Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2022, 05:39 AM   #1

Great deal on Lipo4 batteries

Hope this is ok to post here, if not my apologies. Costco is having a sale on Lion Lipo4 batteries until 5/22. They are selling for 1400 for 2 batteries. The down side is that you must purchase in lots of 2. It is a great deal. You must purchase online btw.
Dhardy193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #2

Have you looked at Renogy? 100 AH batteries with bluetooth that gives you remaining amps, amps being used or charged for $509 plus if you get a referral from a customer you can get another 7% off, free shipping included.

I love mine, flip on my phone, 89.7 AH remaining, draw 1.3 amps was a typical reading while at Great Sand Dunes.

Get a referral from any customer you know or I can help.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #3

are lithium batteries just a drop in replacement for the coach?
if they are just a replacement....i would be all in, but, possibly some alternator problems?
that renogy battery looks good.
flat towing 2005 nissan frontier 4x4, 6 speed.
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:58 AM   #4

1400 for the two batteries isn't a great deal.

If you get the lithium ones, I'm pretty sure most converter/chargers need to be swapped out as well for ones that charge lithium.

Since your chassis will also charge those batteries, it may not be the best idea to mix and match for longevity sake. I doubt it would cause some sort of safety issue, but at the same time lithium batteries shouldn't be charged below freezing temps and most have a BMS with a thermal sensor (good batteries do at least) where it will shut down the charging circuit if the temp gets too low or high.

Lithium batteries charge to a higher voltage, which the current converter is not set up for. On the plus side if it only charges to 13.8 or so you'll never have to worry about overcharging and it oddly might make them last longer. But, its only being charged to maybe 85% at best which means you are wasting money on capacity if you aren't charging it all the way.

If you do get a new converter charger for lithium, it will likely have a higher charge rate capability so you'll need to check the wire size to make sure its large enough. If it isn't, the cable could potentially melt, or more likely it will get hot and have more resistance and the efficiency of the charger will go down. For those with solar, you need every bit of efficiency you can get.

I've been asking some of the battery manufacturers (and nobody wants to answer) about whether or not leaving the battery out over the winter will damage it even if its not being used or charged. For many folks up north that might mean taking the batteries out of the coach every winter. Again, still waiting to hear back, but given the sensitivity to charging at low temps I thought it was a valid question.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #5

Some llithium have heaters and would work in winter but unless you have them on solar to keep the charge up they would run down over time. Mine is a standard type and shouldn't be charged under freezing, but have a chip that is supposed to stop it from getting damaged.
Since it is so light, 27 pounds, I intend to haul it in for the winter and set it somewhere in the basement. At 75, my old group 27 at 55 pounds was getting to be too much.
Fenderworks. You may or may not have a lithium capable system to keep your battery charged. I added 200 watts solar and have just disconnected my older, lead only, converter and don't worry about the battery at all. Even in cold weather I get charged up in a few hours. Even in shade I get a charge!
I like the Renogy bluetooth battery! I can see state of charge on my phone at all times. With my Renogy solar it also bluetooths me how much it is charging or discharging the battery and both are simple to use with the DCHome app Renogy.

If you want Renogy products make sure you get a code from a Renogy past buyer and you can get a 7% off link. Make sure to buy direct to get full warranty. I went to ebay and they said they were Renogy but found the actual internet address was China.

My wire from controller to battery was #10 so it would have been ok but my 2017 house system was lead only. I thought investing in solar was a better route than spending money on complete replacement converter/charger.

And it has! 4 days at Sand Dunes and 3 days at Hermit Park, CO with no electric and battery was back to full charge every day!.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderworks View Post
are lithium batteries just a drop in replacement for the coach?
if they are just a replacement....i would be all in, but, possibly some alternator problems?
that renogy battery looks good.

I see you're in a 2017, which would make me think "Probably not. Maybe. But probably not."

I'm in a 2016 that is NOT ready for LiFePO4. I'd have to change a lot of things. I'd bet a lot of the 2022 and up models would be ready. 2017? I don't know.

Alternator would be one possible, of a handful of things, to change

Lithium is great, no doubt about it.
But it is different. And we need to be educated and ready on those differences.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the answers everybody!

yes, i would like to swap my regular house battery for a lithium, but it seems as it is not a drop in.

not interested in the solar part of it, just the better battery.

i will keep reading and doing research.
flat towing 2005 nissan frontier 4x4, 6 speed.
fenderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #8

Regular lead battery chargers will charge the lithium battery to maybe 75 to 80 % but not the last 20% per Renogy.
My son in law bought a lithium specific charger for about $30 as he did not want to add solar to his popup. He charged the battery to 100% and used on a long weekend. Only down to about 80% after two cold nights and plenty of use of furnace in the popup.

Based on that a single 100 AH rated battery could be counted on for 75% with no change to the system or 100 amps if you charged it before you left an electric source.
And still get the benefits of 1. Lighter weight 2. Much longer life. 3. No worries about running it dead and killing it's capacity. 4. No water to add 5. no winter trickle charger.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:22 PM   #9

Charging Lithium

I recently sold my Honda EU2000 and group 32, 65 pound lead acid battery. Bought 2 Renogy 100AH Lithiums and the Renogy 120 volt 20 amp Lithium charger. So much easier to handle the 26 pound batteries and I tried a single in the North Point. No problem running the residential fridge. The 1200 watt inverter is also powering the TV. I'll have to try the two batteries for an extended time to see how long they'll run things. Fridge, lights, television, slides, etc. It's taken years for me to make the jump to Lithium. Probably the last batteries I'll ever need for the RV. Luckily price has been coming down.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote