Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV entry stairs

Has anyone else noticed that the entry stairs are not sealed and rather flimsy-feeling? I understand they tend to go lighter to save weight, but unsure that's where I'd want to cut weight. I'm 220 pounds and have older kids who don't know the meaning of stepping lightly

When the sun is shining towards the stairs, I can see sunlight through the sides, it's that thin. Is that normal?
Suprnova74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #2

Mine has the battery compartment there, assuming u mean the inside steps not retracting steps

Mine isn't thin...so not sure what u mean
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:11 PM   #3

mine too. The battery is there as well. I don't have the RV at my house now but they feel like they flex when walking out. on the side edges, when a bright-light (or sun ) is shining, I can easily see light shining through those edges of each step. I may just run a bead of caulk there or something.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #4

It's a metal door on the step that opens.

It could be as simple as it's squishing the rubber grommet that's on the perimeter of the door/step

I'm 195# and don't notice it
Old 05-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #5

we have a 29MV (2018) I agree the stairs are kind of light duty and they feel soft to me in one corner. So far hasn't been an issue I'm not understanding the light shining through them as they are outside and not in a compartment.

Stair recent issue for us was the control module failed it had to be replaced
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #6

He is talking about the steps inside..not the retractable steps outside
Old 05-06-2022, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
we have a 29MV (2018) I agree the stairs are kind of light duty and they feel soft to me in one corner. So far hasn't been an issue I'm not understanding the light shining through them as they are outside and not in a compartment.

Stair recent issue for us was the control module failed it had to be replaced
I'm talking the inside steps not the retracting one. Once I get the RV back from dealer repair hostage, I'll take a pic so you guys see what I'm talking about. I couldn't believe it either. Maybe I got a defective unit or they forgot some undercarriage cover or something.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #8

I have a 2022 29 MVP also and noticed the same corner gaps where the metal steps are not welded. I haven’t noticed any weakness just the gaps.

I have purchased black caulk to seal the interior corners and Dynamat like product to line the inside of the steps to reduce the engine and road noise. This along with a 1/2” layer of rigid foam insulation on the outside will hopefully keep things quieter and provide some level of insulation where there is currently none.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
.... This along with a 1/2” layer of rigid foam insulation on the outside will hopefully keep things quieter and provide some level of insulation where there is currently none.
If that 1/2" gap is exposed to the outside/rain or other water's ability to get to it, I'd refrain from using foam. The stuff bought at a hardware store in a can obsorbes water and holds it like a sponge. After awhile, it stinks and holds the odor.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #10

Here’s a picture of what Supernova74 is talking about.
Attachment 81263

Bucko my plan is to use construction adhesive vertically every 4-6 inches on this product.
I used the same product and technique only thicker to insulate the exterior of my heated garage foundation. The vertical use of adhesive allows for any trapped moisture to run out.

“Owens Corning[emoji2400] FOAMULAR[emoji2400] extruded polystyrene (XPS) insulation a closed-cell, moisture-resistant rigid foam board with excellent long-term stable insulating performance and durability.”
Old 05-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #11

I think funengineer's attachment freaked out. Here is a pic of what i was talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
20220514_113118.jpg  
Old 05-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post
I think funengineer's attachment freaked out. Here is a pic of what i was talking about:

Strange.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	81267
Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #13

Yeah I found the same thing in my 2022 29MV. I just grabbed some Dynaflex black silicone for windows and doors and laid down beads to cover. Worked just fine.
WillieTrippinRV is offline   Reply With Quote