Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #21

That is awesome that this turned into an adventure with your daughter. I know I have awesome memories of family trips as a child. Mine are a lot younger than yours, but I'm hoping my kids look back fondly on the adventure with me. Great way to see the world up close. Really good looking rig too.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #22

Making me very jealous, Reminds me of a trip I took with my daughter and nephews last summer. Great memories for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #23

Ok, this is the date your set to arrive back at your home base in Austin Texas. Looking forward to your post mission debriefing report. I hope the new Seneca performed flawlessly and you both thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
Ok, this is the date your set to arrive back at your home base in Austin Texas. Looking forward to your post mission debriefing report. I hope the new Seneca performed flawlessly and you both thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Made it home safe and sound.

Rig performed flawlessly.

Will have more details forthcoming ... exhausted for now.

Will say it needs the headlamp upgrade I saw on here and prob something like safe-t steer
As it was 2 hands on the wheel at all times ... road conditions, wind gusts, and vehicle side drafts made driving quite a chore.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

The experience was beyond my wildest hopes!

Now it’s time to sleep

Mike
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #25

We have added to the factory rear sway bar a rear track bar, a front sway bar and track bar, a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, koni shocks on all four corners, and sumo springs on all four corners.
We installed everything ourselves and saved.

Ours drives and handles like a large SUV. No push from wind or large trucks, no tail wagging, and no sawing of the steering wheel.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
We have added to the factory rear sway bar a rear track bar, a front sway bar and track bar, a safe-t-plus steering stabilizer, koni shocks on all four corners, and sumo springs on all four corners.
We installed everything ourselves and saved.

Ours drives and handles like a large SUV. No push from wind or large trucks, no tail wagging, and no sawing of the steering wheel.
Wow, yep that’s what I’m after.

Do you have a parts list?

Mike
Old 01-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #27

Most add ons can be found at Chevy C4500/C5500 Class C Chassis but we didn't always purchase directly from them but found lower prices from other sources such as www.etrailer.com.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #28

I bought mine used, so I’m not sure how different it is from stock. It does have rear air bags.
That being said, I don’t feel that it drives poorly at all. Actually drives really good. Maybe more was done than just the air bags?
Goflight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goflight2 View Post
I bought mine used, so I’m not sure how different it is from stock. It does have rear air bags.
That being said, I don’t feel that it drives poorly at all. Actually drives really good. Maybe more was done than just the air bags?
It is our opinion that finding any add ons such as front or rear track bars or aftermarket shocks should be fairly easy to see by poking one's head under the front bumper or in some cases looking in through the extended front wheel well openings.

Can you post a couple of pictures our your chassis?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #30

Old 01-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #31

We can see someone has added a front sway bar, the rear is factory installed, and it looks like the shocks are factory as well.

The additional front sway bar will help offset some of the "push" from big trucks and winds, and leave you in control.

So that only leaves the need for front and rear track bars, new Koni shocks, a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and our "icing on the cake" option was Sumo springs on all four corners.

But we have been OBSESSED with motorhome chassis' handling and driveability for many years.

We should get our group of first generation Seneca owners together and have a chassis upgrade party.
The weather in Phoenix is going to be 80 degrees for at least the next 10 days.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #32

Thanks! I know that everyone talks about how bad they handle, but I haven’t felt that way. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing! Lol

Now, the headlight issue was another thing entirely!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #33

We don't drive much at night but use our factory brights if needed and rarely get "flashed".
Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #34

I upgraded to the JW Speaker headlights and it made a giant difference.

We also do a lot of dry camping in the High Desert with our SXS, so it really helped when you are in the middle of nowhere in pitch dark.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 AM   #35

While the new headlights are much better than the originals, have the aiming checked. You can do a quick check by parking about 20’ from a wall and measuring the location of intensity. The height should be equal to about the center of the head light and slightly inside a straight line parallel to the side of the coach. On many head lights there is an aiming dot in the lenses that you can measure for height. Google headlight aiming for reference and specifics. While we would think that jayco would align the lights I really don’t think they do. The units are sold to them unladen and then they throw 8-15000 lbs on them. Mine were aimed down and only hitting at 1/3 of the required height.

Worth the quick check. Even if you replace them you will need to aim the headlight.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #36

Seneca cross country adventure!

Picked the rig up with 38209 miles on it, pulled up at my house with 39972.
Trip computer said 1763.5 total miles in 2.5 driving days, about 700 miles a day.

I hadn't refilled since getting home, but including all the fuel stops and my estimate based on the gauge -- I used about 160 gallons of fuel for an average of about 11mpg. Not too shabby considering I have a lead foot. As long as the rig was stable at speed, I was doing ~70-75mph. There were quite a few peaks crossed, and most of the trip was windy.

~$500 fuel, plus $450 in plane tickets plus some meals, RV park costs, and miscellaneous -- < $500. Call it $1500 total to get the rig back to Texas -- but
frankly hanging with my daughter for a few days, who's getting ready to head to college, PRICELESS!

Thanks to all those on the forums that guided the way to this adventure!

Trip report:

Got up early -- caught a flight with my daughter from AUS-LAX.
Picked up by a HS friend of Anna's who now goes to USC. They dropped me off at the RV. They went off and explored Santa Monica and later the USC campus (had to get the senior college visit excuse to miss school :-),
they later met me part way down the road in Pasadena.

Picking up the rig in Thousand Oaks, Ca -- owner was awesome -- walked me though everything -- and I video'd it to remember. Took about 90 minutes or more.

Sky (the dog) decided he liked the rig more than the owner -- and was going to pilot me home.

Had a late lunch with a racing buddy in Pasadena. Anna got dropped off and we proceeded to crawl our way to the East in LA's famous freeway traffic. I hate stop and go in a car -- thank goodness for the engine braking.

Just as the freeway traffic started to clear -- we hit the first set of mountains -- and WOW -- incredible cross winds -- that was a rude awakening. Eventually that subsided to just the occasional gust -- motoring to Vegas for our first stop.

We drove down the Las Vegas Strip on a Saturday night to take in the spectacle of lights -- caught the Bellagio Water Show as we cruised by. Stayed at the Circus Circus RV park, which was good enough -- but more importantly just across the street and a short walk to...

Breakfast at Peppermill Lounge and Grill in Las Vegas -- one of my favorite breakfasts ever -- the serving size is a little over the top -- but it's so good it disappears anyway.

Drove over the Hoover Dam -- daughter got those pix.

Grand Canyon was incredible -- pictures do not do it justice. It looks like a painting, or a movie prop even in real life.

After the Grand Canyon -- we headed towards ABQ. Got in there about 1AM local time and boondocked at a Walmart just off I40. There were a couple other rigs and reasonable lit, so I felt comfortable settling in for the night.

Starbucks happened to be a short walk to caffein-ate the morning -- for the long trip back to Austin. By google we had 11 hours to go. Trust me, the rig doesn't keep up to google's speed standards :-)

We stopped at one of the oldest Truck Stops (circa 1934) and picked up fuel and a few provisions, then made the turn SE to Austin.

Had to get a selfie with the rig behind us -- Lunch in Clovis, NM just prior to entering Texas.

Picked up some fierce cross winds after lunch which kept me on my toes the whole time until we hit I20.

When we turned off I20 -- we hit the incredibly dark, 2 lane twisties that eventually would lead us into the back way to Austin's west side of town. Many harrowing hours later -- we pulled in front of the house. That route was never an issue in the past -- but the rig doesn't handle like an SUV (yet) and the candle lights used for headlamps are a joke (LED's already ordered).

Sorry this was long winded -- but what a great trip despite some of the challenges. I could not have dreamed the Seneca would be in such great shape and so reliable and road worthy -- frankly I scared myself thinking about all the what-ifs and what-could-have-beens... Looking forward to a few modifications for safety and handling -- and then preparing for road trips this fall to a few racing events I have scheduled.

cheers,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Seneca_Trip - 1.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 2.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 3.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 4.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 5.jpg  

Seneca_Trip - 6.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 7.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 8.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 10.jpg   Seneca_Trip - 9.jpg  

Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #37

Suspension goodies.

As I put the rig into the storage lot, I snapped some photos underneath.

I was surprised to see no front swaybar. I know the PO put in new tie-rods -- I'm sure they took a beating trying to keep those wheels straight. He also added 4 Monroe shocks (but I couldn't easily read which ones).

The rear looks to have a stock sway bar based on the earlier photo in this thread and comments.

There looks to be a helper spring in the back -- the owner said they added one to get to 17.5K.

Not exactly the suspension I have on my SpecBoxster :-)

I have ordered a Safe-T Steer control module

https://safe-t-plusonline.com/index....el-41-180.html

and a front sway bar

https://www.etrailer.com/p-RM-1109-1...es+Medium+Duty

I'll start here with addressing my swaying and handling -- and see how it is from there.

Both look to be DIY bolt on projects -- hopefully it all can be done just laying under the rig and working on my bench press :-)

cheers,

Mike

I also ordered the aforementioned JW Speaker LED headlamps to address the driving blind issue :-) I bought them at Headlight Revolution, but as was mentioned Zoro has them on sale --- wish I waited -- but only cost an extra $50 since Zoro charges Texas tax and Headlight Revolution does not.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6649.jpg   IMG_6651.jpg   IMG_6650.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #38

We had to replace our tie rod ends (to Moog) last year and then set the toe-in to 1/4", as recommended for rear-wheel drive trucks. Also replaced the drag link. It drives straight as an arrow now--and we made sure to test in before reinstalling our Safe-T-Plus.

It looks like you got the correct Safe-T-Plus (tan). Did you order the front sway bar for diesel engine or gas? Which do you have? We have the Duramax.

We installed the Hellwig front sway bar and think it works just as well as the more expensive Roadmaster;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

We also upgrade our rear sway bar end links with zerks;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSCE3W

We replaced the rear sway bar bushing with poly;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ALK5O6

Since there were 4 in the kit and only 2 needed you are welcome to other 2.

We installed everything as you mentioned and only suffered from sore shoulders and back for about a week.

P.S. Jayco originally ordered from GM the 15K leaf springs for the C5500 but later realized as many owners did that there was a significant sag. They offered free upgrades to some customers at that time (about 10 years ago now). Ours was upgraded at some point to the replacement 19K springs. We are the third owner's.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
We had to replace our tie rod ends (to Moog) last year and then set the toe-in to 1/4", as recommended for rear-wheel drive trucks. Also replaced the drag link. It drives straight as an arrow now--and we made sure to test in before reinstalling our Safe-T-Plus.

It looks like you got the correct Safe-T-Plus (tan). Did you order the front sway bar for diesel engine or gas? Which do you have? We have the Duramax.
Not sure -- I didn't realize they were different -- I will double check.
I've got the Duramax.

I'll be towing a race trailer -- so I didn't even consider a gas engine.
Fortunately the trailer is all aluminum and even with car and gear should be less than 6K lbs.

Quote:
We also upgrade our rear sway bar end links with zerks;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KSCE3W

We replaced the rear sway bar bushing with poly;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ALK5O6

Since there were 4 in the kit and only 2 needed you are welcome to other 2.
Drop them in the mail and I'll paypal you shipping and a beer!
I'll PM you address.

Quote:

We installed everything as you mentioned and only suffered from sore shoulders and back for about a week.

P.S. Jayco originally ordered from GM the 15K leaf springs for the C5500 but later realized as many owners did that there was a significant sag. They offered free upgrades to some customers at that time (about 10 years ago now). Ours was upgraded at some point to the replacement 19K springs. We are the third owner's.
I was told it had 17.5K -- I'm now the third owner as well. I think the 2nd added them as he was quick to point out it no longer sagged :-)

I'll look at the other upgrades...

thx,

Mike
Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #40

The trip and truck sound awesome. This will come in very handy for your races.

I have to state that I don't know anything about suspensions so take this with a grain of salt and I apologize if this is off track. In looking at the rear sway bar it looks like the connecting rod is not straight up and down but rather mounted at a 45'f angle back, Goflight2 photos showed it with the rod going more vertical. It would seem that a straight up and down configuration is going to force more torsion into the bar, thus reducing the sway. By having the connection on an angle i would think that a lot of torsion would be dispersed in this connection and not applied to the other side. I hope someone who actually knows can point out if this is a concern or not, it also might just be the angle at which the photo was taken. I have been accused of making statements that are 100% wrong before and this might be one of them.

Now I can say the Safe t Plus is a simple install as long as you have a big enough breaker bar to loosen the ubolts. While not designed for anything but keeping the unit going straight in a blow out there are several benefits, takes a lot of that wind buffing out of driving, it is very rare that I feel the big rigs blowing by me. The unit track straight and on the occasions that i get a wheel off the side of road there is no jerking or pulling.

Thanks for sharing your trip, I cant wait for March to get on the road again.