Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
SFM

GPS/Radio suggestions

I have 2019 Seneca TS and would like to hear from anyone who has replaced the POS SoundStream system with something better. I am looking for a HD radio/cd/dark and gps system. Thank you in adavance.
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

We have the 2019 RB, and yes that Soundesign was an amazing piece of crap! So we hunted and hunted and ended up putting a pioneer AVH-2550NEX. Fit right in the hole in the dash.

But we opted for a Garmin RV770 GPS.

The Pioneer will take all three camera inputs but we put up a stand alone monitor and wireless camera. We hung that from the ceiling above the middle of the dash. We tow a pickup and as you know you cannot see behind the Seneca without a backup camera. We wanted to be able to monitor the toad all the time.

So I know this is not an answer to your original question. But, it is how we solved the problem of that horrible soundesign system.

Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX-875S. That replicates everything the old radio did- GPS, DVD, TV playing through AUX, and it sounds pretty good, too. It also allows me to use carplay with my iPhone. The carplay in iOS 13 is really, really awesome and I am glad I have it. I also added a Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam that interfaces directly with the head unit. I also swapped the speakers with Kenwood Excelon KFC-X683C. The rears I replaced with KFC-X134 5 1/4s. Finally, I added a KSC-PSW8 power sub under the seat. I wasn't going for bone-rattling loud- I just wanted it to sound really, really good. Which it does- I am quite happy. Also, while I could have spent a few weekends install it myself, I took it to a car audio installer who did it all in 5 hours.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

Alpine

We replaced the cheap Sound Steam with an Alpine iLX-W650. It has Sirius XM and best of all Apple Car Play. This allows us to use WAZE for navigation. In my opinion the best navigation tool there is. All cameras work as well. No 3 second delay when using turn signals or reverse.
All 4 interior speakers were replaced with Alpine and Kicker subwoofer under passenger seat. Sound will blow you away. Very satisfied.
Skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
SFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender on the road View Post
We have the 2019 RB, and yes that Soundesign was an amazing piece of crap! So we hunted and hunted and ended up putting a pioneer AVH-2550NEX. Fit right in the hole in the dash.

But we opted for a Garmin RV770 GPS.

The Pioneer will take all three camera inputs but we put up a stand alone monitor and wireless camera. We hung that from the ceiling above the middle of the dash. We tow a pickup and as you know you cannot see behind the Seneca without a backup camera. We wanted to be able to monitor the toad all the time.

So I know this is not an answer to your original question. But, it is how we solved the problem of that horrible soundesign system.
It sounds like you have a very good set up going now. I have a dezl 770 from Garmin and really like it. I need to order a new charging/mount base as it seems I have put the original one in a very safe place. Such a safe place I can not find it. I appreciate your feedback. I hope your Seneca is working out well for you. I have had mine a month and have put on 6,000 miles. 1,500 more miles to go to get home. I hope to make it back before the coach completely falls apart.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
SFM

Thank you all for you feedback. I will look into these different units. We are android user but I would think either iPhone or android would work.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

just found a new entry into the field, jensen has this crazy huge 10" display head unit now, android auto/car play capable, no cd but has usb/microsd ports, fairly inexpensive too, only 400 bucks at crutchfield
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote