Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #1

Greyhawk 29mvp Cooling & more...

So we think it's being built right now!
We're so excited!

So a few questions for ya'll!

When you're driving how do you cool the mh? Is the front cab ac enough? Do you run another ac? Our mh is supposed to have 2 units.

Does the propane tank have a gauge or can you buy one?

Do you use the navigation or a dedicated rv navigation?

Does anyone have a sort of maintenance list?

Hoping for delivery next week!

Thanks so much,
Chris
seastonemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Cooling depends on outside temps and your comfort level. The front cab area can be cooled pretty well with your regular AC. If your coach area is hot for you then you can turn on the gen while traveling and kick on your coach AC
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:53 AM   #3

Congratulations on your Greyhawk. We love ours. Heading out on Sunday for a week at a Virginia state park.

So far we’ve not had to use the generator and rooftop A/C while driving. The cab A/C has been sufficient. Our propane tank does have a gauge. The in-dash unit does have a GPS, but the maps are woefully out of date and expensive to buy. I use my iPhone stuck on a windshield mount or a TomTom mounted the same. It’s easier to glance at it rather than looking at the center of the dash for a quick look.

Maintenance? There’s always something. The key things to do regularly are checking tire pressures, house battery water levels, change generator oil (first change is at only 20 hours IIRC) inspect roof caulking. Also, when you are loaded for a trip, run your Greyhawk across a CAT scale at a truck stop to check your axle weights.

Just read a lot of the threads under the Class C heading here for other tips. Strike up a discussion with other C owners at the campgrounds. RV owners love to talk about their rigs. And have fun!

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #4

Put vent covers on your rig shortly after you get it. Afterwards, you can leave them open largely w/o fear of water intrusion. How does this answer any of your questions?

If you leave a vent cover open in the rear of the rig, while you're driving down the road w/ your cab A/C on, it'll naturally pull that AC through the coach and out the top vent. Makes the cooling more effective.

Of course, if you still need more spin up the genny and fire up the roof unit.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Mose of the time, dash A/C has always been sufficient for us. The only time I used the roof A/C was when we were in the rocky mountain with steep grades.
I turned off the dash A/C to take some load off the engine. Sometimes I just switch to vent on the dash while pulling the hill.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastonemtn View Post
So we think it's being built right now!
We're so excited!

So a few questions for ya'll!

When you're driving how do you cool the mh? Is the front cab ac enough? Do you run another ac? Our mh is supposed to have 2 units.

Sometimes the cab offers enough cooling, but in the warmer months, we run with the generator and the front AC unit on (usually leave the back one off unless someone is sleeping back there)

Does the propane tank have a gauge or can you buy one?

Mine came with a gauge, but I only intend to use it as a "guide" as I don't trust it

Do you use the navigation or a dedicated rv navigation?

Mine has the infamous Garmin head unit in it. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. When I don't, I'm using my iPhone in a dash mount.

Does anyone have a sort of maintenance list?

Hoping for delivery next week!

Thanks so much,
Chris
Congrats and good luck!!

You should give yourself a pat on the back for ordering this unit with2 AC units. Makes life MUCH nicer when you can keep the unit cool on a hot day in full sun!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Oh Thank you all!!

We were specifically wondering if anyone fired up the genny!

By vent covers, I'm guessing you mean the hot water heater, bathroom fan, & I think there is one more...

I'm sure there will be more questions to come! Completion date is today...hoping there is "no delay"!

Thanks so much!
Chris
Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #8

By "vent covers" they are talking about covers that mount over the standard 14" x 14" roof vents. They are mounted on the roof and the grill openings face to the rear. You can open the vents even when it's raining and the rain won't get inside. We had a Fantastic Fan installed in place of the manual fan and have a black vent cover over the fan. We prefer sleeping at night with windows cracked and the fan on a low speed which creates a little white noise.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #9

Thank you!
Do you know how many vent covers we'll need for the mv?

I'd like to have an idea...We are going to have a somewhat limited time before we take off on our first adventure and are trying to be as prepared as possible!
We do plan to camp locally for a few days to check everything out!

I do think we'll try the included fan for awhile and see if we like it.

btw I've read some discussion about people draining their hot water heater between uses.

We never did that in our TT...wonder if others do?

We usually go out at least every 2 months except Oct-Jan.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #10

You need one vent cover
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #11

If you are having the 2 a/c system, then in the 29MV you would need only one vent cover, which is in the bathroom. I can not swear as to exactly what you would need in the 29MVP. You will notice the noise from the standard one-speed fan; the Fantastic Fan has about 10 speeds and is very quiet. I had the dealer install the new fan and vent cover prior to delivery.

As far as the water heater is concerned, there was a thread a month ago or so on that subject. I don't know what the consensus was, but I do not drain mine unless I know the rig is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. It's not a really big deal for us since we only use the hot water for showers and dishes. We take bottled water for cooking, drinking, brushing teeth, etc.

To me, doing a shakedown trip with a new RV is almost mandatory. You are bound to forget something or run into a quandary as to how something works or is supposed to work and doesn't. We did a three night shakedown trip that was 45 miles from our home and only 5 miles from the dealer where we purchased the 29MV. That way, if we found something major, we were 5 miles from help. Just take your time adjusting to the new RV, listen, learn, and when in campgrounds, ask fellow campers for help. You'll have all the assistance, knowledge, and tools that you could want.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

I agree that if you have 2 AC units, you'll need one vent cover; over the bathroom vent.

I had a Camco on my trailer and it didn't last. On my MH, I installed a Maxxair (IIRC) and it seems to be a bit "sturdier". I also had a problem with the OEM "Fart fan" as we call it, so I took it out and replaced with a Heng's multi-speed fan. This allowed me NOT to break the OEM roof seal, and more importantly, saved me some money. I don't expect it to last forever, and when it dies I will likely replace with something like a Fantastic fan that has an integrated cover.

Someone mentioned running the generator under way, and we do that routinely as well. Sometimes we don't need to, but sometimes it gets up over 105*, and driving down a TX highway in those temperatures, we need to run all the AC we can get. Also on this front, be careful with younger people riding in the back. If you're running the dash AC, you may not realize how hot it has become in the living space. This happened to us once. We thought everything was fine, my son was asleep in his car seat strapped in. DW climbed back there to check on him and discovered it was pretty warm back there. Nothing dangerous, but I would have been very uncomfortable.

If my son just wants to watch a movie while we drive, and we don't need the AC units running, I will run the inverter which powers the (modified) outlet in the bunk (and thus the TV and DVD player). If it's just me and him, I pipe his movie sound into the cab through the head unit in the dash (which manages all the coach sound) and listen while he watches.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote