Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29mv general questions

Looking at the 29mv and have a few questions. 1. Living on Texas Gulf Coast I’ll assume 2n A/C is a must. 2. Towing Jeep Wrangler suggestions please. 3rd. Hate to ask for fear of starting war but....... how’s the power in mountains with gas v10? Always pulled with diesels.
Thanks for candid responses.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Camper Bob should be along any second now.... he has a 29MV I believe, lives in Texas, and pulls a Jeep. He'll have all your answers.

Regarding the V10, it's got plenty of power for the mountains, just don't look at the gas gauge...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

I have a 29MV with a single 15,000 BTUH A/C. I have survived quite well hot/humid days running the single A/C off the generator when boondocking at NASCAR races. I do close the ceiling A/C vent in the bedroom and close off the bedroom using the accordion door. I also use a small oscillating fan in the front coach area to mix up the air.

Then I crack open a few cold beers while watching the sat TV... until it's time to catch the tram to the racetrack.

If I had the second A/C I would probably not run it off the genny.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

Lol!! RetiredOne knows me too well!!

Sorry Bullitt, but unless you’ve boondocked ON the lower TX Gulf Coast with the mercury bumping the century mark, you don’t know heat. Maybe some folks in Florida or the desert Southwest get it though.

If you’re camping in Texas between June and September, 2 AC units is a non-negotiable option. I got by with one unit on my 28BHBE, but we didn’t go out in July or August very often. AC just couldn’t keep up.

Boondocking on the TX Gulf Coast, I can hold my living area at 74 degrees with some careful management.

Wrangler is an outstanding toad. I sometimes tow a 1994 YJ and it’s dead simple. I currently tow a 2015 Grand Cherokee, and it tows beautifully. Too many options for Jeeps, but I use Blue Ox gear, and I like it a lot so far.

Honestly haven’t taken the Greyhawk in any serious elevation yet, but I’m not too worried about it. The Triton V10 is a solid platform. The newer units have the advantage of a 6-speed transmission. And for a naturally aspirated gas motor it actually has some pretty decent engine braking. Nothing like a diesel mind you, but it’s pretty good.

If I have the Grand Cherokee along, I might consider doing as some others have done and detach and drive separately for long or severe elevation situations.

Just remember that gas motors generate all their HP and torque very high in the RPM band, so don’t be afraid to let the motor spin up, that’s how it was designed. Let it work, and remember you’re not in a race and you’ll be fine.

Be ready to get an alignment that pushes caster up over 5, install an upgraded steering stabilizer and an upgraded sway bar up front, adjust your rear Hellwog helpers properly, and it will actually drive and ride pretty decent.

We LOVE our rig. So glad to have made the change to a motor home.
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
...snip

If I had the second A/C I would probably not run it off the genny.
The Greyhawk optioned with 2 ACs comes equipped with a Progressive Dynamics power management system. The 2xAC units are 11K BTU each, so no problem running both off the Onan on-board generator.

If it’s really hot, I will run the fridge and water heater on propane. The WH alone takes a ridiculous amount of energy running on AC power. Like 13A IIRC. I don’t worry about it because in that situation we don’t really need a lot of hot water! LOL!!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

Another Texan here. We have a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV and have an appointment to install a second AC unit in the bedroom. Like others, we also use fans but it can still be warm at times. Our tow is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler which works well for us. We just got back from a 5100 mile trip up to Jasper National Park in Canada and towing was a breeze. The power of the RV in the Canadian Rockies was really good surprisingly. At times it sounded like it was going to explode going up the mountains, but it downshifted well on its own going down the mountains.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
Another Texan here. We have a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV and have an appointment to install a second AC unit in the bedroom....
Are you keeping the 15K BTUH A/C in the front and adding a 11K BTUH in the bedroom? Can you run them both from the genny??
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Are you keeping the 15K BTUH A/C in the front and adding a 11K BTUH in the bedroom? Can you run them both from the genny??
yes. I don't know the answer about running them both off of the genny, but will certainly ask and find out for you. We seldom boondock and only use the generator when we stop along the route somewhere to have lunch
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
yes. I don't know the answer about running them both off of the genny, but will certainly ask and find out for you. We seldom boondock and only use the generator when we stop along the route somewhere to have lunch
I think the genny would be able to handle the 11K unit and the 15K unit while running. Startup could potentially be an issue though. But you can often manage that so they don't start up at the same time. I would also have as many other "appliances" off 110AC as possible. Like I mentioned, run the fridge and WH on gas, don't try to run the microwave or coffee pot while both units are running, etc. You would have to manually manage your power load; the units equipped with 2 ACs from the factory come with a system that automatically does that for you. One huge help would be to install a micro air soft starter; a few members have installed them and claim they are VERY effective at reducing the starting amps required for an AC unit.

I imagine the biggest problem would be wiring? The choice is to wire it into the existing 110 panel or run a completely separate circuit. If you run a separate circuit, you could potentially use the 30A on the post with the original rig plugged in, and then plug in the one AC unit alone to the 20A receptacle on the post. If you're boondocking and running the genny, I'm sure there is a way to make it so both units are available.

I'm interested in how this comes out. I've been toying with the idea of trading out my front 11K unit for a 13.5K unit. It's an academic exercise at this point, but I wonder if it would be "plug and play", or if I would have to do any heavy modifications... I think the main issue would be whether the system as configured could handle the extra amp load of the bigger unit. My gut says yes, with proper management. A micro-air might make the difference.

Some quick research on Airexcel website (they make the Coleman AC units) says in the "power saver" model, the "high amp draw" rating is the same at 10A between 11k and 13.5K. Prices are basically the same as well. So if I ever have to (or want to) replace my existing 11K unit, I'll go with a 13.5K "Power Saver" unit and I should be good to go.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)