Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Greyhawk 2020 Ford 7.3 engine

Talked to local Jayco dealer today, and ask when can I get a Greyhawk 31fs with the new Ford 7.3 gas engine. He said he did not have any idea, maybe February,March 2020. I ask could he contact Jayco and ask them, he said he was not interested . He needed to sell what he had in stock first, I offered to put a substantial binder on the deal. He more or less told me to go see another dealer. I said ok ,No more DIXIE RV for me. Have any of you heard when Jayco might release some Class “C” units with these new engines ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #2

The latest information that I see is the new engine will be put into the F-series first, followed by the E series at a later date. The E series will not get the new 10 speed transmission, but will keep on with the 6 speed.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

I would not want a first year engine, remember all the problems with the V10 when it first came out? Now its almost bullet proof and they drop it.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #4

To each his own. I did not want the new unproven engine. Got our 2020 with the proven v10 and have no regrets. Runs like a champ. Not worried about the small fuel improvement of newer engine based on old engine tech. Good luck with your new engine.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

I had one of the first v10 in a pickup. It blew out 3 spark plugs when pulling a boat home on the expressway. We also had a few Ford diesels in the first years and had to replace the engines. Never get the first year.
amstier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

I purposely bought a 2019 for that exact reason. After owning a second year duramax that eats injectors I will never experiment with a new engine. Give me tried and true any and every day.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

I think it's ironic that Ford produced the V10 that produces it's power at high revs, now they say low revs with the new engine is better. Why didn't they know that to begin with? I wonder if the real reason is it's cheaper to produce.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I think it's ironic that Ford produced the V10 that produces it's power at high revs, now they say low revs with the new engine is better. Why didn't they know that to begin with? I wonder if the real reason is it's cheaper to produce.
RPM claims are relative. The V10 peaks at 3,250. The new V8 peaks at 4,000, but it looks like it has a decent amount of more torque @ the 2,200rpm cruising rpm area.

The V10 likely won't meet emissions given the ever increasing requirements.

It could make a lot more power. Looks like Ford specifically is designing it to be a long haul motor. Lower compression, 87 octane, etc. Ford sells probably 200k chassis to the RV manufacturers, so that's good business for them. I head Workhorse was getting back into the game, but for now it looks like Ford is the only player in town. Add in all the fleet sales for businesses, cities/towns, etc. and it gets to be a big deal.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

Florida Ranger,

Like you, I am waiting for the new Ford V8 to become available before purchasing another class C. Pushrod engines aren't new to the automotive world and there will be a warranty, so I'm not that worried about issues. Seems like the gearheads and engine enthusiasts are excited about the potential for upgrades to the new V8.

Have had a '13 and '17 Winnebago Aspect class w/ the V10 and didn't like the large doghouse and lack of leg/foot room for the passenger. The doghouse for the new V8 is supposed to be much smaller w/ more legroom for the passenger.

When the new engine (and redesigned E450 cab) become available, I'll be looking at the Greyhawk Prestige and Entegra Esteem.

Ed W.
ucwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #10

The guys at 5-star tune do a good job of getting power out of the v10 at lower rpms, and reduce the downshifting and ‘screaming’ in the process, if anyone is interested. i know opinions vary on this, but just saying...

The new v8 is a pushrod design like the old 460. as such, it will sit lower in the bay because it’s not as tall. should be quieter as a result, but it’s programmed power-wise to be similar to the v10 for longevity. as was mentioned already, the e-series will keep the 6-speed, at least for now.

i bought a 2020 with the v10, even after researching the 7.3. i’m optimistic that it will have a good launch, but would rather buy the v10 at end-of-life because reliability is more important to me in an rv than having the latest tech. especially if they’re not pairing it with the 10-speed right away.
Esteemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #11

I'm excited about the new gas 7.3L with the 10 speed. My next truck will be a black F-350 with that combo. I don't believe Ford has made a pushrod engine in quite some time. The 6.2L that I have in my F-250 now has plenty of power but is noisier than the 6.7L turbo diesel, lol.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
This new 7.3L Ford V8 gasoline Super Duty truck engine is going to be a return to push rods riding on a single camshaft inside the block, directly above the crankshaft. Pushrod engines typically made peak horsepower at lower rpms. Engines with long timing chains and a camshaft in each head made much more horsepower, but only at higher rpms. They also required specially designed intake manifolds to increase torque at lower rpms.
Essentially Ford is returning to a tried and true engine design that is not as physically wide and has the benefits of improved fuel injection technology. This 7.3 liter engine (445 cubic inches) will far exceed the horsepower and torque rating of the old 460 Ford V8. Also, this new V8 will have a stronger crankshaft and connecting rods!
I would not be afraid of this “first year” engine! The 6.7L Ford diesel has never been a problem and Ford continues to improve its performance during the last 9 years. I think the same will occur with this new 7.3L gas engine.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #13

With all the talk of the V8, anyone have any idea what the additional charge over the V10 and since it is keeping the 6 speed trans I wonder if they will still have the torque as with the 10 speed?
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #14

Get it in a diesel, preferably a Duramax.
R E SHARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #15

The new 7.3 is going to be a happy medium between gas and diesel for HP and torque. I wouldn't buy a 1st year engine for anything. Wait for two or three years. The 1st year buyers will be the guinea pigs to test it for Ford.
It looks like a heck of a good engine but it hasn't been put through Ford testing yet.....the consumer.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #16

RE Sharp, I don't see a Diesel version listed on the Jayco Website for 2019 or 2020... do you know something we don't?
Old 11-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #17
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
……………. I wouldn't buy a 1st year engine for anything. Wait for two or three years. The 1st year buyers will be the guinea pigs to test it for Ford.
………………….
I have to agree based on 38 years in product engineering and manufacturing. There are always first year bugs and no time to respond in the second year. Therefore, third, fourth and fifth (unless the last model year) are usually the best. The last model year can be a risk since some bean counter asks the engineers to approve the inventory of parts previously identified as rejects.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #18

EOW, interesting... So, along with the Ford 7.3 gas... .would you also wait on the GM 6.6 Gas just introduced? It is as new as the Ford!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #19
eow

Greyhawk 2020 Ford 7.3 engine

If it is new and has moving parts, I wait for the third year.

The simplest oversights going into production can create big issues. A drill bit not set to the proper height in the CNC tool holder drills the oil hole too deep in the casting, burning oil results. A supplier decides to try a lower cost lubricant when pressing components together and they slip in operation. The assembler does not torque the flywheel nut after applying locktite and leaves for coffee break. Comes back and the nut is "tight" but the flywheel flies off when in operation. None of these issues were present during the prototype or preproduction phases to support field testing. Only surfaced when "hard tooled" and the new line was staffed for production. Just a few of the things I needed to deal with in my past. So I stay away from 1st and 2nd year builds.

Note the years of my TV and FW in my signature.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I think I remember reading that this smaller package will be able to be used in autos too, so not just in the E and F series chassis.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote