Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My 2014 Explorer Sport turned 100K and my Ford extended warranty was ending, so I decided to upgrade. The Explorer gave us good service and towed very well behind the Seneca. Decided on a 2019 Ford Edge ST, picked it up last week. It has a 2.7L twin turbo V-6 Ecoboost, it motivates very well! Maybe a little quicker than the old Sport which was no slouch itself. Plus the ST has all the latest safety doodads, it practically can drive itself!

Finished installing the Blue Ox baseplate kit today, it went very smoothly Hardest part was drilling the bumper support to install a couple of 1/2" bolts. That steel is hard! All other drilling was easy comparatively. The kit is very well designed and fit like a glove.

Found an easy place in the firewall to bring in power and the breakaway wiring for the EvenBrake, have to finish that part and then wire the tail lights tomorrow. Plus I have to paint those bolts that retain the lighting receptacle, they stick out like a sore thumb!

Funniest part of it all is my wife. She has seen it before several times, but she is still amazed that I take apart a perfectly good brand new vehicle and do this to it. She periodically sticks her head out into the garage (after she gets home from work), looks at my progress, then shakes her head and goes back into house.

Congrats Rob! Looks good!!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #22

Toad

Wanted to tow my wife’s Honda. Called my dealer about Blue Ox hutch and base plate. Was quoted $7000. Talked to a local shop got entire set up installed for $1200. So shop around. Having other issues with my dealer as well.
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
Wanted to tow my wife’s Honda. Called my dealer about Blue Ox hutch and base plate. Was quoted $7000. Talked to a local shop got entire set up installed for $1200. So shop around. Having other issues with my dealer as well.
A quote like that means the dealer didn't want to do it. That's just astronomical.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Successful towing test completed, went very well. Don't even have to adjust my hitch drop, towbar is level after installation.

Pre-towing procedure not too difficult, first run car for five minutes to circulate transmission fluid. Shut engine off, set electric parking brake, disengage transmission park mode, release parking brake, lock car, engage battery cutout switch to kill all power. Tow away! Reverse procedure at destination.
Rob R,
Thank for the information. So far I've done step 1....picked up my new Edge ST yesterday.

Time to start collecting the other stuff.

Q. What do you mean by "disengage transmission park mode".
Old 07-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Funniest part of it all is my wife. She has seen it before several times, but she is still amazed that I take apart a perfectly good brand new vehicle and do this to it. She periodically sticks her head out into the garage (after she gets home from work), looks at my progress, then shakes her head and goes back into house.
Should have heard my wife when I started cutting out the openings for the windows on a brand new panel van that I customized in the 70's. To this day she still talks about it.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Rob R,
Thank for the information. So far I've done step 1....picked up my new Edge ST yesterday.

Time to start collecting the other stuff.

Q. What do you mean by "disengage transmission park mode".
Under the dash to the left of the steering column is a small rectangular enclosure. It has a black cover on it that you remove by first taking out a very small Phillips screw. The screw is in the side towards the passenger side of the car. Once the screw is out the cover pops off by sticking your fingernail under the edge.

Inside the enclosure is an orange tether strap hooked to a cable. You pull the tether outward (towards the rear of the car) and then the cable "locks" into a small recess in the lower right corner of the enclosure to hold the cable pulled out. That cable attaches to the transmission and disengages the internal park pawl so the vehicle can be towed. Before pulling and disengaging Park you apply the parking brake to ensure the car doesn't roll.

After towing complete you pull out again on the tether so the cable can disengage from the enclosure then release the tether so that Park is again functional. Stuff the tether back in and replace the cover. It snaps back on, I do not plan to replace the small screw since the covers stays on just fine.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Under the dash to the left of the steering column is a small rectangular enclosure. It has a black cover on it that you remove by first taking out a very small Phillips screw. The screw is in the side towards the passenger side of the car. Once the screw is out the cover pops off by sticking your fingernail under the edge.

Inside the enclosure is an orange tether strap hooked to a cable. You pull the tether outward (towards the rear of the car) and then the cable "locks" into a small recess in the lower right corner of the enclosure to hold the cable pulled out. That cable attaches to the transmission and disengages the internal park pawl so the vehicle can be towed. Before pulling and disengaging Park you apply the parking brake to ensure the car doesn't roll.

After towing complete you pull out again on the tether so the cable can disengage from the enclosure then release the tether so that Park is again functional. Stuff the tether back in and replace the cover. It snaps back on, I do not plan to replace the small screw since the covers stays on just fine.
Thanks, I did read about the teather in the manual. I'm sure i'll pick your brain when I start my project.

What did towing the Edge do to your MPG? I know you have a diesel and i have the E-450.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowCross View Post
Thanks, I did read about the teather in the manual. I'm sure i'll pick your brain when I start my project.

What did towing the Edge do to your MPG? I know you have a diesel and i have the E-450.
I previously had a Chateau Class C built on a Ford E-450. Towing with my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport would knock down my mileage at least 1.5 mpg. That Explorer was what I just traded in for my Edge. Now on my Seneca (diesel) towing the Explorer maybe drops the economy 1 mpg compared to driving without it. We haven't taken any longer trips with the new Edge but it likely will be about the same as the Explorer.

Just a couple more points about the Edge ST. With its electrically-applied/released parking brake, Ford has programmed the system to apply the parking brake whenever it feels it might be necessary. That is the reason the parking brake must be released as one of the last steps before towing and then the battery must be disconnected to keep it off. When the battery is turned back on the parking brake then applies itself.

I installed the Roadmaster battery disconnect system on my Edge to make it super easy to disconnect the battery. But instead of mounting the activation switch inside like the instructions indicate, I mounted a weatherproof switch behind the front grille. That way I can prepare the car for towing, close the driver door, lock the car with the fob, then walk to the front and push the disconnect switch. Then when at destination the first thing I do is hit the switch to turn the battery on so I can use the fob to unlock the door to continue the disconnect process.

I have attached a document I put together from the sections of the Owner's Manual. I found it easier to go through it like this instead of flipping pages. At least until it becomes second nature!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Towing procedures.pdf (201.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #29

I had an inquiry about where I mounted my Roadmaster Even Brake ICX transmitter and a dedicated power outlet for the Even Brake. Both are installed in the small cubby located low on the left side of the dashboard. Somewhat of a tight fit but completely out of sight until I need to access them. I pop off the cubby cover and toss it into the seat. Then I can plug in the ICX cable and the power line to the Even Brake. When done just reverse.

Also installed was a Roadmaster battery cutoff solenoid since the battery must be disconnected to tow. Roadmaster instructions have you place the supplied activation switch inside the cabin. Done that way, once you cut power off and later need to get back into the vehicle (if locked) you would have to get the "emergency" key out of the fob, pop off the lock cover on the door handle, and then use the key. What a pain! So I used a waterproof momentary switch located inconspicuously in the grill. Set car up for towing, close and lock car, go to grill and kill the battery. When at destination hit the switch again to activate battery, unlock car with fob, enter vehicle and make it ready to drive again.

Here are a picture of the installed ICX transmitter and power outlet, and a picture of the battery cutoff switch located in the grille.
Attached Thumbnails
20200615_135426_resized.jpg   Battery cutoff solenoid switch.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #30

And pictures of my Tow Car Shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Cover pic cropped.jpg   Driver side cover coverage.jpg   Passenger side cover coverage.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #31

Nice job Rob!

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #32

Great information Rob! One thing I was wondering about is after disconnecting the battery for hours, what electronics need to be reset. Do the radio, clock, memory seats forget their settings?
ramcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcrest View Post
Great information Rob! One thing I was wondering about is after disconnecting the battery for hours, what electronics need to be reset. Do the radio, clock, memory seats forget their settings?
Everything retains its settings except the Daylight Savings aspect of the clock. I have the clock menu set to automatically sync to GPS time (which it does) but need to move it 1 hour manually when there is a difference due to DST. A small price to pay!
Old 11-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
Maybe the $7K quote included the new toad? LOL
Astronomical and well you should walk away.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #35

Quote:

Finished installing the Blue Ox baseplate kit today
I noticed that you used a Roadmaster tow bar with the Blue Ox baseplate. Is there a reason that you didn't use a Roadmaster baseplate?
ramcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcrest View Post
I noticed that you used a Roadmaster tow bar with the Blue Ox baseplate. Is there a reason that you didn't use a Roadmaster baseplate?
I also have a Ford Focus ST I tow, at the time I set it up Roadmaster did not offer a baseplate for the Focus. So I bought the Blue Ox adapter ends for my towbar which was still in great shape. Then when I replaced my Explorer with my Edge I installed the Blue Ox baseplate on it.

When I do need to replace my towbar I will buy a Blue Ox, but in the meantime everything works well!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #37

Got a new TOAD too!

Also got a 2020 Ford Edge st.
You seem to really know what’s what. Any chance you have a picture of how to pull cable to disengage?
Also we had someone do the whole tow package and battery disconnect they put the disconnect under the hood so same issue as in cabin. Have to get in cabin to release hood.
As long as we don’t lock doors should be fine?
Any other advice?
Thanks. Nervous Nellie
Zulugart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #38

Quote:
I previously had a Chateau Class C built on a Ford E-450. Towing with my 2014 Ford Explorer Sport would knock down my mileage at least 1.5 mpg. That Explorer was what I just traded in for my Edge. Now on my Seneca (diesel) towing the Explorer maybe drops the economy 1 mpg compared to driving without it. We haven't taken any longer trips with the new Edge but it likely will be about the same as the Explorer.

Just a couple more points about the Edge ST. With its electrically-applied/released parking brake, Ford has programmed the system to apply the parking brake whenever it feels it might be necessary. That is the reason the parking brake must be released as one of the last steps before towing and then the battery must be disconnected to keep it off. When the battery is turned back on the parking brake then applies itself.

I installed the Roadmaster battery disconnect system on my Edge to make it super easy to disconnect the battery. But instead of mounting the activation switch inside like the instructions indicate, I mounted a weatherproof switch behind the front grille. That way I can prepare the car for towing, close the driver door, lock the car with the fob, then walk to the front and push the disconnect switch. Then when at destination the first thing I do is hit the switch to turn the battery on so I can use the fob to unlock the door to continue the disconnect process.

I have attached a document I put together from the sections of the Owner's Manual. I found it easier to go through it like this instead of flipping pages. At least until it becomes second nature!
Me again.
I love the pdf you put together. When towing is the knob in neutral it park? Still a little confused by their instructions
Zulugart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulugart View Post
Me again.
I love the pdf you put together. When towing is the knob in neutral it park? Still a little confused by their instructions
Quote:
You seem to really know what’s what. Any chance you have a picture of how to pull cable to disengage?
Also we had someone do the whole tow package and battery disconnect they put the disconnect under the hood so same issue as in cabin. Have to get in cabin to release hood.
Any other advice?
Thanks. Nervous Nellie
When you are preparing to tow the shifter knob stays in the "Park" position throughout. Doing the "Manual Park Release" procedure internally disengages Park and allows the transmission to freewheel for towing.

I have attached some pictures of the Manual Park Release housing and tether. Once the small screw for the cover is removed you pop off the cover with a fingernail. I have never replaced the screw, after towing you stuff the tether back inside and pop the cover back on. It has never come off inadvertently and it would be a huge pain to remove and replace the screw every trip! By the way the screw is in the side of the housing, not in the visible face of the cover.

In the picture I annotated you can see the small ferrule on the cable that must engage in the lower right corner of the housing to disengage the transmission. When you are done towing and need to restore the Edge back to normal you again pull out on the tether and then return the cable to the center so it can return to its normal position. If you are going to "test" this prior to actual towing just make sure you are on a level surface and set the parking brake so it doesn't roll. As the manual warns once you pull out on the tether/cable it will disconnect park and roll if not otherwise secured with the parking brake or wheel chocks. Safety first!
Attached Thumbnails
Manual Park Release with cover on.jpg   Manual Park Release with cover off.jpg   Manual Park Release tether and latching point.jpg  
Old 01-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Any other advice?
Thanks. Nervous Nellie
I forgot to mention about the door locks. I don't see any physical need to lock the doors, that is your preference entirely. But for security I wanted to be able to lock it up so that is why my battery cutoff activation switch is out in my grille.

I get it all set to tow inside, I already have my Tow Car Shield on the car except for that final corner on the left front, reach into the grille and hit the switch, I can hear the solenoid "clunk" and power is off. Then I finish covering that corner of the car and I'm good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
20190829_173530_resized.jpg