Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #21

Hi Wyn,

I was able to make the swap to the Suburban myself. Total cost was just under $500. The hardest part was running the 120VAC for the electric heater but even that wasn't too bad.

Pics here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...lbums1132.html

Hope this helps,

James

jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #22

Does Jayco no longer swap out the Girard under warranty? It required several calls from our dealer and one from me, but they finally agreed to replace ours this past spring.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #23

I've heard in some cases Jayco will pay for a swap. I have zero confidence in my Jayco dealer and their service department however. I've seen what they can do... Worth it for me to do it myself.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #24

I learned something new today - I plunked an inexpensive Camco pressure reducer on (for the first time) and we had bad temperature fluctuations while showering!

I pulled the pressure regulator off, and our Gen II Girard went back to working fine.

Makes me wonder how many folks who have problems with their Girard might be having low pressure problems?

I know there's not too many of us, but so far, I'm in the "I like it" camp for the Girard water heaters.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 AM   #25

Mine works but it is too hot for me. Still trying to figure it out. Got Therm set at 110 and it runs from 116 to 120. I'm trying to find info on outside adjustments. When I try to turn any cold on, heater turns off. Seems like plenty of water flow though. WAY more than my previous travel trailer.

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #26
WDW

I'm with you on the pressure regulator. I came to the same conclusion also if you double filter, one at the hose and the built I filter there can be issues. I've stopped using the hose in line filter too.

PS- we liked it so much on out Greyhawk that we had one installed on our new Coachmen.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 AM   #27

We do not use a regulator or outside filter they caused too much temperature fluctuation if you try to use them . With out them we can add cold water slowly to adjust the temperature most of the time. The shower head has the water restriction removed also . Best not to turn off the water while showering , just be quick if you don't have full hook up .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #28

Altitude can affect gas appliances with sufficient change in altitude and may require adjustment (it says so in some of my appliance owner's manuals). Start in Houston where the altitude is sea level or below and drive to 7000 feet and you may have a problem. Go from Denver at 5000 ft to 7000 ft not so much.

Really prefer the gas/electric WH. Only wish that it was the 10 gal. If I get another rig the WH is a show stopper.

2015 Jayco Seneca 36 FK
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited tow
2010 Tiffin RED 36 QSA - gone
2011 Monaco Monarch class A - gone
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
mReally prefer the gas/electric WH. Only wish that it was the 10 gal. If I get another rig the WH is a show stopper.
The best thing I did in my Seneca was to replace the tankless with a 10-gallon Atwood XT. Did require cutting a larger opening but overall it wasn't that bad of an install. May not fit in a smaller unit, but plenty of room in mine. I love using campground power to heat water compared to always burning my propane. And even with 5 of us showering here I have yet to run out of hot water.

I also have a 2 gallon accumulator in my system, so even on the pump/tank I can have just a trickle of hot water flowing without any pulsation or temperature fluctuations. And not a bit of "fussing" to make that happen.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to alvinator Send a message via MSN to alvinator
We have a Gen 3.The nice folks at Jayco advised us to just adjust the temp to our liking and do not turn on the cold water at all. So we set the thermostat at 105 degrees and it works great.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV w/M&G Compressor
2013 Jeep Wrangler w/M&G Brake
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote