Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

GPS Mount Location Caution

In another thread on this forum a member suggested mounting my RV 770 in the coin slot located at the top of my E-450 dash. Following his instructions i successfully installed the mount using a couple fairly long wood screws. However, while searching the web for info on locating the electric brake controller wiring connector, I ran across a thread that showed that the connector may be located behind, and attached to, the coin slot. As I had not removed the storage/coin holder I immediately envisioned a fairly large wood screw was firmly implanted in the brake connector I needed to use. Removing the unit from the dash I was happy to see that, although the mount for the connector was there, the connector itself was not. Looking further I found the connector under the dash by the brake controller. One of the screws I used to attach the GPS mount would have penetrated the connector had it been fastened to the coin slot bracket. Lesson learned.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I was the one recommending mounting the bracket there. But I learned long ago, use just enough screw length to accomplish the project, as you never know what's behind there.

Why would the brake controller wiring be in that location. Where do they recommend mounting that unit, up high on the dashboard? Seems like a bad location. I've always attached the brake controller unit at the bottom of the dashboard.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I was the one recommending mounting the bracket there. But I learned long ago, use just enough screw length to accomplish the project, as you never know what's behind there.

Why would the brake controller wiring be in that location. Where do they recommend mounting that unit, up high on the dashboard? Seems like a bad location. I've always attached the brake controller unit at the bottom of the dashboard.
Was worried about the weight of the GPS.

I think that's just an attachment point as the thread I referenced mentioned pushing the connector down to the brake pedal area, which is where I found it. Agree, that would be a bad location for a brake controller. Looks like the sloped dash just to the left of the engine cover will be the place.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote