Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Getting new to me Seneca from LA to Austin

Any recommendations for getting a new to me Seneca from LA to Austin?

Just bought a 2008 and need to have it transported.

I know about UShip -- looking for possible alternatives.

thanks,

Mike
lonestarrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

We bought ours just 2 years ago from the second owner based in IL and they graciously agreed to meet us in CO. We then drove it home, 18 hours.

Our previous motorhome was based in PA and we flew there and drove it home in 5 days to AZ.

Our first motorhome was based 30 minutes from home.

How much would you be willing to pay for a driver to pick it up and drive it to you?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

If time allows I would fly to LA pick it up and turn it into a vacation on the way home. Be careful with UShip, many nightmare reviews on the net.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
If time allows I would fly to LA pick it up and turn it into a vacation on the way home. Be careful with UShip, many nightmare reviews on the net.
Normally I don’t have time to drive across town to pick up something... but in quite an anomaly, I’ve got a free weekend, so I booked a flight to LAX and will be picking it up and driving back.

Not a sightseeing trip however as it will just be me.

Hope it’s got a satellite radio or Bluetooth for some tunes :-)

Mike
Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarrpm View Post

Mike
Late 80's I drove from Dallas to New Mexico a few times. Out West, you'd hit the "scan" button on the radio and watch the dial just spin and spin looking for a station that wasn't coming.

Only thing to do was to step on the gas and get it up to 100, 110mph and get thru it faster.

Car, that is, not a Seneca!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Late 80's I drove from Dallas to New Mexico a few times. Out West, you'd hit the "scan" button on the radio and watch the dial just spin and spin looking for a station that wasn't coming.

Only thing to do was to step on the gas and get it up to 100, 110mph and get thru it faster.

Car, that is, not a Seneca!
Skip ahead a few decades and I had a conference call with Asia driving back along 64 from Raton to Clayton -- and there was still no tunes :-)

Mike
Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Beautiful Ride

Drove our 2014 37FS from Kingman, AZ to Carencro, LA in three days.

Day one Kingman, AZ to Albuquerque, NM solo.
Day Two ABQ to DFW with a buddy.
Day Three DFW to Carencro, LA solo.

Best trip ever! I'd do it agin in a minute.....

Terry
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Normally I don’t have time to drive across town to pick up something... but in quite an anomaly, I’ve got a free weekend, so I booked a flight to LAX and will be picking it up and driving back.

Not a sightseeing trip however as it will just be me.

Mike
So my 17yr old high school senior daughter get's wind of the trip to bring the Seneca home and she's all "can I go?"

So my 20+ hour 2 day hard core grind has turned into a little adventure.

So now the two of us are flying out first thing Saturday to LAX.
She's got a high school friend at USC -- so while I'm inspecting and checking out the RV they'll be touring the school. Then we'll meet back up and adventure our way back home.

Plan is to drive through Vegas to see the strip (she's never been), park for the night at Circus Circus (cause we can), hit Pepermills Lounge for breakfast (to die for!).

Then detour to Hoover dam on our way to the Grand Canyon -- eventually stopping in ABQ. We'll play hookey on Monday and visit Texas Tech (one of her college accepts) and then head back to Austin.

I'm sure we could have spent many more days but we both have obligations :-)

Who new this would become a spontaneous Daddy/Daughter boondoggle.

Of course that changes the dynamics of where and how we overnight -- but I'll gladly trade that for the company, memories, and stories.

Mike
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #9

We always prefer to have family along when traveling to pickup another RV.

Have a great trip!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #10

Its great to hear how your adventure has progressed, those will be some great memories for you and your daughter. Have a fun safe road trip. We will all be waiting for some pictures.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Of course that changes the dynamics of where and how we overnight -- but I'll gladly trade that for the company, memories, and stories.

Mike

That's really, really great!
Take pictures, make memories!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

Time for an excellent adventure. Unplanned can be the best kind of trips. Hope the unit works out as it sounds like a fun time. Safe travels and welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #13

Great trip

That does sound like a fun road trip. If you get plenty of water on board you can have those with smaller bladders use the toilet while going down the road. Also, you can take showers anywhere.

You will make lots of memories and can see how easy it will be to visit her at those various colleges.

"Somebody's gotta drive that tractor home." ~ Jack Cruise
Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 AM   #14

Congratulations! If part of your trip is to stop by the Grand Canyon, then you'll be passing near Williams, Az. Wife, myself, and several friends are camping in Williams in a couple of weeks to visit the Canyon, also. I highly recommend a stop in Williams- a cool Route 66 town. Nice campgrounds for big RV's in Williams, but the KOA on the highway between Williams and the Canyon is pretty small and isolated. I believe there is another KOA in Williams, but it's seasonal. The micro-brewery in Williams has excellent Italian food, and I highly recommend it. Can't wait to get our '08 35GS Seneca out there. If most of your equipment on your coach is original stock, I recommend the JWSpeaker LED headlight upgrade. Pricey, but well worth it. Info. on it is in the "First Generation Seneca" forum, on this site! Just upgraded my in dash stereo system to a Pioneer CD stereo; found that the speakers in the front doors were blown, so upgraded them to Cerwin-Vega; did the headlight upgrade (wife's Christmas gift from me- she always gets the best gifts!); and, I upgraded the entertainment system DVD to Blue Ray (won't hook-up to surround sound speakers, though). I recommend the lock-arms for the slide-outs when they're set in, and don't let the upper half of the rearview mirrors annoy you. I use almost exclusively, the bottom mirrors. Retirement is completely underrated... Happy Trails!!!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:03 AM   #15

Oh, and one more thing. YouTube "Havasupai Falls". It's off the highway between the Grand Canyon, and Williams, Az. It's a place that requires planning; permission must be obtained due to it being on Native Indian land; and maybe a little bit of training since it can only be reached via an approximately 10 mile hike. But in spite of this, when you see video of it, you'll probably want to visit at least once in your lifetime!!! Happy Trails.
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmsNMar View Post
Oh, and one more thing. YouTube "Havasupai Falls". It's off the highway between the Grand Canyon, and Williams, Az. It's a place that requires planning; permission must be obtained due to it being on Native Indian land; and maybe a little bit of training since it can only be reached via an approximately 10 mile hike. But in spite of this, when you see video of it, you'll probably want to visit at least once in your lifetime!!! Happy Trails.
Thank you
I had read your upgrades and will definitely be doing the headlights if they aren’t done already.

We have to be back in Austin by Monday night, so it will be a very wuick trip. Mostly blow and go, so might not have time to do more than see the sights.

Mike
Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 AM   #17

Great flight
Picked up RV

Got a very detailed tour and thorough explanation of everything about the RV. PO was a standup guy, class act for sure. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

Sky the owners dog was going to Chaufer me back to Austin as he was apparently not consulted about the sale!

Our first meal breaking in the coach :-)
Hopefully we pick fiber dining next time!

Made it from LA to Vegas ... some stiff wind coming up over the hills. Aside from that the rig did great.

Takes some getting used to... but I have 2 more days of practice coming up. Probably more like on the job training :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
551B4C7D-4797-4DBD-9D69-65501746CBA8.jpg   C3FF1A60-F2AB-4339-8118-26791242A549.jpg   5074B8FE-485A-461E-89D3-21276A5455D1.jpg  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #18

Congratulations...the first adventure story is in the books!
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #19

What a trip and what memories you are making. Your daughter will really appreciate the good fun down the road. By the way, that probably was fine dinning to a high school-er. LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #20

Your Seneca looks like it’s in perfect shape. Nice photo.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote