Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #1

Talking Girard Tankless Water Heater

I just wanted to pass along my experience. I had previously had the Girard Tankless Water heater that was original equipment in my 2016 Grayhawk 29MV . Unfortunately I froze up the whole rig and the water heater was just one of the items I had to replace. I decided to go with the Girard 3rd Generation although many people suggested other products as well as a tank water heater. I just got caught in Wyoming with night time temps in the mid twenties and no way to get my MH inside or otherwise protect it. The Girard 3 states that it has a freeze protection mode that will operate anytime the temperature falls below 38 degree and will heat and recycle to prevent freezing if there is battery power and propane. This was my only option and I simply hoped it would work. I am so pleased to report that it worked like a charm. I ran a space heater inside the coach and had the tank heaters on, and nothing froze up and broke. Not only did I encounter low temps for one night I had freezing temps as I traveled south. One day did not get above 40 and my MH suffered no damage.

I'm not recommending that everyone try this, but it is good news if you get caught and have no real other alternatives.
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

That's good to hear. Our gen 2 girard is still kicking. And we've come to like it. Quirks and all. We'll probably replace it with another tankless if it dies.

How was the replacement? Did it slide it pretty easily?
Where did you mount the new controller?

thanks
Old 10-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

It fit perfectly but you do have to buy a new door which isnt included. We put the controller below the refrig on that wall. It looks nice and I really like to be able to see it. I can tell when it turns on, what temp the water is at, etc. We just left the old controller on the wall in the bathroom. Its nonfunctional but there's no hole.
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote