going to pick the perfect unit for you. Things change over time. Get what is best for you right now and enjoy.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Shows are a good place to browse and compare units from various manufacturers and review "show only pricing". However, those show deals are very negotiable. Shop around, take your time, don't let any salesman rush you with a one time must buy it right now offer or else.

I have learned a few things from personal experience ( having purchased 3 new travel trailers, 1 new class C motorhome, and 4 new class A motorhomes during my lifetime to date): 1) I would not buy a show display unit ever again, too many issues from show traffic abuse to usually being a rushed out of the factory new model off a new production line. 2) Stay with a local, and often times smaller dealer. You will usually get better service after the sale, and with good negotiating skills, can usually get close to the volume dealer pricing anyway. I purchased my most recent coach from a smaller dealer, and after all was said and done, only paid about $1,700 over RV One pricing.

Good luck with your shopping, enjoy it, it can be a lot of fun! By the way RetiredLEO, I am still on the job (don't want to tell you how many years or you will laugh!) but plan on retiring the end of this year.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #11

Our experience with jayco tech support and parts support has been great. Quick response to all our questions.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
Site Team

I agree with the others about show pricing being nothing special. My experience with RV and boat shows is they are hoping for that emotional impulse sale so their best price may not be on the table. Also the foot traffic with kids yanking on the cabinets and flopping on the furniture is not a plus lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
Shows are a good place to browse and compare units from various manufacturers and review "show only pricing". However, those show deals are very negotiable. Shop around, take your time, don't let any salesman rush you with a one time must buy it right now offer or else.

I have learned a few things from personal experience ( having purchased 3 new travel trailers, 1 new class C motorhome, and 4 new class A motorhomes during my lifetime to date): 1) I would not buy a show display unit ever again, too many issues from show traffic abuse to usually being a rushed out of the factory new model off a new production line. 2) Stay with a local, and often times smaller dealer. You will usually get better service after the sale, and with good negotiating skills, can usually get close to the volume dealer pricing anyway. I purchased my most recent coach from a smaller dealer, and after all was said and done, only paid about $1,700 over RV One pricing.

Good luck with your shopping, enjoy it, it can be a lot of fun! By the way RetiredLEO, I am still on the job (don't want to tell you how many years or you will laugh!) but plan on retiring the end of this year.
Thanks for all the good advice K9Nardu I agree with not buying a show display. In a four day show it would probably get more foot traffic wear than we would do to it in five years.
I am a old horse trader I love, pardon the expression "The Art Of The Deal" I would hope and expect if need be a dealer would order in exactly what we want on a cash deal for a similar or better price as a coach sitting on the lot.

Best wishes for your retirement I have been out for five years now. I put in 16 1/2 years and stroked out. Same week they found two holes in my heart, now repaired. Sheriff put me out to pasture. Then they discovered I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, 2 ruptured, one herniated disc. I'm fortunate that my Son is a Master Sergeant with the Hwy Patrol and his wife is a Prosecuting Attorney so I am still some what involved vicariously through them
One of the many reasons a Class C would work out so good for us vs a T.T. With auto leveling the camp set-up and tear down would be so much easier. Then to have the freedom to just pull over every so often to be able to get up and move around or lay down makes a Class C Coach a no brainer for us vs a TT
Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

We've made some of our most expensive mistakes at RV shows (one time we could have saved $3,000 if we'd looked around after we made our choice). As others have said, pick your model at the show, take some time in them (floor plan is key), and then shop around. I almost guarantee there's a better deal somewhere else. Check out the bed (I don't mean the mattress - they all feel good the first couple of weeks). Lie in the bed to get a feel for how much room you have, getting in and out of it, ease in making it, etc. Don't be embarrassed to lie in it. We love RV shows - we go every year to the one in SLC, UT coming up in February.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #15

Well whichever way you end up going it sounds like you're really close to getting your camper!

Good luck finding the one that you want!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

One other tiny thing- the minute you buy, they'll come out with another one that hits more boxes of things you wanted. Or they'll change parts and pieces to the one you just got. Or a new, better, shiney RV will give you naughty looks. Don't get caught up in it. Enjoy what you have.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
We love RV shows - we go every year to the one in SLC, UT coming up in February.
We might see you there!... "It's a great Valentine Date" said my DW never...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I would expect 33% off a 2019 Model for a cash outright price and 40% off for a 2018 Model?
I didn't negotiate that hard and got more then 35% off a 2019 in the summer of 2018.

I probably could have gotten a little bit more off if I waited. They had 3 arrive within a week, I bought 1 of them, the other 2 sat for months.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #19

Just saw the floor plan of the show and there will be two Jayco Dealers there with a large part of the Convention Center designated to them.
We're suppose to go from a low of NEGATIVE 16 tonight to the 40's & 50's this weekend.........will feel like a nice Springtime ride to St Louis this weekend
Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
We've made some of our most expensive mistakes at RV shows (one time we could have saved $3,000 if we'd looked around after we made our choice). As others have said, pick your model at the show, take some time in them (floor plan is key), and then shop around. I almost guarantee there's a better deal somewhere else. Check out the bed (I don't mean the mattress - they all feel good the first couple of weeks). Lie in the bed to get a feel for how much room you have, getting in and out of it, ease in making it, etc. Don't be embarrassed to lie in it. We love RV shows - we go every year to the one in SLC, UT coming up in February.
We have always put a 2" memory foam topper on our camp trailer mattresses. Jayco does have a better mattress than the Rockwood, but it still needed help.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote