Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #1

gps

also, what is a good gps for rvs? thanks
anf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #2

I have a Garmin 770.its a few years old but works reasonably well. I don't rely on any GPS as my primary source of travel info. I'm an old school map guy but I do like having GPS as secondary... I use a Rand McNally trucker Atlas for the most part.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

I use Google...it just works for me

Gps on my Soundstream is a pain to use..hand input everything

Only issue I've had with Google was popping me on a Toll Fwy in Houston... didn't have that turned off..do now
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #4

I've got the Garmin RV 770, like the other poster I also use paper maps. I just finished buying some Benchmark Maps that are named Recreation Maps for each state that I plan to visit. These maps indicate recreation sites for lakes, fishing, hunting, camping places, etc.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/livin...aper-road-map/ From the article

"
While your phone’s GPS app might always be connected to a satellite, you need a wireless connection to access the map and directions it offers you. If you don’t have a wireless connection, you’ll know your GPS coordinates, but won’t have much of an idea of how to navigate to a specific location.
Google Maps has remedied this issue by allowing you to download all the navigation information you need before you lose wireless connection."

So if you loose the satellite connection you don't get voice directions unless you d/l them before hand.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #5
CAG

As I recall this questions was just asked last week and probably the week before. Try the "search" in the gold bar at the top of the page for previous threads on this topic.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #6

I’ve been using a Garmin 785 RV and it works pretty well overall. This model has a built in dash cam with gps coordinates so that you can review or save any incidents while on the road. It also has lane departure and front collision avoidance features that I find pretty useful.
RV specific GPS units usually let you enter the height and length of your RV and they will select known “good or safe” routes for your RV set up. I also use Google Maps or Waze as secondary mapping mainly as a sanity check. Because the Garmin RV GPS only routes you via known safe routes, there will often be a mismatch between my phone GPS app and the Garmin - sometimes an hour or more mismatch. I usually go with the Garmin just to be safe and occasionally will take the shorter / faster route if I’m familiar with the shorter route. The Garmin connects via Bluetooth to your phone and you can get real time traffic updates, make calls, etc.
Frodo13056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anf76 View Post
also, what is a good gps for rvs? thanks

Lots of us use Google Maps on our phones. I do.

But - you need to know that Google Maps assumes you're in a car. And routes you appropriately. 99 times out of 100, that's fine. But if I get a hint that Google's steering me wrongly, I bail on it.

Garmin's got a line that says they're smarter that Google for RVs: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/705997
Old 05-29-2022, 05:22 AM   #8

my wife and i use a garmin rv760 wich is reasonbly working good, but we experience a couple of issues,as garmin gps is not 100 per cent accurate, sometime the gps garmin, bring us in place not wanted, like a dead end in deep wood,where we have to back up a long road, or simply at some point that dosn't exist no more or road that configuration has change. i think these issues are probably due that no people take the time to let garmin know of some change. now we change our way to use the garmin gps. for the major part of our displacement, we use the gps, but once we are close to destination we trust the signs indicators to locate the final part of our travel, and if we doubt about the final way we go on google maps to have another opinion of the travel ,

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:07 AM   #9

We have a Garmin 890. You can set vehicle profile so it will guide you around places that may be difficult. It will warn you if there is a sharp curve coming up, etc. Seems to work pretty well. You can update it over the web. Voice activated. Will connect to your phone via bluetooth.
DazednConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #10

I’ve been using Apple or Google maps for turn-by-turn directions and I’ve been very happy with them. But I’ll usually compare the route beforehand to the one generated by RV Trip Wizard, which I use to plot the trip. It takes my RV parameters into account.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:10 PM   #11

I use Garmin RV785 we just got back from a cross country trip, from WA to NC and back, it serves me well.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #12

i was thinking about the garmin 890. it seems to do a good job for an rv
Old 05-30-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

gps

i use to have a 38 ft diesel pusher. used rand-mcnally rvnd 7730 gps. it was correct 99.8 percent of the time. maps are useful too. everyone who replied had good choices. thanks again.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:33 AM   #14

I use Co-pilot on the RV setting with a Samsung TAB A. It works ok. As mentioned I always go over my route with the Rand McNally truckers atlas. Write it down and check off the routes legs as they are completed. 5 cross country trips and so far so good.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:13 AM   #15

I've always used the GPS on my cell phone. It will have the latest maps (no need to update any external GPS), and my phone maps also include traffic routes that most cheaper external GPS units cannot provide.

I had read a few years back that built in car (and RV radio setups with GPS) were going away, as the constant map updates were time consuming and expensive. Instead, you were to be able to blue tooth your cell phone and its GPS to the screen of your radio, thus the elimination of the car manufacturers having to supply map updates.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #16

reading reviews on the 890: did you ever have trouble downloading map updates, is the voice loud enough, are directions accurate. thankyou
Old 05-31-2022, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've always used the GPS on my cell phone. It will have the latest maps (no need to update any external GPS), and my phone maps also include traffic routes that most cheaper external GPS units cannot provide.

I had read a few years back that built in car (and RV radio setups with GPS) were going away, as the constant map updates were time consuming and expensive. Instead, you were to be able to blue tooth your cell phone and its GPS to the screen of your radio, thus the elimination of the car manufacturers having to supply map updates.
Exactly. When we bought a CRV about seven years ago, DW HAD to have the nav system. It was a giant PITA. Terrible interface (“I don’t understand, please repeat”), clunky maps, out of date routing etc. To add insult to injury, every year we’d get a letter from Honda offering the map update for a couple hundred dollars.

This time her new SUV has Apple CarPlay — plug in your phone and, voila, perfect map/gps with real-time traffic warnings. Proprietary nav systems are dinosaurs. Unfortunately, so is my 23-year-old F-250, so I have to use my little iPhone on a gooseneck mount. But it works like a charm. Someday, maybe I’ll get a new head unit with CarPlay…
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote