Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV drivers seat position

I have a new 2019 Greyhawk 29MV and am curious if my "problem" is normal or not.

The drivers seat is off center by almost 2 inches. By that I mean you sit two inches to the left of the steering wheel/column (closer to the driver's door). The center of the drivers seat is about two inches to the left of the center of the steering wheel.

I find this to be very odd and have never experienced such a thing in any other vehicle I've ever owned. I believe it also greatly increases the incredible discomfort I have with that "special" seat.

I wonder if there are safety issues with it being un-centered should the airbag deploy.

The seat is so close to the door that it is also a trick to access the door handle because it is mostly blocked by the drivers seat (it touches the door).

I wonder about the off-centeredness of the seat itself and if this is a "feature" or a problem. I detest the seats they are too large for me and my wife, our feet barely reach the floor; she has to drive with her toes on the accelerator. However, regardless of my displeasure (and I will be replacing them), is this normal?
Utah McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

Very odd! My 2017 Greyhawk is totally centered on the steering wheel. Hard to believe that the mounting holes would not be in the correct spot given the fact that everything is computerized these days.

If the dealer is close you should stop by and look at one sitting on the lot to see if it is off too.

Maybe the seat is closer to the door to allow you to get out faster so you can enjoy the camping experience quicker.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I was just out in my rig, and checked mine, since we have the same chassis.

My seat is centered on the wheel, with about 2+ inches from the seat edge to the door handle. I also have rotating seat bases, which are not standard Ford OEM, but they are still centered on the wheel.

I don't think Jayco remounts the standard seats, don't they come premounted as part of the cut-away chassis?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Hi Utah-- My 2017 E450 chassis is like yours ... off set a couple of inches. It is probably dependent on the seat they are using at the time. I have seen certain Chevrolet Suburban seats offset, as well as Toyota FJ cruisers. I didnt care for my seat either, so I added internal lumbar foam. And because my legs are on the short side, I added 2 inches of hi density foam to my floor board.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

E450 C's w/ stock seats or close to stock seats will have a centered steering wheel. For whatever reason the Greyhawks with the cushier seat end up off-center. I've never been able to figure out why. My 2015 and 2019 Greyhawks were the same - both off-center. The Sunseeker I had was dead center but the seat was stock.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

My 2019 Greyhawk 26y was offcenter 2 inches as well. I was amazed. I put a 1/8" piece of steel under the left frame rail and this at least tipped the seat more towards center since it was off center towards left and tiped in the same direction. I wonder if there is a factory fix for this, such a strange thing. I literally have a doctorate in physical and it is terrible ergonomics to be sitting off centered, especially bad for left should reaching across the body to steering wheel making it more likely to experience impingement symptoms in left shoulder. So far I fix it by scooting towards inside of seat as much as possible. I really would prefer to center the seat even if I have to pay for it myself. I love this RV in every other respect however!
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #7

I agree that it's a problem largely specific to Greyhawks because of the "upgraded" seat. OEM Ford seat will likely be centered. Mine is off-center as well, but that's not the part that bothers me the most.

My seats have absolutely NO lumbar support. I use a Samsonite cushion to fix that particular issue.

I had complained endlessly about my seat, and in the beginning, even the lumbar pillow didn't help. But recently we went on about a 3,000 mile round trip journey which put me behind the wheel for MANY hours. I discovered that I can't even do that in my DD (which is VERY comfortable) without parts of me falling asleep. But I did about 12 hours behind the wheel in one day, and I was mostly comfortable. As comfortable as I could be for sitting in the same seat for that long I guess...

So I guess for all its shortcomings, my seat is okay. That is to say that replacing it has moved way down on the priority list...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #8

So true, the lumbar support is a bit low and the support in the cervical (neck) region is a bit over done which places you in a forward head position. However, if lumbar support is added it larges fixes this problem. One of the first things that I did as well is to add a McKenzie Spine Lumbar Roll. Fairly cheap, around $20, and it works extremely well. I still wouldn't mind having the seat a little more centered but I think I can live with it easier now. Does anyone else notice that the seat is tilted toward the outside of the vehicle? The passenger side is tipped towards the outside as well. Perhaps this is to help with getting in and out of vehicle? The was more annoying to me than being off centered but is easily fixed.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #9

Ours is off-set also, but I find it comfortable to drive. As a rule for us, no more than 275 miles in a day with stops for meals and restroom breaks. We're not in that much of a hurry, and being rushed leads to a stressful day for me. I may be in the minority, but I use the armrest for my right arm and the door for my left and find that works for me. To each his own.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:25 PM   #10
god

My 24B red Hawk is the same way. still fighting with Jayco Dealer on this. Also drivers seat turns only half way.
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #11

It's so you can get out of the seat to your Right an go back into the RV... More leg room a little...
New jayco user woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #12

I just finished correcting my drivers seat. 2017 29MV. This has bugged me since
I purchased it new. This post inspired me to correct it. My problem was not that it was not centered, but that it was not level. Tilted to the door. I loosened all four mounting points and added 5/8" spacers to the left side. I did have to get a longer bolt for the left front mount. Driving position is perfect now. Not only leveled the seat, but it now centered me to the steering wheel. 2 front bolts are T55 Torx, Rear are 18mm on studs. Rear stud is plenty long for the spacer. Move the seat all the way back to access front and all the way forward to access the rear. Not difficult are sure worth it.
Jere Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #13
god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere Mc View Post
I just finished correcting my drivers seat. 2017 29MV. This has bugged me since
I purchased it new. This post inspired me to correct it. My problem was not that it was not centered, but that it was not level. Tilted to the door. I loosened all four mounting points and added 5/8" spacers to the left side. I did have to get a longer bolt for the left front mount. Driving position is perfect now. Not only leveled the seat, but it now centered me to the steering wheel. 2 front bolts are T55 Torx, Rear are 18mm on studs. Rear stud is plenty long for the spacer. Move the seat all the way back to access front and all the way forward to access the rear. Not difficult are sure worth it.
Thank you.I am going to try it. My seat seat leans 1.5 degrees towards w door.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #14

Drivers seat correction

Just got back from an 11 day trip. Before I left I removed the 2 left side driver's seat mounting bolts and loosened the right 2. Added 3/4" thick rubber body donuts/vibration dampeners to the left side, replaced these bolts with longer bolts, and then retightened both sides. This leveled out the drivers seat. Centered me up to the steering wheel, leveled the seat(left to right), and made driving comfortable for the first time since purchased new. I actually used a trailer item. Ramp doors on enclosed trailers have rubber bumpers that are mounted to the outside of door so when the door is lowered, these protect the door from the ground. Very inexpensive fix, but a World of difference
Old 10-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #15

My 29xk was centered. It shouldn't be hard to dill new holes and move it over
Old 10-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #16

seat position

My main problem was not sitting straight up, but leaning to the left. The bushings leveled the seat making driving more comfortable.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:07 AM   #17

Reading this post made me promptly go outside and see how my drivers seat was. It is centered. It is not an OEM E-450 seat. My Class C is also a 2005 model, so it is not perhaps comparable to the newer model E450's, but I'm also assuming Ford did not do much in the way of changing drastically the cab design.

I'd suspect it's the seats that Jayco is installing on the newer Greyhawks. These seats most likely fit a variety of RV's, and have this offset issue with the E-450's.

To the OP, did you not notice this when you first bought the RV? I assume you sat in the drivers seat during the purchase phase.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #18
god

Thank you for the info. Still working with Jayco to have them fix it. My drivers seat is leaning 1.5 degrees toward the drivers door
Old 10-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #19
CAG

I have not found mine to be off centered so not sure why others are. Strange.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote