Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Go Power

This may have already been covered and if someone knows where to find the info I will gladly go there, but here is the issue.

I own a 2019 Jayco Redhawk 22J. It is prewired for solar (solar prep). The MH has the connector on the roof, but the wires lead to a plastic cover (labeled solar prep) on the passenger side inside one of the compartments. Took the cover off and it was two wires. This is all I have found of the solar prep. All I wish to do is keep the house battery charged.

I bought a Go Power solar kit recommended by the dealer. I have an idea of how I want to run the wires but wanted to see if there was something I am missing before i start drilling holes.

Thanks for any and all help.
NMDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
MD3

I mounted a GO Power controller in metal surface mount box in my storage bay. The two wires there will connect to the control box. I then ran wires from the control box to the RV house batteries (bank 1) and then another set of wires to the chassis batteries (bank 2). The Go Power controller is setup to charge bank 1 and when it is full then switch to charge bank 2. Keeps all the batteries topped off. I used the wire from the Go Power kit for the controller to the batteries since it is extra as all your wire is already run from the storage compartment to the roof.

The roof has a quick connector that the panel or panels can plug into.

Super easy install and now my batteries stay charged, both RV house and chassis.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

Hey MD3,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the idea. That sounds like what I will do. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDawg View Post
Hey MD3,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the idea. That sounds like what I will do. Thanks again.
How did you net out? I'm looking to do the same thing on my 22J, would be great to know what kit you used and how you ended up setting it up.
ChrisM23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

Hey ChrisM23,

I pretty much did like MD3 but didn’t hook up the chassis battery. As it is getting late here I will post some pictures of what I did and what kit I used tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

That would be a huge help, thank you.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
MD3

I installed this box in the storage compartment where the factory Solar prep wires were located :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then bought these two kits :
and this :

I used the wires that came in the kit to wire in the Freightliner chassis batteries on "Bank B". It works great and auto switches to charge the chassis batteries after the house batteries are full.

_
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 09-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

Here some pictures of my install. I have had this for over a year and no issues. I make sure and clean the solar panel once a month and check battery water levels at the same time. Most difficult portion I thought was running the cables through existing and new wire looms (the black plastic cable covers you get at the auto parts store). But working it I got it and all of the cables are protected.

As you can see I got creative with a household electrical box. Drilled a hole on the back side of the compartment to run cables from the controller to the battery. Used silicone to make water tight. If you have any questions on my setup let me know. I’ll be happy to help.Click image for larger version

Name:	20E5C050-71E8-4186-983A-9DAC7E9A62D8.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	63568

Click image for larger version

Name:	B228EA1C-EACA-4C20-9BF5-0DA11C224A26.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	63569

Name:	D0A8B4C8-A0C0-4757-BB14-E8AF00EB8A1D.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	63570

Name:	82F14B66-9674-4984-9691-92B1B9AF99F8.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	63571

Name:	8F32FA3F-8DB1-42B3-AFCB-88EC02A45B08.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	63572
Old 09-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #9

Thanks to both of you! I have a few questions:

You have the controller installed in the storage bay, any concerns you can think of if I wanted to run the solar prep wires through the wall and mount the controller inside instead? Do you find you need to access the controller often?

How hard was it to get the wires up front after you drilled in through the storage bay? If I remember right (still waiting to pick up the rig) the bay with storage prep is towards the back of the rig but the battery is under the stairs at the front.

Did either of you install an inverter? If so, where did you put that? If not, wondering if you had considered it and had any ideas for where that could go, since I know it needs to go close to the battery. Mine has a second battery so I'm not sure there's room under the stairs for an inverter.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #10

Two concerns I had...

One... I would have to splice the wires coming from the panel connector on the roof. They terminate in the storage compartment where I placed the controller.

Second... I originally wanted to place the controller inside on the bulkhead the has the awning control (and others). But after looking at it for a while I could see an easy way to do that. It looked to me as though I had to drill through the floor behind the drawers to run wires. Also there is a second bulkhead (wall) between the drawers and the outside bulkhead the has the controls on it. So I decided to place the solar controller where I did.

I don’t access the controller very often. Once a month, maybe. No problems so far with heat or cold. Stays clean.

As far as running the wires, it was a bit of chore but I tried to use existing wire loom and where I couldn’t I used new. I also tried to run with existing wires and in places where I could get wire ties on to secure them. Took a bit of work but it is very doable.

As for me I didn’t use an inverter with this install. My setup is just a trickle charger.

Anything else let me know.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM23 View Post
Thanks to both of you! I have a few questions:

You have the controller installed in the storage bay, any concerns you can think of if I wanted to run the solar prep wires through the wall and mount the controller inside instead? Do you find you need to access the controller often?

How hard was it to get the wires up front after you drilled in through the storage bay? If I remember right (still waiting to pick up the rig) the bay with storage prep is towards the back of the rig but the battery is under the stairs at the front.

Did either of you install an inverter? If so, where did you put that? If not, wondering if you had considered it and had any ideas for where that could go, since I know it needs to go close to the battery. Mine has a second battery so I'm not sure there's room under the stairs for an inverter.
My Seneca came with the inverter and solar prep package. Made it super easy for wiring. My batteries are right next to the controller. The chassis batteries are 6' forward and I just ran the wires around the storage bay along the frame rails.
My inverter is in the same compartment as the controller box where the factory solar prep wires ended - factory installed.
I don't really need access to the controller box. The only time I look at it is for fun, it does it's own thing with no further input from me.

_
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 09-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDawg View Post
Two concerns I had...

One... I would have to splice the wires coming from the panel connector on the roof. They terminate in the storage compartment where I placed the controller.

Second... I originally wanted to place the controller inside on the bulkhead the has the awning control (and others). But after looking at it for a while I could see an easy way to do that. It looked to me as though I had to drill through the floor behind the drawers to run wires. Also there is a second bulkhead (wall) between the drawers and the outside bulkhead the has the controls on it. So I decided to place the solar controller where I did.

I don’t access the controller very often. Once a month, maybe. No problems so far with heat or cold. Stays clean.

As far as running the wires, it was a bit of chore but I tried to use existing wire loom and where I couldn’t I used new. I also tried to run with existing wires and in places where I could get wire ties on to secure them. Took a bit of work but it is very doable.

As for me I didn’t use an inverter with this install. My setup is just a trickle charger.

Anything else let me know.
This makes sense, didn't realize the wires ended there. I'd rather not splice if I can avoid it so I'll use the same spot. Question - where did the wires come out on the other side of the storage compartment wall?