Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

Greyhawk 29MV vs 30X - which did you choose?

So we are getting more serious about getting a Greyhawk. I LOVE our new Precept 31ULas long as it's parked.but can't get used to driving it
Was fine with our old class 28 foot Class C to share driving with my DH.
The layout of both look great. Which did you choose and what was the deciding factor?
We could also go to a 31 but I don't know if that will be harder to handle for me Thanks!
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 AM   #2

Personally for me, I would give on the floorplan before I gave on the CCC of the unit. Nothing worse then having a rig you can't put much in. That said I've seen the same floorplan's CCC have drastic swings. A 2013 29MV I almost bought had only 1629 pounds, my 2015 has ~2100. That's a lot of extra capacity, and it makes it more usable to us.

So to more directly answer your question, assuming you're at the point where its a toss-up I'd go w/ the one that you can put more stuff in.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #3

I like the bathroom arrangement better on the 29MV. At least on paper. I've heard some of the full wall slides have issues but that was a generic industry statement so I have no idea if this Jayco falls into that category or not. It's something to look into though.

I agree with the CCC comments above. Some of the better equipped class Cs get really close to their weight limits fast.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #4

The 29MV doesn't employ Schwintek for its Dinette/Couch slideout. Its a PowerGear. From what I read awhile ago a lot of the full wall Schwintek slideouts were problematic. I could be wrong.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

We walked the 30X and really liked it. But whatever one I chose, it would be the one with dual AC units.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
we walked the 30x and really liked it. But whatever one i chose, it would be the one with dual ac units.
^^^ x2 ^^^
Old 04-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

31DS. Practical floor plan, bathroom is roomy, bedroom has walk around bed. We. Have had ours for a year now. Just the two of us so we didn't need bunks etc. Just finishing up a 4 month trip and its been great
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

We go for kitchen counter space and outside storage... so the 29MV would be our pick.

But... we went with a Seneca for the diesel and extra towing capacity. Found a used 2015 Seneca 37TS - we've only had it for a few weeks now, and spent one night in it so far... looking forward to many, many more!
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #9

In reference to the 29MV Bathroom. Plenty of room. Duel medicine cabinet. Plenty of leg room. Storage under the sink (just like a house bathroom). Shower is across hall from bathroom. Can handle a 6 ft plus person.
The slide is NOT a full wall slide. It only slides out the dinette and 60 in sofa.
Handles well.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

Went to see Greyhawk today. Love the MV. They didn't have a W to compare.

Want a big refrigerator so that limits us to 29 MV or 29 w.

HERS. I like bedroom in MV but it has less outside storage due to the bed configuration
DH doesn't know if our big blue Coleman grill would fit.

HIS. The W has more outside storage but has very small wardrobe.

Also not sure if U dinette is as comfortable. It was like a rock in our old Forest River Forester. FEEDBACK ANYONE? Thanks again!
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
Went to see Greyhawk today. Love the MV. They didn't have a W to compare.

Want a big refrigerator so that limits us to 29 MV or 29 w.

HERS. I like bedroom in MV but it has less outside storage due to the bed configuration
DH doesn't know if our big blue Coleman grill would fit.

HIS. The W has more outside storage but has very small wardrobe.

Also not sure if U dinette is as comfortable. It was like a rock in our old Forest River Forester. FEEDBACK ANYONE? Thanks again!
We have the Redhawk 29xk which is the same floor plan as the W. We were a bit torn between it and the Greyhawk 29MV. Most of our trips are weekend runs and the occasional 1 week trip so the wardrobe wasn't as big of a deal. I preferred the extra outside storage, increased available weight and the extra room to swap the bed out for a full sized queen. I liked the idea of the extra storage the MV offered but at the end of the day we didn't "need" it.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #12

We looked at the MV, the 26Y, 31DS, and fell upon our 31FK and liked it the best. I had never seen this layout before. So far, these are my thoughts. Mind you, we are weekend campers, with a couple of longer trips during the summer months.

I like:
The front kitchen
The placement of the television in the living area
8cu ft. fridge
queen cab over bed
Queen rear bed that is not on a slide, leaving the entire bedroom usable as we travel without blocking the wardrobes or having to fold the mattress to close the slide. We would have loved all that cabinet space, but honestly, we don't have that much to put in it anyway. It's just the two of us. I found a great bin stack that fit perfectly in our wardrobe that will work beautifully for us.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170328_160651_resized.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	30252
GIANT basement storage under the bedroom because there is no slide here.
Big shower, big bathroom with great cabinets, mirrors and floor space
The regular dinette vs. the awful U dinettes found in many campers.
Pretty nice wardrobe and cabinets in bedroom. Definitely enough for us.
There is nothing behind the passenger seat so I an recline and move as far back as I want.
Lots of room to walk through with the slide completely in. We can use everything in the camper while traveling.
Click image for larger version

Name:	17098435_10158421784700492_8280254046462462188_n.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	30253

Not so much:
The pantry is not too deep, (16") but if it were deeper, I couldn't move my seat back, so I'm ok. Plenty of room for our food for two.
Jack knive sofa. I would prefer a sleeper sofa. I hate theater seating, so I am glad it didn't have that.
I wish the stove was a flat top. Still can't figure out why Jayco doesn't put these in their Greyhawks. Their little tt's have them!
I think I will miss not having a back window. Maybe. Not sure yet. There are ample window views from the bedroom, just not at the very back.

In any case, we are extremely happy with this unit. We are new MH owners, having a hybrid previously. Just having a real bed to sleep in is a blessing. No more climbing in and over my husband to go to bed. My poor knees couldn't take another season of that!

Good luck in your decision. I REALLY liked the MV - I am a cook and loved that kitchen! Probably would have gone that route if we didn't fall on the deal we got on ours.

Happy camping!

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Just having a real bed to sleep in is a blessing.
What did you decide on for a mattress?
Did you get a bigger one in there?

We've got 3" of a Sealy Foam topper on top of the Denver mattress, and it's ok but far from ideal.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
What did you decide on for a mattress?
Did you get a bigger one in there?

We've got 3" of a Sealy Foam topper on top of the Denver mattress, and it's ok but far from ideal.
I didn't do anything yet. I've slept on it a couple of times and find it quite comfortable. After this weekend, our first camp adventure with the hubs and LunatheLab, I'll know if we need to go larger. A king short king will fit perfectly, if we need to do that. I think we'll be fine though. I'll keep you posted!

Did you see the wardrobe shelving I put in? It worked out perfectly, and because we don't hang clothes there is plenty of room for other supplies.

1998 Coleman Seneca pop up
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK - YAY!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Did you see the wardrobe shelving I put in? It worked out perfectly, and because we don't hang clothes there is plenty of room for other supplies.
Yep - sure did. Looks great and I showed it to my wife. There's so much 'difficult to use' space in the 31FK. I spent quite some time building shelving that fits into the front TV cabinet.

Then added a 3rd shelf in the medicine cabinet.

Next up is adding 3 or 4 to the TV cabinet in the bedroom.

After that I may do some custom slides for that odd sized pantry behind the passenger seat.

Like you discovered, the 31FK has the space, the trick I think is figuring out how to make it work for your family.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #16

We went with the 29MV. Deciding factors were the large bedroom storage closets and drawers as our trips are usually a month or longer and the straight kitchen counter space and storage. We have found that there is ample exterior storage and we even put a small refrigerator in the large storage compartment on the passenger side rear. (Dealer installed an AC outlet for us.)
rjsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote