Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #21

Spark

I’m towing a Chevy Spark

Least expensive flat towable vehicle on the market

Don’t even know it’s behind the MH
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #22

2013 RAM 1500 has OEM transfer case disconnect. Installed M&G Engineering auxiliary brake system. Super simple to hookup and disconnect. Carry bikes, firewood and two 20# propane tanks in truck bed. Weighs just under 7k lbs.
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #23

Tow Vehicle

We tow a 2015, 6 speed standard transmission, Toyota Corolla behind our 2017 Redhawk. Plenty of extra storage in trunk and back seat since there are just the two of us when we need to drive the car.
Barbara20112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #24

Atlee I believe the 2020 Fusion hybrid is on the Good Sam Dinghy list.
Osogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #25

Older crv

We tow a 2014 Honda CRV. The newer ones can’t be flat towed but there is good used inventory with low mileage on the older models.
RVcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Thinking about good vehicles to tow behind my Redhawk 22J. Beginning to think about a TOAD.

Currently have a F150 4x4 truck that used to be my toe vehicle before selling the trailer. It can be towed 4 down, but it large. 21 feet long and weighs nearly 6,000#.

Also have a 2018 Ford Fusion. Nice car, but it can't be towed 4 down. Thinking of moving from the Fusion to a smaller car, preferably a hitch/station style that is towable 4 down. Any suggestions that wouldn't break the bank.
I have a 19 Redhawk 25R. I fought with same question you did after ditching my dolly of 4 years of towing with it and gave my Kia Soul to my daughter.

To me the lighter the better in every aspect of RVing, Period! I settled on a 2014 CRV 2WD. It’s 3,300 lbs and I put an extra 400lbs in it at times and installed rear sumo springs in the CRV to help with the extra loads.

Since we are smi-full timers, RVing 6 months a year, and going down to only one car, I wanted near new condition, so It took me 8 months to find one in near new condition with very low mileage, leather and GPS screen. We spent around $18K, But you didn’t express a budget. Why a CRV? Because my mechanic said “if everyone owned a CRV he’d be out of business”!

I also seriously consider the Jeep Cherokee trail hawk, but didn’t want to deal with the extra installation of a wiring system to prevent the death wobble and I also considered the Ford Flex, it was light for its size, seats 7, but wife didn’t like it!

Good luck and travel light!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #27

2013 Subaru Impreza

We thought we were going to tow our 2014 F150 but the last time we saw a Seneca towing a red F150 like ours, the Ford was on fire and burned down to the frame with major heat damage to the Seneca. It was a sign.

I had an aging 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX with rust issues that we traded that in for a 2013 Impreza hatchback. 2013 was that last year that Subaru published that their vehicles were towable.

We know more when we tow it the first time on our next voyage, but what I've heard so far is reassuring.
pokergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #28

Ford Escape Hybrid! 42 mpg so it helps with the large carbon footprint of the motor home.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Thinking about good vehicles to tow behind my Redhawk 22J. Beginning to think about a TOAD.

Currently have a F150 4x4 truck that used to be my toe vehicle before selling the trailer. It can be towed 4 down, but it large. 21 feet long and weighs nearly 6,000#.

Also have a 2018 Ford Fusion. Nice car, but it can't be towed 4 down. Thinking of moving from the Fusion to a smaller car, preferably a hitch/station style that is towable 4 down. Any suggestions that wouldn't break the bank.
I went with a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Sport-FWD. I needed a new car for everyday use and didn't want to just buy a toad to pull. I've been happy with the car itself and towing four down has been easy.
belisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #30

I tow a 2018 Honda Fit Sport 6 speed behind 2019 Vision 31v. Curb weight is under 2600 pounds. Can't even tell it's there. I really like it. It wasn't too difficult mounting the base plate. For towing lights I removed the rear stop/turn light housings and modified them to accept an aftermarket twist in bulb socket mount, can't even tell I modified it. Also installed a battery tender that's powered by the motorhome so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery going dead.
OldManKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #31

Sold quite a few FIAT 500's with a standard tranny as a flat tow. FYI...the mileage does not accumulate as you flat tow so you preserve your warranty. Also....FCA offers a lifetime warranty for not a lot of money. Got it for our Jeep Cherokee which now has 150K on it. Great investment as any car with this type of mileage will need attention.
RL Hevner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #32

Have you looked at the Chevy Equinox?
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #33

Ford Escape Hybrid

Simple to put in tow mode. Hardly know it’s back there
DaveNEOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford Fl camper View Post
I’m towing a Chevy Spark

Least expensive flat towable vehicle on the market

Don’t even know it’s behind the MH
Sanford - Can you tell me more? Year? Trim level? Automatic? FWD/AWD etc?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #35

Car trailer large enough to haul what you want!
1946 Modernistic Teardrop Camper (10ft body, restored)
Hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #36

Ford Fiesta Hatchback

We tow a 2017 Ford Fiesta Hatchback and we love it. Weighs about 2400 lbs. surprisingly roomy for such a small car. We thought we’d only drive it while on trips but it’s so much fun to drive and easy to park anywhere. We bought it new in 2017 and have 30,000 miles on it now and no, the miles being towed do not register. Both the 5 speed and automatic are towable 4 down. We bought the straight shift because one less step in setting it up to tow and, the straight is so much fun to drive..

Quote:
Thanks all for the various suggestions.

Any toad I do get will need to be pretty late model since it is going to replace my 2018 Fusion as my wife's every day driver car. This also means it must be automatic.

I'll look into each of the suggested vehicles, just using later model instead of the older models.

And yes, I always read the owners manual to determine which models are flat towable. I never trust a salesman.

The simplest thing, and less costly way to go, would be to just get a tow dolly with surge brakes, but I suspect I would get tired of loading and unloading the dolly during my next proposed trip up thru Lower and upper Michigan, across northern Wisconsin, Minnesota to Teddy Roosevelt NP in ND and the drop down for a revisit to Yellowstone and the grand Tetons.
RobertLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #37

Assuming new as a replacement rather than used. While the Equinox is on my short list, leaning towards the Ford Escape Hybrid. Like your Ford Fusion, it MUST be the Hybrid version to be 4 down towable as all other engine/transmission versions are not.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #38

we tow a 2016 Fiat 500 - small & lightweight but just the two of us.
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #39

We flat tow a 2013 Ford Focus, standard transmission. Owners manual says "To flat tow, put the transmission in neutral and release the parking brake." That's it. No modifications, added gadgets, real simple, works good.
8ballldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #40

I’ve towed an older Pilot and we currently tow a 2014 CRV with our Seneca. I drive a 2018 F150 and didn’t even realize it could be towed. Didn’t think about it. Weight wise the F150 falls between the CRV and the pilot. Maybe I should sell the CRV and tow the pickup. Selling the pickup isn’t an option. It would be quite a bit longer than I’m used to. Any opinions?
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote