Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

GFI won't test/reset

i was running off generator/battery last weekend and attempted to re-level my BigFoot system. everything was working...coffee pot brewing, crock pot going, furnace...then i pushed the button to re-level and everything stopped working! i reset every breaker and checked every fuse in the powerbox at the foot of the bed. also reset the breaker on the generator. still nothing. I also noticed that the GFI in the bathroom would not test/reset. what am i missing? is there a secret ruse/breaker i don't know about.

when i plug into shore-power everything works!! I'm not good at electrical problems, so looking for some experts to chime in. Thanks.
jeffschropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #2

Sounds like your generator is not working, is it an inverter or regular one?the camper must be fine if it works on shore power ,Turn the generator on and try to plug an appliance in to see if it works, inverter generator needs to be restarted after an overload, resetting the breaker won't correct it
Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

Sounds like the transfer switch to me The generator has to be running smooth before it will switch over . In the cold mine will take up to 3 to 5 mitutes
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

hi chata - i have an Onan generator and an inverter. it was my understanding that the generator should charge the batteries, and the inverter takes battery power and converts it to the camper outlets. today, we are camping again and plugged into shore power. everything is working now, including the TV. before i plugged-in to shore power, i tried the batteries again. i parked, turned off engine, reset the generator breaker, turned on battery disconnect (lights came on), leveled the coach, bumped out, started generator, turned on inverter, and only one outlet (behind passenger seat) will work. furnace turned on and got hot (generated heat), but TV would not come on and all other outlets were dead. turned-off the generator. plugged-in to shore power and now all outlets are working and tv is working. I'm not sure how to reset the inverter?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #5

hi moonraker - how does the transfer switch work? does it automatically kick-in, or is there a "switch"? also wondering, does the inverter need to be on when the generator is running? or only if i am running on battery (w/o generator)?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

The inverter only powers the plug at your main tv area . No other plugs will have power unless the generator is running The transfer switch is automatic
Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 AM   #7

thanks moonraker. so the one plug that works must be the inverter plug! good to know. the generator was running and the other plugs were still dead. the generator must not be "connected" i ran it for 15-20 minutes. i was wondering if when i was cycling the generator circuit breaker, maybe i was going from off-on-off. i will try just flipping in one time (maybe it was off to start with?).
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #8

Towards you is on facing the generator
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #9

FYI, some tripped GFIs won't reset without power to them.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #10

thanks Don. When i'm plugged into shore power, GFI works. when i unplug from shore power, it doesn't.

Generator is running, but i don't think it is charging or not connected to batteries??
Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Chata mentioned that the generator might not be working. Did you actually check for output at the generator to see if it's working when running? If it is working, I'd say either the transfer switch or a bad connection somewhere.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

The inverter only powers one plug and that's the one above the passenger hooked to the TV. The inverter's job is to convert 12VDC to 115VAC to power that one outlet. If you're hooked to shore power or the generator is running, the inverter shouldn't be doing anything except passing the 115VAC from the generator or shore power through it to that single outlet. If all of your other plugs are dead are dead when the generator is running and not hooked to shore power, you're not getting power from your generator. You've got a generator that's not putting out or your Automatic Transfer Switch isn't working. The one thing I haven't located yet is the ATS. I need to find that and get back to you. You can measure power at the ATS to see if the generator is putting out.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 AM   #13

Thanks SmokerBill. I'm gonna have access to some test equipment this weekend and check the generator output.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:21 AM   #14

Thanks Don. someone also mentioned the breaker at the generator. i have no idea where the ATS is. I will re-read the manual.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #15

Unfortunately the manual won't show the location of your ATS. The manual is generic so you have to go on a fishing expedition.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #16

thank you to all who replied and the FORUM. when i checked the generator breaker it was OFF. i flipped in on (towards me) and everything is working perfectly!!!!! Mystery solved.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #17

I'm having the same issue; shore power everything works, start generator it runs but only lights and front tv works have checked almost every fuse that we can find; there is a off/on switch in the bathroom that we don't have any idea what it does can anyone advise? Oh we have a 2008 30 ft class c
SusanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #18

Susan -- my problem was the breaker from the generator to the RV. there was a circuit breaker on the generator that I did not know about and it was OFF. Once i flipped it ot ON, then everything worked. I would suggest looking for the breaker on the generator.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #19

thanks Jeff -- been there done that but really appreciate any input. Take care.
SusanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #20

Susan Get a multi meter and start taking voltage readings that is the best way to see where or where not you are getting voltage.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, gfi, power