Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Going to weigh my rig tomorrow

So I'm preparing for my trip to Disney in a few weeks, I thought for a ride this long it'd be a good time to weigh my rig. My buddy is coming by to help me replace the stock cab Ford speakers w/ better aftermarkets. He's going to bring him son along w/ him.

I have ~2100 pounds of cargo available to me as my rig was built off the line with full gas and propane (which I have as of today).

Now, my entire family won't be in the rig, food won't be in the rig, etc. But our dry goods and gear 'is' in the rig. What I'm going to do to approximate a full load for this weigh in is as follows:

1. I'll be in the driver seat per normal
2. Buddy's son will be in the passenger seat approximating my wife
3. My buddy will stand at the sink, which is right in between all my cabinetry and the fridge. He will essentiall be all the 'food' ~200 pounds
4. I will put 2 60lb dumbells under the dinette. Those are DD1 and DD2.
5. I will put a week's worth of laundry (in various black bags) and fill the armoire /drawers / overhead stroage above the bed. That's our clothes for a week.

I usually travel w/ 1/3 of a tank of freshwater, no way to duplicate that as its still too cold to bother with it. My freshwater tank is right above the rear axle and at 1/3 full I'm not talking a lot of weight anyway.

I'm taking it to a Love's truck stop, so I won't have individual corner weights. Depending on the weigh pad, this is what I intend to do.

A. Weigh the rig normally to get my axle weights
B. Reposition the rig so that one side of my rig is on the weigh pads and the other side is on the normal parking lot. This theoretically should get me one side of my rig.
C. Subtract B from A, that should get me the other side of my rig.

Think my side weighing idea is a good idea?

Also for my side to side weigh idea I'm wondering if I should put only the foremost tires on the parking lot asphalt (thus have most of the rig on the weigh pads save the far-most tires) or if I should park my rig so that the center of my rig (lengthwise) sits right on top of the line where the weigh pads are and the asphalt parking lot is.

What do you guys think?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

I found my 2017 Melbourne 24K weighed 600# more than it's empty weight was supposed to be.
But you are really doing it right--see what the gross will be.

BullDozerBob
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

That would REALLY annoy/upset me as there isn't much weight capacity in a Melbourne to begin with.

Well we'll see where I'm at.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I'm taking it to a Love's truck stop, so I won't have individual corner weights. Depending on the weigh pad, this is what I intend to do.

A. Weigh the rig normally to get my axle weights
B. Reposition the rig so that one side of my rig is on the weigh pads and the other side is on the normal parking lot. This theoretically should get me one side of my rig.
C. Subtract B from A, that should get me the other side of my rig.

Think my side weighing idea is a good idea?

Also for my side to side weigh idea I'm wondering if I should put only the foremost tires on the parking lot asphalt (thus have most of the rig on the weigh pads save the far-most tires) or if I should park my rig so that the center of my rig (lengthwise) sits right on top of the line where the weigh pads are and the asphalt parking lot is.

What do you guys think?
Most of the truck scales nowdays have a railing along the side that prevents you from having any of the tires off the scale. I'm suggesting that getting each axle weight is how these scales are designed, if you want individual wheel weights... find a scale that will do that, or look for someone with portables.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

If that's the case I suppose it is what it is. I weighed my F150 at this place a few years ago; I don't recall there being railings but its been a long time.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So I'm preparing for my trip to Disney in a few weeks,

4. I will put 2 60lb dumbells under the dinette. Those are DD1 and DD2.

What do you guys think?
Loi, I thought that was soo funny, you need to show us a picture of those Angels but you can leave out your 200 lb.for food buddy.

Oh, enjoy that great trip you have planned.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #7

Well I called ahead to verify I could weigh in tomorrow. I also asked about weighing 1/2 my rig on the scale and half off. I was advised that the scale would toss a error code due to unbalanced weight, so that idea is off.

I DO have the corner weights from my rig as it rolled off the line. So I can grab the percentages from one side to the other and extrapolate roughly where I am. Looking at the numbers for instance, the back side of the camper where I have the Armoir and all the drawers is less weight by 132 pounds when compared to the other side w/ the queen slide out. Works out well since that's the side that gets most of the gear put on it. And while 132 pounds isn't a ton, I'm pretty sure I don't have 300-400 pounds of weight on the side just taking into account clothes, my Weber Q, and my screen house.

I bet I'm pretty even side to side in the back.

Front side to side I'm 204 pounds lighter on the driver side. That's good too b/c I'm heavier then DW, and my kids sit on the lighter side as well. We also stake the bottled water cases on that side.

I bet I'm not quite as even there, but I bet I'm not far off.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #8

Well here are my numbers as weighed w/ the above allowances:

Front Axle: 4840 - 160 pounds left over
Rear Axle: 9300 - 300 pounds left over

Gross: 14140

So, I have less available CCC then I thought I would, but I'm still under my max weight. I suppose I should consider myself happy given the amount of C's out there that are overloaded. I thought my 2100 pounds of CCC would net me a little more in the way of leftover room, but I suppose not. Or maybe I overcompensated w/ my subsitute weights above, not really sure. I like to think I er'd on the side of caution. For instance my buddy's son is actually around 200 pounds, so that's 75 pounds less w/ my wife in the front seat.

I just noticed that my axles combined would allow 14600 pounds of weight, but the unit is rated for 14500 pounds. Anybody know why?

At any rate I feel a lot more comfortable heading down to Disney in 2 weeks.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

So my estimated weigh was awfully close. I stopped at the scales on the way to Disney 2 days ago. Fully loaded to go I gave back 100 pounds on the steer axle took an extra 120 on the drive axle. Net gain 20 pounds, still within my GAWR's and GVWR. Felt good going down the road knowing I was 'good'.