Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV drivers seat position

I have a new 2019 Greyhawk 29MV and am curious if my "problem" is normal or not.

The drivers seat is off center by almost 2 inches. By that I mean you sit two inches to the left of the steering wheel/column (closer to the driver's door). The center of the drivers seat is about two inches to the left of the center of the steering wheel.

I find this to be very odd and have never experienced such a thing in any other vehicle I've ever owned. I believe it also greatly increases the incredible discomfort I have with that "special" seat.

I wonder if there are safety issues with it being un-centered should the airbag deploy.

The seat is so close to the door that it is also a trick to access the door handle because it is mostly blocked by the drivers seat (it touches the door).

I wonder about the off-centeredness of the seat itself and if this is a "feature" or a problem. I detest the seats they are too large for me and my wife, our feet barely reach the floor; she has to drive with her toes on the accelerator. However, regardless of my displeasure (and I will be replacing them), is this normal?

Utah McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

Very odd! My 2017 Greyhawk is totally centered on the steering wheel. Hard to believe that the mounting holes would not be in the correct spot given the fact that everything is computerized these days.

If the dealer is close you should stop by and look at one sitting on the lot to see if it is off too.

Maybe the seat is closer to the door to allow you to get out faster so you can enjoy the camping experience quicker.

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

I was just out in my rig, and checked mine, since we have the same chassis.

My seat is centered on the wheel, with about 2+ inches from the seat edge to the door handle. I also have rotating seat bases, which are not standard Ford OEM, but they are still centered on the wheel.

I don't think Jayco remounts the standard seats, don't they come premounted as part of the cut-away chassis?

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Hi Utah-- My 2017 E450 chassis is like yours ... off set a couple of inches. It is probably dependent on the seat they are using at the time. I have seen certain Chevrolet Suburban seats offset, as well as Toyota FJ cruisers. I didnt care for my seat either, so I added internal lumbar foam. And because my legs are on the short side, I added 2 inches of hi density foam to my floor board.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

E450 C's w/ stock seats or close to stock seats will have a centered steering wheel. For whatever reason the Greyhawks with the cushier seat end up off-center. I've never been able to figure out why. My 2015 and 2019 Greyhawks were the same - both off-center. The Sunseeker I had was dead center but the seat was stock.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote