Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

GrayHawk 31FS

Hi All,
I'm a jay feather hybrid owner, but for several reasons the DW and I are leaning towards moving to a class C. We like the 2015 31 FS because it has the bunk beds and we have 3 kids and a dog. Girls on the bunks and boy over the cab is a great layout for us. I'm looking at all manufacturers, each have their own pluses and minuses. Jayco has the j-ride, tankless water heater, drawers under the dinette, self leveling jacks, etc. Other manufacturers have flip up counter space, turn around drivers seat, bigger couches (at the bathrooms expense), outside TV, etc. Would love for you guys to weigh in on your thoughts as to why you picked a Jayco, is the J-ride really important, etc. all opinions are welcomed. Thanks!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Bought my 2015 Jayco 31FS July 31st and now have 7,000 miles on it. No major issues and good on the highways. We bought for the same reasons you are considering...everything in the right place. Two year warranty is a good feature. Took it over mountain passes in Colorado for vacation last summer and just as my research found...the Ford V-10 is excellent. The tow-haul in the transmission is impressive. Good luck in your search.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

We bought a 2014 Greyhawk 31FK in late August and have put 4000 miles on it with visits to several state parks, the NC coast and two trips to Nashville, TN. We shopped all summer looking at MHs from various manufacturers and found we liked the Jayco models best.

We seriously considered a Redhawk but discovered that my vertically-challenged wife could not safely reach into the microwave as it was mounted too high. She liked the cabinetry in the Greyhawk 31FK and its front kitchen layout. The FK is also nice for us because, when stopping for a brief overnight rest at Wally World, we do not have to run the slide out for the RV to be usable. I really appreciate the J-Ride and Bigfoot levelers, too. Their two-year warranty was a factor in choosing a Jayco as is their reputation for standing behind their products. A warranty is only as good as the manufacturer's support.

It drives better than I expected but I have no experience with other MHs to properly compare. My wife was very leery of driving it at first, but she now guides it through the mountains and maneuvers through crowded gas stations with ease. The V-10 engine does have plenty of power even in the mountains. Gas mileage falls in the 8-9 mpg range.

We did note some issues at the PDI but nothing that kept us from using the RV. We made a list of items needing attention as we camped and waited until the winter to put it in the shop for the various warranty fixes. We have a much better unit than many I have read about on various RV forums. The only trip-disrupting problem was when the Bigfoot alarm sounded indicating a leveling jack was not completely up, and we were on I-40 doing 60 mph. Turned out the jack was up, but the limit switch wasn't making solid contact. After a brief stop to reset the jack, we were back on the road.

I do like the Girard tankless water heater but it does require some getting used to. It does save propane and also provides all the hot water you want. It also simplifies winterizing as their is no tank to drain or bypass. But you will cuss it a time or two until you learn to use it properly.

We have been very pleased with our Greyhawk and look forward to many years of using it.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
WDW

DITO . While NC has more road miles on his new rig than we do, we have the same story and are greatful the Winnebago dealer we had originally made an initial commitment to buy from loused up the deal before it closed. Oh, and we gave the same rig too!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

We have had our 2012 31FS for 2 years now and some 14,000 miles. J-Ride components are necessary to the improved ride/handling and are worth the extra dollars. My unit did not have Big-Foot levelers, but I wish I had them, they are a perk. Leveling without them is most the time pretty easy. Having the large slide in blocks a few drawers and doors in the master, but we plan what goes where so we dont need to run the slide out to access those things while traveling.Everything functions with the slides in.

Lots of storage is under the slides, so you need to plan to get that stuff out when camping or have to get under the slides to get stuff out, which is kind of a pain. Garage is comprised of mostly the space under the bed and a little more. We could use some more large item space at times.

Grey hawk is wired for an outside TV and comes with a bracket. We dont use it, but its there. Only draw back is you have to carry the tv seperate, rather than open a compartment.

We love ours.. Build was good, warranty was great. Dealer sucked, but Jayco was very responsive.

I hear they are putting carpet in less places now and have went with more vinyl. I would like to have had vinyl upfront by couch and table. It has been the only carpet in the unit that is showing some wear/stains...
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Enjoying ours as well. Into our third year with it on the road. A few issues but they were small and easily fixed.

We had the same issue with the carpet and last week we did some checking and found the entire main floor was vinyl, so we cut out the carpet over the main floor and now it's just the vinyl and much easier to keep clean. We put some metal trim down to transition from the cut carpet to the vinyl.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

Have had my 29mv for a few months. What a difference from a TT. Other then the lousy Owners manual and Jensen "hookup" manuals, all is good. Will be putting "Toppers" next week.

BTW..... Happy New Years guys and dolls !

S/
Rick and Suni

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

What accessories should I buy at time of purchase? I definitely want black slide toppers for both slides, but what else? With a class C is there a concept of an enclosed underbelly? Other things you wished you have had done right out of the gate? Thx
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
WDW

I would suggest a battery watering system. But more importantly you should try for a complete predelivery inspection ofthe under side for the collection of wires that are haphazardly run inappropriately sealed and many times left dangling. In our case and others they have found live wires that are unhooked and run nowhere going towards the steps.

You may want to negotiate the replacement of the TV antenna from one that cranks up and down to a fixed mast style. And then the other thing is the radio it leaves a lot to be desired especially if you're looking to receive XM with the radio that's designed for it but doesn't have all the appropriate add-ons to make it work and they no longer make....

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #10

Given the amount of space in the 31FS garage and the limited height of all the other compartments, I would suggest making some lists of things you will need and then determine where you plan on stowing them. Grill, chairs, mat, gen-turi (if you camp where this is needed) table, hoses, etc.

I carry my tools, oil, cleaner, towels and things needed for mechanical fixes in the 1st compartment behind the drivers door. I bought socket sets specifically with space in mind and was critical that it was small and multi function if available. Critical item in this compartment is a thorough set of replacement fuses. Know all the types and sizes your rig has.

The second one behind the drivers door I have dedicated to black/grey water tank supplies. Extra dump hose, fittings, hose, flush wand, chemicals, gloves, brush, etc. I have it all in a container that easily slides inand out of that compartment.

In the garage, I carry 2 fans in the summer (Lasko Air Blowers), Hoses, fittings, sprayers, filters, clean H2O related stuff..broom, small rake, folding table, RV mat, 5- folding chairs, Lid to my Q200, and a rubbermaid container with cooking stuff, propane, etc.Extension cords and ropes. Most of the small stuff is in containers I bought that take up the space the fans leave me. We carry the fans for us, but when arriving after a day of driving in the Texas heat, i pop the hood and put them on transmission and motor.

On the passenger side, first compartment from the passenger door is for leveling blocks, wheel chocks. I carry 2x8's and two sets of those yellow things. If you have a leveling system, this compartment is taller. But be aware, it gets the hottest from the engine/trans and road in the summer.

first one back from the side RV door is for stuff we use the most when camping, as it is the easiest to get to and not under a slide. Its packed with stuff.

Next one back behind wheels is used for kids recreational stuff and the last one we use for the Weber Q200 bottom half and varies other outdoor stuff.

We bought containers that fit in these compartments so they could easily be pulled in and out instead of having to get under the slide to dig in the compartment.

Don't forget to use the shower area for storage of things you use when camping. We will probably start carrying our RV mat in the shower. Its large and bulky but normally the first thing out and last thing in when camping.

Know your space before buying stuff. Best advice someone gave me. That goes for the inside cabinets as well.Kitchen cabinets are limited in the 31FS. We made the mistake of buying some items before we knew the size of the drawers/cabinets.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #11

GrayHawk 31FS

Thank you all! Another question, for the passengers that sit on the couch and dinette during travel, in seat belts....are those seats comfortable? I'll have 3 kids in the back and the dinette doesn't look that comfortable to sit at. Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #12

Tx_Arvee - Great feedback...very helpful Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #13

What are your choices? They need to sit where there are seatbelts, dinette and the couch are all you have.

Are you planning to drive straight thru?? Stop often, if not for your sake then theirs. I usually drive in 3 hour shifts.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 AM   #14

As a kid I rode in the cab over bunk of our 1978 Mobile Traveler class c. It was like you were flying down the road. Can remember seeing a lot of Colorado this way. That and riding in the bunks, top and bottom. By today's standards my parents were trying to kill me.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
What are your choices? They need to sit where there are seatbelts, dinette and the couch are all you have.

Are you planning to drive straight thru?? Stop often, if not for your sake then theirs. I usually drive in 3 hour shifts.
Hey Bruce,
As an example, last year we did a trip that hit all the great lakes in our Travel Trailer. On the way "Out", most of our trips were about 4 hours between sites, but on the way back, we had some 7 hour drive days. We stop a lot, bathroom breaks, stretch legs, and very infrequently to switch drivers. I was just thinking about the cushions on the wooden dinette and how uncomfortable they might be. I'm sure they are good for a few hours at a time. For kids especially, I'm sure they are fine. Andy yes, we want them all bucked in.

Jonathan
Old 01-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

Hi Jonathan,

As the only driver for us I have never sat in the seats for a trip but sit in the dinette, when camping, alot. Comfortable enough for me. The nice thing my wife likes is that if she needs to use the facilities, she just gets up and uses them. Or if we need something out of the fridge, drinks, fruits, etc. Don't have to pull over except for me. One of the pluses of a motor home for me.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK