Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #1

Greyhawk 27U Steering Problems

I just purchased the 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 27U on 2019 Ford E-450 with JRide+ technology. I am having major steering and stabilization problems. The RV constantly drifts and wanders in lane. Driving is a struggle and quite tiring. When a semi passes, my unit wants to leave the highway. It can lurch a foot to the right as the semi approaches. When towing my 4023 pound Jeep, the problem is worse. I cannot safely drive above 50 mph when towing because front end seems light and the steering is slow to respond. Anyone else with similar issues? Any suggestions?
Aiviq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #2

Get a front end alignment.
wsherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all". You can recognize these sleeves because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Here is a link to our experience Circa 2010:
E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Try discussing your problem with Standens Springs in Calgary.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #4

If you call Jayco maybe they will authorize an alignment under warranty. My owners manual says they will do an alignment if a problem was found during the test drive. I had mine done as a result of a slight pull to the right during the test drive.

My test drive was approx 50 miles with 10 being city and 40 being interstate so I got a good feel for how the rig handled.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiviq View Post
When a semi passes, my unit wants to leave the highway. It can lurch a foot to the right as the semi approaches. When towing my 4023 pound Jeep, the problem is worse. I cannot safely drive above 50 mph when towing because front end seems light and the steering is slow to respond. Anyone else with similar issues? Any suggestions?
Common problem with the E450. What will make the BIGGEST help is installing an upgraded Hellwig front sway bar (the Greyhawk already has an upgraded rear sway bar) and installing an upgraded steering stabilizer like the Roadmaster Reflex. Many of us here have done that.

The stock Ford front sway bar is seriously undersized and the stock Ford steering damper does basically nothing, but scare the crap pout of you.

You can scroll the Class C forum and you'll see the threads, or use the search function above and search "Hellwig" or search "Reflex".
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
CAG

This may help. There are other threads with suggestion and mods that have been done.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-70461.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #7

I have 2017 Redhawk 26' and had similar issue. Don't know but you could have an alignment issue or something else. Mine was due to to the lousy Ford damper which is suppose to bring the steering wheel back to center when it drifts slightly. I installed the Roadmaster reflex steering bar and it has made all the difference in the world. It really does bring the steering back when it drifts due to an 18 wheeler passing or windy day. The Roadmaster device has a large heavy duty spring wrapped around the shock that forces the steering back to the center compared to the original Ford damper which basically does nothing. It's the same thing mounted on an Econoline van with no changes by Jayco. I guess for cost saving measures and more profit Jayco decided the steering on an Econoline is the same as steering on a motorhome.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtraveler View Post
I have 2017 Redhawk 26' and had similar issue. Don't know but you could have an alignment issue or something else. Mine was due to to the lousy Ford damper which is suppose to bring the steering wheel back to center when it drifts slightly. I installed the Roadmaster reflex steering bar and it has made all the difference in the world.
I totally agree with that. The Reflex made a TON of improvement in steering and the "white knuckle" factor. Did you upgrade the sway bars yet on your Redhawk? Those will also make a huge difference.

To the OP, here are some pictures on the difference in the sway bars and steering stabilizers, from stock versus upgrade. Here is the Front sway bar, then Rear sway bar, then Reflex versus stock steering damper.
Attached Thumbnails
front sway.jpg   rear sway.jpg   Reflex.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #9

Planning to have the sway bar replaced. Unfortunately the Redhawk is so low I think I would be unable to install the new sway bar therefore will have it done in a shop. Not safe to place on jack stands and go underneath. I have read along with the reflex steering from Roadmaster a new and more sturdy sway bar will make a phenomenal difference in the way the RV handles on the road.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all". You can recognize these sleeves because they are keyed and cannot be rotated. They are marked "F8UA-AA 0+.25" on the passenger side and "E97A-CA +0-0" on the drivers side.

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Here is a link to our experience Circa 2010:
E350/E450 Handling Problems are caused by too little + CASTER

Try discussing your problem with Standens Springs in Calgary.
I agree. Helper spring adjustment first, alignment second, rear sway (if a Redhawk) third, front sway 4th. Steering enhancement if you feel you need it after the others.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #11

And for the record, as a contrarian point of view to those firmly in the Reflex steering camp, my Bilstein damper upgrade was significantly cheaper, easier to install, and provides me enough added bonus that I’m happy. I don’t think my rig really needed a steering enhancement at all, but under $100 bucks it was easy to grab it anyway.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtraveler View Post
Planning to have the sway bar replaced. Unfortunately the Redhawk is so low I think I would be unable to install the new sway bar therefore will have it done in a shop. Not safe to place on jack stands and go underneath. I have read along with the reflex steering from Roadmaster a new and more sturdy sway bar will make a phenomenal difference in the way the RV handles on the road.
I installed both sway bars by myself in my driveway. No jack stands required. The front was relatively easy, and plenty of clearance. The rear was definitely a bear, having to slide way under the rig and try and hold it up by myself.

The Reflex was a real easy install.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
And for the record, as a contrarian point of view to those firmly in the Reflex steering camp, my Bilstein damper upgrade was significantly cheaper, easier to install, and provides me enough added bonus that I’m happy. I don’t think my rig really needed a steering enhancement at all, but under $100 bucks it was easy to grab it anyway.
I guess, everyone's mileage will vary... I think the most beneficial part of the Reflex is the spring, that re-centers the wheel after hitting a bad part of the road. I feel the damping, keeping the wheel from jerking side to side, is secondary. The stock damper did that OK enough, but when the rig chatters over a bad patch in the road or expansion joint, and the steering jerks to one side and continues to head that direction, is more of an issue. The re-centering spring cured that.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #14

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2348549

Hunter99 Post #12 19JUN20 6:34PM

START QUOTE:
Got the MH aligned today using the Henderson Line specs. Absolute night in day for the little bit I drove it. First, most of play is now gone and the steering wheel no longer feels like it spins like a toy. This was a big problem because it would do that until it started to finally turn in that direction. I did have to get eh adjustable camber bushings so that bumped up the cost with well worth it.

What I like is the wheel doesn't have a loose feel anymore. If I turn it is starts to go that direction. Also, the part that Henderson states about setting the one side a little more for the road crown is spot on. Part of the drive for a few miles was on a highway that has considerable angle to the outside lane for drainage. I no longer felt like I was fighting the wheel to keep it straight. Tracked right on down the road. Don't really notice any pull on a normal road either.

Now I bought my unit used and it was a rental for a year so go knows what those people did. That being said, there is no way that the alignment was right the it was delivered and it stated that way. Luckily I only have a slight amount of abnormal tire wear in the front so I can run them for another year or so. Next is rear swayer, trackball, and probably airbags. Front swayer and sumo sprigs up front after that then shocks.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #15

I have the same rig. I found the tires were under inflated when I picked it up and it did the same things you are. After putting tires to full pressure, it’s much better
Lpatter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

WE had the same issue with our Redhwak 26XD. Dealer sent for alignment fixed nothing! Went to an alignment shop & they adjusted (or replaced) casters & we added a Safe-T-Ride Plus & drive perfectly now. Call Jayco before allowing dealer to send for an alignment because dealer will spend the dollars Jayco would give you for alignment on useless work!
jkkinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Common problem with the E450. What will make the BIGGEST help is installing an upgraded Hellwig front sway bar (the Greyhawk already has an upgraded rear sway bar) and installing an upgraded steering stabilizer like the Roadmaster Reflex. Many of us here have done that.

The stock Ford front sway bar is seriously undersized and the stock Ford steering damper does basically nothing, but scare the crap pout of you.

You can scroll the Class C forum and you'll see the threads, or use the search function above and search "Hellwig" or search "Reflex".
X2 best investment I ever made. I also added sumo springs on front and back. Big improvement.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #18

That doesn't seem like normal performance for any motorhome. If it is new, take it to the dealer. This is what warranties are for. Maybe something is not lined up quite right, and the dealers do a whole lot of fixing what Jayco (or any other manufacturer) doesn't have quality control for.

If it's not new, then...well...these guys on the forum know their stuff!!
Good luck, and happy camping.��
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #19

Quote:
I just purchased the 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 27U on 2019 Ford E-450 with JRide+ technology. I am having major steering and stabilization problems. The RV constantly drifts and wanders in lane. Driving is a struggle and quite tiring. When a semi passes, my unit wants to leave the highway. It can lurch a foot to the right as the semi approaches. When towing my 4023 pound Jeep, the problem is worse. I cannot safely drive above 50 mph when towing because front end seems light and the steering is slow to respond. Anyone else with similar issues? Any suggestions?
This is always an ongoing topic, welcome to the unstable world of the Ford E450!

I recommend, and I had Installed, in the following in order;

Firestone Ride-Rite rear airbags with a proper alignment.

Supersteer rear track bar, Especially when you’re towing your jeep!, best money I spent to date where I immediately felt a difference. ( I actually think I would recommend doing this first if I started over)!!!!!!!

Hellwig front sway bar

Road Master steering damper

Rear Hellwig sway bar, (I’m still saving up to do this)

I’ve heard front sumo springs, (joust bumpers replacements), also can help with steering, but I’ve read mixed reviews that it causes a very harsh ride.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #20

Call Jayco

Quote:
Most units are not correct when delivered. they leave the alignment the way it was for the E450 van then add all that RV onto the extended frame making them unable to align with stock parts. Jayco will pay to have the parts changed out so it can be properly aligned. the drive shaft angle also probably needs to be adjusted. The other parts are a great add on but get the alignment right first. It makes a big difference!! I think they get away with it with many units but when called on it they stepped up and fixed it for us!!
Tugcaptn is offline   Reply With Quote