Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #1

Grayhawk vs Redhawk

Greyhawk 31f vs Redhawk 31f
I’m working with a dealer that has a ‘22 Grayhawk with 3,600 miles and a new ‘23 Redhawk. The redhawk has a 2nd a/c same solar package, so the only differences i can see are the jride+ and the fiberglass roof on the Grayhawk. I drove both and it seems that the Grayhawk is quieter and slightly smoother. The USED Grayhawk will not have the manufacturer warranty and has darker interior than that i’d prefer. The Greyhawk is priced $8,000 more and due to being used slightly higher interest rate making payments higher.
Will i really notice a difference , Please comment talk me off the fence
Bocafeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #2

A coach that big, I wouldn’t think about camping in it without the 2nd ac.
So, call it 1k for the second ac and install. Maybe 3/4 of a point higher interest over the life of the loan.
Just some rough numbers, is the Grey hawk worth 15k more?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #3

For me

I'd go new. Especially just $8000 difference.
I've used my factory warranty a few times

But that's me, rather have my issues vs someone elses
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocafeet View Post
Greyhawk 31f vs Redhawk 31f
I’m working with a dealer that has a ‘22 Grayhawk with 3,600 miles and a new ‘23 Redhawk. The redhawk has a 2nd a/c same solar package, so the only differences i can see are the jride+ and the fiberglass roof on the Grayhawk. I drove both and it seems that the Grayhawk is quieter and slightly smoother. The USED Grayhawk will not have the manufacturer warranty and has darker interior than that i’d prefer. The Greyhawk is priced $8,000 more and due to being used slightly higher interest rate making payments higher.
Will i really notice a difference , Please comment talk me off the fence

To get an honest opinion you are going to have to find someone, or several someones who owned both at one time. It is impossible for me to compare my Greyhawk with a Redhawk since I never owned the Redhawk.

Try Google:https://www.camperupgrade.com/jayco-...k-vs-greyhawk/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
A coach that big, I wouldn’t think about camping in it without the 2nd ac.
So, call it 1k for the second ac and install. Maybe 3/4 of a point higher interest over the life of the loan.
Just some rough numbers, is the Grey hawk worth 15k more?
both have 2 a/c’s, jride and solar house battery charger. i’ve heard if both were new and under the grahawk is listed for just over $15,000. so the math is used grayhawk with no warranty but better roof and ride a better buy than the new redhawk with warranty and probably not any noticeable differences (maybe slightly quieter) worth the $8,000
Old 06-02-2023, 06:27 PM   #6

I have the 2021 Redhawk 31F. Both floorplans are practically identical. The Greyhawk has the additional window on the passenger side of the front cap. Sink sits below the counter and possibly has TVs in both bunks. Maybe it has the cameras on both side mirrors that come on the radio screen when activated. Also, it has slam latch compartment doors.

Are all those extras worth the additional $8K+tax and insurance worth it? That's for you to decide.

I would go with the new unit if it was up to me. Something will break eventually regardless.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:59 PM   #7

I have a Greyhawk - but I too say go for the new Redhawk. There's not much on the Greyhawk that you can't add later.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:44 AM   #8

Score 1 forthe redhawk!
this redhawk has cameras in the side of the camper rather than the ford’s side mirror’s and uses the same head-unit radio in cabin for video with turn signals, i am glad the bunks have no “hardware” as i plan to use that space for storage and a workbench (maybe even squeeze in a washer dryer)
Old 06-03-2023, 02:56 AM   #9

it seems that at this point everything except the roof is upgradable. I look forward to upgrading any of my purchases and if i can determine what components need to be improved for my use, i’ll get more than a better RV for me spending that extra 8,000 (that’s a lot of goodies) so i guess it only comes down to the roof which i will never be able to upgrade, only maintain
Old 06-03-2023, 02:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
For me

I'd go new. Especially just $8000 difference.
I've used my factory warranty a few times

But that's me, rather have my issues vs someone elses
The Redhawk being new is the biggest plus to me too
Old 06-03-2023, 03:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
To get an honest opinion you are going to have to find someone, or several someones who owned both at one time. It is impossible for me to compare my Greyhawk with a Redhawk since I never owned the Redhawk.

Try Google:https://www.camperupgrade.com/jayco-...k-vs-greyhawk/
great article thanks! Leaning to the Redhawk side
Old 06-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #12

I'd check build quality of Covid vs non-covid. The hydraulic levelers are something I would not go without again. Standard on Greyhawk. I'm not sure the top really makes a difference. I believe if you add more stuff on top the fiberglass may be better than TPO. Maxfan, maxfan roof air deflectors, when you need to replace that AC (done it), adding more solar (done it), scrubbing the roof clean..

You'll most likely upgrade a number of suspension things (front sway bar, caster, sumo springs) which are a must for ease of drivability so not sure if jride provides too much.. need to research what that difference really is. Changing the 3 things above is night and day to drivability.

Personally I always go new as I don't trust what someone has done. However, I think i read 3500 miles or so.. can't be used too much... If you think you would take it in for warranty go for redhawk. If you are handy, which you kind of need to be, go with greyhawk. taking it to the dealer for fixes takes months and usually not done right, IMO.

I'd go greyhawk if you handy and you get the levelers. If you need the warranty and redhawk has levelers, go that direction. The hydraulic levelers really do make that big of a difference after having them IMO. Can't tell you how many hours, backing up, going forward, left, right, etc you waste getting it right, more so if you have a 2 way fridge, not a 12v, so you don't have to throw all the food away as the fridge isn't cooling bc its not level.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:49 PM   #13

I am an owner of a 2022 redhawk 31f. Went as basic as possible to keep price down. No levelers, no solar prep. The great part is i can add the systems as i want. Just did 400 watts of solar. Next will be lithium.

I went through something similar to yourself. Big differences are:

1) jride plus - dont really see this as being important. I added front timbrens and tightened down the rear hellwigs. Made a lot of improvement. Havent needed the front stabilizer yet.

2) greyhawk comes with 3 additional tvs, bunks and rear bedroom. We dont use the tv in front so not much of a loss to us.

3) roof difference. My first TPO roof vs our previous having epdm. Not really a negative. The fiberglass roof probably would be easier to clean and a little less worried about scraping a branch.

4) inverter - this helps run some basic 120 volt (think house plug). The redhawk doesnt have this standard where greyhawk does. We dont work while rving so we don't need the 120v. I wish they would go to 12v fridges with standard solar as the propane fridge just gets expensive if boondocking.

At the end its about budget, how handy you are and how you camp. I am always nervous about used as you dont know how the previous owner took care of it.

Good luck and no matter what someone will tell you are wrong.
uberpain21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 03:36 PM   #14

For me the fiberglass roof on the Greyhawk would sell me. I had one M/H with a rubber roof, never again....
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #15

update

I went with the Redhawk and i am glad i did dealing with my dealer on small warranty things has been great! I’m full time and bought a thousand trails membership so i staying 21 nights in parks in FL the 1st 84 nights i was able to stay near a La Mesa service center and ironed out the few issues i had (i wouldn’t have been able to do that with the used Greyhawk) i’m only traveling 2-300 miles at a time between the 21night stays, i am going up the west coast of FL then plan to go through the panhandle to the most southern route across the US then going north to PWC at almost a month with levelers down and 300mile travel days i will be able to avoid the cold and a $3000 suspension upgrade. Living the life and learning a lot without spending a lot along the way
Old 11-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #16
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocafeet View Post
I went with the Redhawk and i am glad i did dealing with my dealer on small warranty things has been great! I’m full time and bought a thousand trails membership so i staying 21 nights in parks in FL the 1st 84 nights i was able to stay near a La Mesa service center and ironed out the few issues i had (i wouldn’t have been able to do that with the used Greyhawk) i’m only traveling 2-300 miles at a time between the 21night stays, i am going up the west coast of FL then plan to go through the panhandle to the most southern route across the US then going north to PWC at almost a month with levelers down and 300mile travel days i will be able to avoid the cold and a $3000 suspension upgrade. Living the life and learning a lot without spending a lot along the way

No offense but I guess I missed your point. What is the difference that made one better than the other in your case? Is your Redhawk used or new? If new then of course a used anything is not going to get warranty service. Apples and Oranges unless there is something here I am not seeing.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
No offense but I guess I missed your point. What is the difference that made one better than the other in your case? Is your Redhawk used or new? If new then of course a used anything is not going to get warranty service. Apples and Oranges unless there is something here I am not seeing.
The Grayhawk and redhawk can be optioned very similar and my Redhawk has the options installed like 2 a/c’s but the Grayhawk has a fiberglass roof Redhawk TPO making arguable differences in noise maintenance and weight. The Jride plus suspension of the Grayhawk makes it less stressful to drive. Suspension can be upgraded and surpass the “plus “for about $3700 but the roof can’t. The main reason i went for the cheaper Redhawk was new and still under warranty the Grayhawk had 3500 miles on it and was virtually new but had the title transferred but never really used at least i has absolutely no signes of previous use but NO warranty only a handshake deal to fix anything wrong. The Greyhawk was $6000 more as well. So that was my delema
Old 11-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #18

The Greyhawk being a 2022 should have the remaining 2+3 year warranty as advertised by Jayco.....
pauldeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeere View Post
The Greyhawk being a 2022 should have the remaining 2+3 year warranty as advertised by Jayco.....
I haven't checked in quite a while, but what I remember is that Jayco only warranties their RV's to the original purchaser. So if you purchase a used one, even a late model, beware and check the warranty. Also, Ford doesn't do this so the chassis warranty is (should be) transferable. ~CA
Old 11-11-2023, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I haven't checked in quite a while, but what I remember is that Jayco only warranties their RV's to the original purchaser.

Unless it's changed recently, this is correct. I'm second owner and I got no Jayco warranty for a nearly new 2016.