Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2024, 01:38 PM   #1

Got to replace Mattress!!!!!

Just spent 7 days/nights in our 24L and everything went well except SLEEPING!! The mattress is terrible and so uncomfortable it made the entire trip miserable.
Has anyone replaced the mattress in a Melbourne 24L and what did you go with. I can find no companies that make a hinged mattress like this.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Motorhome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #2

I am not sure of the exact mattress you have. If it is three sections held together with seams there are several vendors of these on Amazon. I recently purchased a folding mattress in a bed that looks like a cabinet and opens out to a queen. The mattress was a memory foam mattress that sleeps rather well.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I am not sure of the exact mattress you have. If it is three sections held together with seams there are several vendors of these on Amazon. I recently purchased a folding mattress in a bed that looks like a cabinet and opens out to a queen. The mattress was a memory foam mattress that sleeps rather well.
Mine is in 2 sections. the bottom 1/3 folds up to allow the slide to come in and is about 3" thicker than the rest of the mattress to allow for the drop from top of bed to frame to compansate for roller height.

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #4

Unfortunately without knowing what your body type is, what your sleep habits are and how firm or soft you like a mattress thereís no way to answer your question with solid advice. You will get answers all over the board and possibly go down a long road of going through numerous bad mattresses. Iíve been there.

You definitely need to share at least what level of firmness you prefer. The best thing my wife and I did was go spend some time at a Sleep Number store and found out what our sleep number is. This goes a long way when you walk into another mattress store. Most sales staff are familiar with a sleep number number.

I will say if you like a plush bed r fairly soft mattress stay away from foam mattresses. In terms of firmness numbers they are generally going to be well north of 50 which for me is rock hard.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:27 PM   #5

Replacement mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome2 View Post
Just spent 7 days/nights in our 24L and everything went well except SLEEPING!! The mattress is terrible and so uncomfortable it made the entire trip miserable.
Has anyone replaced the mattress in a Melbourne 24L and what did you go with. I can find no companies that make a hinged mattress like this.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
We just replaced the mattress in our 2016 Redhawk at Custom Mattress Factory. They were great to buy from. We haven't taken the RV out since we got the new one, but it looks and feels great.

https://www.custommattressfactory.com/
ArthurH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 06:32 PM   #6

[QUOTE=ArthurH;1160358]We just replaced the mattress in our 2016 Redhawk at Custom Mattress Factory. They were great to buy from. We haven't taken the RV out since we got the new one, but it looks and feels great.

Good info!!
Was yours a split hinged matress with a different height at bottom section?

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 05-05-2024, 07:47 PM   #7

The Orginal Mattress Factory will make a custom mattress. We had one made with a hinge.

https://www.originalmattress.com

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Unfortunately without knowing what your body type is, what your sleep habits are and how firm or soft you like a mattress thereís no way to answer your question with solid advice. You will get answers all over the board and possibly go down a long road of going through numerous bad mattresses. Iíve been there.

You definitely need to share at least what level of firmness you prefer. The best thing my wife and I did was go spend some time at a Sleep Number store and found out what our sleep number is. This goes a long way when you walk into another mattress store. Most sales staff are familiar with a sleep number number.

I will say if you like a plush bed r fairly soft mattress stay away from foam mattresses. In terms of firmness numbers they are generally going to be well north of 50 which for me is rock hard.
We like a medium firmness, but not too hard. I have had 3 back surgeries in the past 10 years and prefer a mattress that will kind of form fit to my back.
We had a basic 4" Walmart memory foam topper on the bed of our Class A and it slept great for me. This class C Melbourne is a whole new animal in the bedding department. I'm sure we could probably get a foam topper that would surfice but because of the folding hinged mattress design it would be difficult to make it work, too many moving pieces!!!
I do appreciate your input, any ideas are always welcome.

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L
Lexington, SC
Old 05-06-2024, 10:00 AM   #9

Replacement mattress

[QUOTE=Motorhome2;1160381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurH View Post
We just replaced the mattress in our 2016 Redhawk at Custom Mattress Factory. They were great to buy from. We haven't taken the RV out since we got the new one, but it looks and feels great.

Good info!!
Was yours a split hinged matress with a different height at bottom section?
Yes it's hinged and the bottom section is thicker. Their customer service was really helpful with measuring to make sure it fits correctly.
ArthurH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhome2 View Post
We like a medium firmness, but not too hard. I have had 3 back surgeries in the past 10 years and prefer a mattress that will kind of form fit to my back.
We had a basic 4" Walmart memory foam topper on the bed of our Class A and it slept great for me. This class C Melbourne is a whole new animal in the bedding department. I'm sure we could probably get a foam topper that would surfice but because of the folding hinged mattress design it would be difficult to make it work, too many moving pieces!!!
I do appreciate your input, any ideas are always welcome.
If youíve had luck in the past with a good topper I might try that route again. We had a brand new high end mattress given to us a few years back from some friends and it was so ft like concrete for me. I put a 3Ē Tempur Pedic topper on it and it worked great for us.

Iíve tried a few foam mattresses (Zinus from Amazon, Mattress Firms house brand, etc) and they have all been too firm for me. My sleep number is 35 so I like a softer mattress. Ended up finding a mattress at Mattress Firm we love for about 1500 but itís not hinged.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:01 PM   #11

Check out the Froli bed system as well. We put one in and WOW.
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:58 PM   #12

A slab of concrete is usually better than and RV mattress.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #13

Tochta will make you a hinged mattress to your specs. We are very happy with the one we purchased. Fast and reliable. Maybe not.l cheap though depending on your budget.
salukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:15 AM   #14

This thread may help you.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ess-49622.html
It is mainly for a 24K but I think the issues are the same. There are responses from 24L owners as well.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:16 AM   #15

https://wildernessrvmattress.com/

Don't skimp and get the hybrid queen or king. Want a chinese POW starw mat or do you want to feel like you slept in heaven? I recommend the soft.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:52 AM   #16

I always buy a 2 or 3 inch topper. I don't waste money buying another mattress. The topper has always fixed the bad mattress.
erbblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:06 PM   #17

My rule of thumb is whe eye rip the plastic coverings off the new trailer furniture,.I throw the new mattress out with that.
Trash. Having said that, our Eagle had a Quincy's bed in a slide in the bedroom.And when that slide was brought in the cheap original mattress slid underneath the lip of the chest of drawers at the foot of the bed. So I knew any replacement mattress would have to accommodate that problem. My solution was to purchase what is now a sleep number bed. When it was time to bring the slide in.I would release the error from the to mattress bladders until I could slip it underneath that lip. Your case Might require a little more effort.But you could let the air out and fold the mattress back to the point that you could close the slide. The upside is you would now have a good mattress adjustable for you and your partner's individual comfort. Hope this helps.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:51 PM   #18

We have 24 L and got a new mattress and a pad that was supplied Iíll try to find the name of it but we love it. We just gave them the measurement and it fit great where the 1/3 folded
royphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:54 PM   #19

As soon as we get home tonight I look at the tag on the mattress
royphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:11 PM   #20

We had the same problem with the original mattress in our Melbourne. Replaced it 5 years ago with a custom Tochta. Best mattress we have ever slept on. https://tochta.refr.cc/miltonb
RVJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote